• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beating Dark Souls 2 on PS3 made me understand why so many people disliked Scholar Of The First Sin Edition + POLL

I think Dark Souls 2...

• ...was good, and I only played SOTFS Edition

Votes: 54 29.0%
  • ...was bad, and I only played SOTFS Edition

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • ...was good, and I only played the original version

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • ...was bad, and I only played the original version

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • ...was GOOD, and I played both!

Votes: 76 40.9%
  • ...was BAD, and I played both! Why tho...

Votes: 18 9.7%

• Total voters

Ladioss

Both DS2 and SOTFS were bad IMO - except the multiplayer, with which I had tons of fun.

I don't like DS3 much either. Best Souls games are DeS/DS1/Bloodborne/Sekiro, by far.

Last edited:
Vanilla (non sotfs) dark souls 2 is WAY BETTER.
sotfs just turned everything into a trap, randomized enemies, items and it's just a plain more annoying experience. I dislike the dlc for the same reasons.
But vanilla ds2 is amazing. Don't get me wrong, I love sotfs too but vanilla easily wins for me. They got it all right.
I would bring only 1 change from sotfs to vanilla and that is to give the player that item so you can enchant weapons sooner.

heide knights? Kinghts lost without their kingdom, wondering about... NAH LETS PUTE THEM ALL IN HEIDE
Dragon? Oh sure, why not put him right in front of the guy who kills dragons.
Not everything is a trap... The enemies and items are not randomized, they are just moved to different areas...

The Heide knights are sloshed after having a reunion. They don't sober up until you do some crazy shit like kill the dragon that roasted their marshmallows or kill their entertainer who performed tricks with the dragon for their amusement before he also got sloshed. Unfortunately, one Heide Knight couldn't make it because he got stuck in the Gutter and another couldn't make it because he got locked up for public indecency before the Bastille went completely to hell and has been stuck ever since.

The dragons are actually more intelligent then they appear. The one sitting outside the chapel baited the Dragon Slayer inside by landing on top and then pulled the lever for the bridge. Its been laughing at his expense for years and refused to let anyone lower the bridge. Your ass would have been bacon too when you attempted to lower the bridge if the dragon didn't get sloshed as well after the Dragon Rider crashed the reunion and got it drunk.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Scholar is a banger game. I vastly prefer DS2 over the other souls games. Bloodborne is king by a metric mile, but DS2 leads the pack after for me.

It took me 6 tries across multiple years to get into DS2 . I always stopped at the pirate ship cave because that area sucked so much ass.

BbMajor7th

Scholar is a banger game. I vastly prefer DS2 over the other souls games. Bloodborne is king by a metric mile, but DS2 leads the pack after for me.

It took me 6 tries across multiple years to get into DS2 . I always stopped at the pirate ship cave because that area sucked so much ass.
Yeah, No Man's Wharf is some cruel-ass bullshit. The fact that they only added the bridge short cut in SotFS makes it all the worse.

Really, the bridge to the boss was all No Man's Wharf needed as the shadow enemies were pacified by using a Pharos stone or torch and the Norsemen could be outrun or taken on individually or in sets of two. Only the shadows in the house with Gavlan presented a serious challenge without a torch in the PS3 version. In Scholar of the First Sin it is relatively easy to run to the bridge lever with a torch and back to the bonfire before attempting the boss.

Bumping this thread because I don't feel like making a new one just to ask one question:

Should I play or skip Scholar of the First Sin?

I'm currently replaying a bunch of Souls games after Elden since I never played the DLC for most. First was Bloodborne, then DS3 which I'm almost done with (Ringed City is a bitch).

Next is either DS2 or Nioh. DS2 should be the natural choice but the thing is, I wasn't very fond of it back when it launched. Supposedly SotFS was supposed to fix a lot of issues, but I read through this thread and some folk are saying it's even worse? I don't know what to think lol.

