• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beijing’s big air jumps at the 2022 Winter Olympics look like a dystopian hellscape

this really the best place they could come up with to set up this event?

FK_x4x_XIAY0Hgq

Mistake

What's been remarkable to me is the almost total lack of snow. All the snow for the events is man-made, and the surrounding landscape is completely bare. Not much of a winter wonderland.
That’s because Beijing is basically a desert. It rarely rains or snows, and occasionally even has sandstorms. I can’t check the exact distance, but the gobi desert is west of it

MrMephistoX

What’s nuts is that they could have just done the events in Qindao or Harbin in the Northeast where it’s actually wintery but I guess no one got the memo it’s okay to host some events outside of Beijing?

Pejo

I think it's pretty metal. The article says that the participants are praising it, but one has to wonder if it's not a threat to safety/foreign relations/social credit to say it looks bad.

FK_zHj2WUAIZNcC

usa_today_17633324.jpg

The dumbest thing from what I read is that they're leaving it up all year to encourage people to try winter sports, but like...who the fuck that isn't already expertly trained in ski jumping is just going to wake up one day and say "yea what the fuck, I'll give it a shot".

Dural

What's been remarkable to me is the almost total lack of snow. All the snow for the events is man-made, and the surrounding landscape is completely bare. Not much of a winter wonderland.

The downhill course was put on a mountain that doesn't get snow, the IOC knew this from the beginning. Their excuse back when Beijing got the 2022 games was that the skiers like the artificial snow more.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The downhill course was put on a mountain that doesn't get snow, the IOC knew this from the beginning. Their excuse back when Beijing got the 2022 games was that the skiers like the artificial snow more.
The skiers have been falling and given little practice because of Covid.

Dural

The skiers have been falling and given little practice because of Covid.

Yeah, I think 20 of the skiers in the women's GS fell, including some of the best in the world. All falling at the same spot too.

Anyone that's skied on artificial snow knows how icy it can get.

Last edited:
There are some reports of more frequent and worse injuries already just days into this winter Olympics. Hopefully all is well for the athletes competing.

I'd be lying if I ignored the bad optics of such a photo and backdrop. Way to put your best foot forward.

zeorhymer

She is going to try and make that Chinese and American money. I think Tess leduex got robbed of that gold. US should revoke her citizenship.
Watched a vid about her. She has a US citizenship, but China does not allow dual. Supposedly she revoked it at 15, but US laws says you can't do it til 16. Then there's the millions of sponsors she's getting and the excuse to teach young Chinese girls to ski. Did she bother to look into CCP history on 1 child rule and all of girls being abandoned etc. Of course not.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The entire event seems like being held in the middle of nowhere in Mongolia. It's that bleak. Looks like some damn desert.

Mongolia and Western China are probably beautiful. Over 90% of China's population is clumped into their Eastern half, its crazy.

E-Cat

Nuclear power is clean and a sensible part of the energy mix of the future consisting of it, solar, wind, geothermal and hydro. Nothing dystopian about it (yes, I know it's a steel mill).

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Watched a vid about her. She has a US citizenship, but China does not allow dual. Supposedly she revoked it at 15, but US laws says you can't do it til 16. Then there's the millions of sponsors she's getting and the excuse to teach young Chinese girls to ski. Did she bother to look into CCP history on 1 child rule and all of girls being abandoned etc. Of course not.
I wonder if she asked her mom why she left?

Tschumi

There's a famous factory-turned-art gallery in central Beijing called 798... Ai Wei Wei was getting big there when i lived there, i knew an Australian diplohusband who rented a space there... it was great... and i heard of another one further out, called the [i forget] factory, anyway renovating abandoned industrial sites is a legitimate architectural thing there.

I think this is ego.

Some intern had a cheesy idea and his auteur boss took it as his own and, with a huge budget, found the biggest complex he could and totally screwed up the scale ratios. The upshot is, as the OP said, a calamity of tasteless architecture.

It’s just ugly and awful looking. The aesthetic is terrible. They had to realize how those pictures were going to come off.
It is ugly, but every time I see China in the title, dystopian is always the word that follows.

It's just ugly and it doesn't represent anything regarding China. It was just a bad choice for the Winter Olympics.

nush

Gold Member

nush

Gold Member
Uhh

Ugh, I wasn’t talking about Gaf… the word “here” is not even present in my post so I have no idea why you just came guns blazing

I was being factual and pragmatic, not aggressive. You also didn't specify you were not specifically talking about GAF without the "Here".

Top Bottom