• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been (re)watching the Star Trek shows - SPOILERS up to new shows

Pilgrimzero

I watched reruns of the original show way back in the day. Watched all of TNG when it aired and same for DS9. From there it get spotty. Half of Voyager maybe a season of Enterprise. And now the new stuff (plus the old cartoon) on Paramount+

Original series: Still very charming. A tad sexist and a smidge racist but its a product of its time. Nothing beats the Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio. Charming and classic.

Animated Series: Only like 6 episodes deep and... it's fine. *shrugs* I don't know. It's like the live show but with the wierdness cranked up or something with half the budget. I mean yea its a kids cartoon and you cant go home again. I have the same issue trying to watch the Droids cartoon on Disney+.

TNG: Once Riker gets his beard the series really takes off. Some iconic episodes and characters. Going from Kirk to Picard was such a change. I remember watching the original airing in my parents bedroom on their small tv. Q is still the best character. Set the standard for all future Treks.

DS9: True world building and ongoing storylines. Im just going to say it but DS9 is Trek at its best. Maybe not the most iconic of characters (aside from Garrick and Quark who are the best) but the setting and story were top tier. Also, Vic Fontaine forever.

Voyager: Back to the exploration roots, characters where fine. Holo Doc being the best. Borg and Time Travel start to be over done. Ending felt to easy and rushed. It was... fine. Next up on my rewatch binge.

Enterprise: This show never clicked with me and I dont know why. It didnt seem very Star Trek to me. And when it introduced the borg and time travel I just checked out. It said to me that they had no idea how to draw in viewers and went back to the tired time travel well. I need to give it a rewatch after Voyager.

Discovery: Rough 1st season. Love Saru. Got better in Season 2 and 3. Love the new reset universe of Season 3 allows for new discoveries and tech in a setting people recognize (unlike Voyager). Although I expected something more interesting behind the cause of all the death and destruction and not a mutant man-child with trauma. Oh and them trying to explain why the Klingons looked different any tech is so advanced EXCEPT on the Enterprise was hilarious.

Picard: Loved it. The last episode had some serious SERIOUS issues though. Like Riker showing up saying hey and then leaving. And the sad death scene that seemed pointless 10 seconds later... lazy lazy storytelling. Over all though a great show.

Lower Decks: Amazing and Hilarious. My wife isnt a big Trek fan and loves it, of course as fan you get all the refences and deep cuts in each episode. So it works for fans and non fans alike! Thats good stuff.

Random musings: Aside from the original episode, anything with the mirror universe is lame. This made most of Discovery a chore. If its one thing Trek needs to stay far away from its: Borg, Mirror Universe, and Time Travel. Also O'Brien is a boring character solo. Also also, have more Ferengi characters.

AJUMP23

Like I also somewhat said, Im well aware it has issues, but I love Capt Picard so the more the better.
I think they turned Cpt Picard into something he wasn't. Much like Johnson did with Luke Skywalker. Also the story of Romulan refugees doesn't even begin to make sense since they are one of the most powerful empires on the planet....and could certainly have the fleet to move their people to non federation planets. It is like nobody even asked that question. In the writers room they said "we need a refuge story, Who should we use? Romulans......Great idea," No one asked "Does that make sense". Refugees are nothing new to ST. They just started fully dumb and stayed there with Picard.

Pilgrimzero

I think they turned Cpt Picard into something he wasn't. Much like Johnson did with Luke Skywalker. Also the story of Romulan refugees doesn't even begin to make sense since they are one of the most powerful empires on the planet....and could certainly have the fleet to move their people to non federation planets. It is like nobody even asked that question. In the writers room they said "we need a refuge story, Who should we use? Romulans......Great idea," No one asked "Does that make sense". Refugees are nothing new to ST. They just started fully dumb and stayed there with Picard.

I was shocked when in the future (in Discovery) the Romulans and Vulcans recombine and rename their shared planet from Vulcan to whatever it was

ManaByte

Discovery: Rough 1st season. Love Saru. Got better in Season 2 and 3. Love the new reset universe of Season 3 allows for new discoveries and tech in a setting people recognize (unlike Voyager). Although I expected something more interesting behind the cause of all the death and destruction and not a mutant man-child with trauma. Oh and them trying to explain why the Klingons looked different any tech is so advanced EXCEPT on the Enterprise was hilarious.

Picard: Loved it. The last episode had some serious SERIOUS issues though. Like Riker showing up saying hey and then leaving. And the sad death scene that seemed pointless 10 seconds later... lazy lazy storytelling. Over all though a great show.

Lower Decks: Amazing and Hilarious. My wife isnt a big Trek fan and loves it, of course as fan you get all the refences and deep cuts in each episode. So it works for fans and non fans alike! Thats good stuff.

While I agree with you about Season 2 of DISCO (the show has the best Pike in all of Star Trek), this thread is about to go to shit with negativity.

I was shocked when in the future (in Discovery) the Romulans and Vulcans recombine and rename their shared planet from Vulcan to whatever it was

That was the best episode of Season 3. Showed that Spock's efforts were successful, even if it took hundreds of years to happen. Looks like they return to Ni'Var in Season 4.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

So did they ever mention what happens to Sisko?

He's like "maybe a year". and thats it. No mention in any ST show/movie as far as I know.

ManaByte

So did they ever mention what happens to Sisko?

He's like "maybe a year". and thats it. No mention in any ST show/movie as far as I know.

In the DS9 documentary, the writers plot out a hypothetical premiere episode Season 8 which would've been set 20 years later. Captain Nog of the Defiant is killed by Section 31. Nog was also a mentor to Molly O'Brien and Joseph Sisko and discovered that Vedek Kira was hiding Jem'Hadar who converted to the Bajor religion. His murder lures Odo back to the station. Bashir is leading Section 31 and is trying to force Bajor into the Federation. Sisko materializes from the wormhole at the end of the episode.

Pilgrimzero

Im like 8 episodes into a Voyager rewatch and man they've already fucked over 2 societies.

Ruined ones view of its major religion and made a new "richest man in the world" on another planet. Also, the gave up way to easy on the device that could transport them 2/3rds of the way home. If that one leader wont help... talk to one of the other leaders...

Of course had I been Captain I'd have forced them to use that tech on us. 2/3rds of the way home is 2/3rds of the way home.

Top Bottom