I'm leaning towards skip, unless the DLC is exceptional and not to be missed.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Original is better than scholar and better than dlc. SCHOLAR and DLC is just a gank squad trap fest which aims to f you over all the time.... that said I still like it more than other souls probably
Vanilla is all about atmosphere and progression. Love the game.

On pc, it is still sold separately. But it is patched with Aldia character but it's ok. Unfortunately there is no way to play durability fixed game on pc without aldia patch.

Last edited:
It has superior item placement to original (Ember/Fragrant Branches/Rings/Estus Shards/Weapons early on) and a few added shortcuts (No Man's Wharf and Dragon Aerie) to make the game less difficult. A bunch of added Pursuer events across the Lost Bastille for farming twilight titanite. More Heide knights and a sleepy dragon in Heide's Ruins. Otherwise it is very similar to original and 3 DLC areas are unchanged as far as I can recall. I think it is worth playing, but your mileage may vary.

I would say knock Nioh out of the park before going on a non-linear adventure with mechanics that deviate from the formula that you are used to. Don't forget adaptability stat controls item use speed and invincibility during rolls. Also, double chugging Estus to negate damage taken during animation is important. If you are doing a low level health build it is vital to acquire Gower's Ring of Protection in Shaded Woods as it allows you to survive any hit from behind.

P.S. DS2fix mod for PC addresses durability issue in 60fps for original release.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Best dark souls game...better than 1 and 3, worse than everything else from soft. Such a great experience playing it.

Last edited:

MetalRain

I guess I tried to play them both, but don't remember any differences. But I didn't get too far maybe they changed some end game content? I liked how open DS2 is, more healing possibilities and more rings.

MiguelItUp

I'm not gonna vote because I only played SOTFS and thought it was fine. I didn't think it was bad, and I didn't think it was good. But by the end of the game I felt like it was easily the worst for me. I mean, finishing it felt like a total chore, a feeling I didn't get from any of the other Souls games.

I didn't even bother playing the DLC, though I'd like to since I've seen people praise it over the regular game.

I looked up the differences between OG and SOTFS and I don't think my experience would've changed if I played OG.

To me, aside from a few mechanics, it felt like a watered down Souls game. I don't think it's great, I don't think it's horrible, it's just fine.

I liked DS2 at the time. Best PvP in the series by far. Never bothered with the rerelease.
I've always sucked at pvp but I did manage to solo kill an invader for the 1st time in DS2!

The game had the best DLC and the best build variety until elden ring came along. Well worth playing.

Respec is a controversial topic. On one hand, a lack of respec makes you feel the weight of your decisions as to where you steer your build which worked great in Bloodborne. On the other hand, respec is just fun and can make you change the way you play the game. I think it should be there in Elden Ring, but either very limited (like allowing you to reallocate max to 5 points by using a very rare item) and/or be available only from NG+ onwards, to preserve that experience of deliberation but later allow changing up gameplay to keep it fresh.
The problem is that very few games actually balance correctly for non-respec, and the player ends up having to do research on builds which takes away from the surprise of the game. If you level up your spell slots or weight limit, suddenly you find yourself softlocked because you get to an area where opponents are doing one hit kills and you are barely doing a scratch. In Elden Ring, some of the best late game strength weapons required a ton of dex too. Suddenly, unless you re-spec, if you were a strength only player you had to go grind dex of all things just to wield a massive weapon.

Even aside from souls games, in other RPG games where you have a speech level, if you work towards maxing that out, most of the games eventually funnel you into combat anyway and then you feel severely underleveled and ill-equipped for such encounters that you couldn't win with speech. I know that people will argue 'well that's the point' but some players just don't have time to get into a bad run, waste essentially 30 hours, and restart the game from the beginning because they thought the game was advertised as being more open that it actually was, and that same game suddenly switched up on them by the time it's too late.

Last edited:
I thought it was funny when it came out and people were trying to find connections to Dark Souls 1 when there are next to none. Posting screenshots of some blurry background rock placement on Reddit and being like "Is ThIs FiReLiNk ShRiNe???!!!!"

So I'm back a week later, having completed Scholar of the First Sin + DLCs. My opinion on Dark Souls 2 in general hasn't changed much after this replay: it's the weakest Souls game, but it is by no means a 'bad' game. Honestly, SotFS wasn't much different from what I remember of vanilla. There were a few more ambushes for sure, and the enemy leash was INCREDIBLY long (thank god they've never been that long again), but that's about all I noticed. Aside from that, the game was just as experimental and occasionally annoying as I recalled.

For instance, I hate the design decision to have so many shortcut bonfires hidden. I'm okay with having to trek back to the boss (I just replayed Bloodborne & DS3 so I'm quite used to it), but making the player do an even LONGER run back just because they didn't find the completely random illusory wall is just a crappy design decision. Glad they did away with that nonsense in the following games. Though I think Elden took it a bit too far with the Marika Shrines... but that's another discussion.

Also, the geography of Dark Souls 2 has always bothered me because of how so many areas don't connect in a logical way. Why does Heide's Tower appear miles away, but is only a 30 second walk from Majula? Why does Earthen Peak, a giant isolated windmill, have an elevator that goes UP into an iron castle that has sunken into lava??? WTF???
I know that seems like a weird complaint but one of my favorite things to do in Dark Souls games is take in the view and see if I can path out where I'll be going over the course of the game. You can't really do that in Dark Souls 2 because, again, nothing really connects. The DLC is the only time where you actually can do that.

On the subject of geography, one thing I do like is the torch lighting mechanic. It's completely superficial in most cases, but seeing The Gutter lit up and visible thanks to all your work is a satisfying feeling lol. It's silly, but I have to admit I miss torch lighting mechanics in these games. Also, THE TORCHES CAST VISIBLE SHADOWS IN DARK SOULS 2. Why doesn't Elden have that??? C'mon From...

Anyway, when all is said and done, even though I still think it's the 'worst' Souls game, it's still a pretty good game overall. A solid 8.5/10

Lastly, I actually really liked the DLCs. They were short and sweet Legacy dungeons (to adopt Elden nomenclature) with some fun bosses. No complaints here, as opposed to my general dislike of Ringed City (fuck those Angels and Summoners).

oS4J1cn.jpg

It has superior item placement to original (Ember/Fragrant Branches/Rings/Estus Shards/Weapons early on) and a few added shortcuts (No Man's Wharf and Dragon Aerie) to make the game less difficult. A bunch of added Pursuer events across the Lost Bastille for farming twilight titanite. More Heide knights and a sleepy dragon in Heide's Ruins. Otherwise it is very similar to original and 3 DLC areas are unchanged as far as I can recall. I think it is worth playing, but your mileage may vary.

I would say knock Nioh out of the park before going on a non-linear adventure with mechanics that deviate from the formula that you are used to. Don't forget adaptability stat controls item use speed and invincibility during rolls. Also, double chugging Estus to negate damage taken during animation is important. If you are doing a low level health build it is vital to acquire Gower's Ring of Protection in Shaded Woods as it allows you to survive any hit from behind.

P.S. DS2fix mod for PC addresses durability issue in 60fps for original release.
Just wanted to say thanks for the detailed response as well as the tip to double chug Estus. Saved my ass quite a few times lol

Also apologies to OP for the bump again. This will be my last one.

Last edited:
Really, the game is the realization of everything I wanted in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link so I am biased. However, just a day ago I decided to dual wield Chaos Blade (Lost Sinner NG+) with the Majestic Greatsword (Iron King DLC) and spent time running around doing heavy thrust, light dual slash and heavy dual spinning slash flip. It was fun. There is a lot of hidden things like that in this game that are hidden away. I agree that the game is a bit cryptic at times. In fact, it was the last time through that I discovered a portion of Undead Crypt below that made the statues light up like in the bonfire warp picture.

I may be in the minority, but I think this game has the most variety of entertainment to offer of any Souls game. For example, try spell parrying the Amana Priestesses in Amana Shrine with the special shield for it. It is a different game.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm not hardcore purist so I'll be playing DS2SOTFS on Series S probably. What was that attribute that enhanced your roll?

Nice write up Bartski Bartski

I put in a couple of hours. Really loved the atmosphere

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm not hardcore purist so I'll be playing DS2SOTFS on Series S probably. What was that attribute that enhanced your roll?

Nice write up Bartski Bartski

I put in a couple of hours. Really loved the atmosphere
Adaptability in detail:

iframe calculator:

basically, you need around 25 ADP for the roll to work more or less like DS1 or DS3.

Bumping this thread because I don't feel like making a new one just to ask one question:

I'm currently replaying a bunch of Souls games after Elden since I never played the DLC for most. First was Bloodborne, then DS3 which I'm almost done with (Ringed City is a bitch).

Next is either DS2 or Nioh. DS2 should be the natural choice but the thing is, I wasn't very fond of it back when it launched. Supposedly SotFS was supposed to fix a lot of issues, but I read through this thread and some folk are saying it's even worse? I don't know what to think lol.

If you are considering Nioh, I would say you can safely skip 1 and play Nioh 2 instead. It is the most direct sequel I have ever seen, the story isn't super important between games, and 2 is just better all around without losing anything that the first had. I think they are better than DS2 personally, but I also think DS2 is the worst FROM game out of all the Soulsborne.
That being said, DS2 is still better than a lot of games

If you are considering Nioh, I would say you can safely skip 1 and play Nioh 2 instead. It is the most direct sequel I have ever seen, the story isn't super important between games, and 2 is just better all around without losing anything that the first had. I think they are better than DS2 personally, but I also think DS2 is the worst FROM game out of all the Soulsborne.
That being said, DS2 is still better than a lot of games
Thanks for the suggestion, but my friend wants to play Nioh in coop with me so I'm not going to skip it. Really looking forward to 2, though! That character creator looks really good.

k_trout

played it for the first time last month and really enjoyed it, more than ds1 less than ds3, though now I am playing sekiro and enjoying that more than all 3 put together

Kssio_Aug

I voted "...was good, and I only played SOTFS Edition".

HOWEVER, besides considering it a good game, I also think it is the worst, by far, From Software game. Plenty of unfair encounters with mobs of enemies coming at your way, making it in many situations impossible to fight one or two enemies at a time. It was quite clunky, imo.

But overall, still a good game and I had a good time playing it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but my friend wants to play Nioh in coop with me so I'm not going to skip it. Really looking forward to 2, though! That character creator looks really good.
1 and 2 are the most similar games I've ever seen as far as sequels. 2 just has a few upgrades, more weapons, character creator, etc. I think it's also a better challenge overall. They also are set up like a looter game in addition to the Soulslike combat. They are a bit of hybrid

Ni7r

Banned
The worst game in a lineup full of masterpieces. The souls gameplay loop is just addictive and fun as hell, no matter how bland the bosses, how annoying the enemy placements and how illogical the world design. The Majula theme is iconic and due to the nonsensical level transitions and environmental variety DSII felt the most „videogamey“ out of all the From titles to me.

Still prefer it to the vast majority of other games.

Oh, and the DLC is _fantastic_.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Vanilla. For every good change they made two bad ones. They ruined areas by just adding more enemies and others having them follow you forever. A few item placement differences doesn't cancel that out.

Dark souls 2 is a controversial game. The main thing pretty much everyone agrees on is it had the best pvp in the series. Everything else you'll get very different opinions.

matty3092

Tip from what I remember playing SOTFS 2 years ago the game doesn't indicate this at all but ur movement is much quicker when ur not locked on to an enemy so try break that habit wish I had of figured it out sooner in my playthrough

Top Bottom