• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beijing’s big air jumps at the 2022 Winter Olympics look like a dystopian hellscape

I was being factual and pragmatic, not aggressive. You also didn't specify you were not specifically talking about GAF without the "Here".
I mean, you supposed I was talking about Gaf, which I weren't. But sure, fair enough.
Chill Relax GIF

Durien

Wouldnt it wild if they had an event where you jump over one of those giant smokestacks with giant ramps!?

A very easy event to judge. Clear the hole = 10. Into the hole = an obituary.
I'd watch that. It would be awesome if they could wear what the want. Cow costumes and such.
"And from the US, dressed like Santa Claus, Uncle Sam. On deck in the leiterhosen, Germany."

Cyberpunkd

Watched a vid about her. She has a US citizenship, but China does not allow dual. Supposedly she revoked it at 15, but US laws says you can't do it til 16. Then there's the millions of sponsors she's getting and the excuse to teach young Chinese girls to ski. Did she bother to look into CCP history on 1 child rule and all of girls being abandoned etc. Of course not.
She doesn't care, she is making top money. The citizenship part is the interesting part, my guess is she did what many people do when a country does not allow for dual - they just ignore it and keep the two anyway. She is high profile so my guess is China looks the other way and doesn't require the proof she got her US one revoked.
Will be funny when one day she slips and will use her US passport for travel.

I think they were going for ‘industrial cool’ because, you know, snowboarding is cool. Might have been able to pull it off in a country that’s mostly nice & picturesque and that was the contrast. But because it’s China, it just seems representative of the country, an industrial wasteland.

Also, on another note is it mandatory for women snowboarders to have wisps of blonde hair poking out either side of their beanie or something?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think it's pretty metal. The article says that the participants are praising it, but one has to wonder if it's not a threat to safety/foreign relations/social credit to say it looks bad.

FK_zHj2WUAIZNcC

usa_today_17633324.jpg

The dumbest thing from what I read is that they're leaving it up all year to encourage people to try winter sports, but like...who the fuck that isn't already expertly trained in ski jumping is just going to wake up one day and say "yea what the fuck, I'll give it a shot".
Snow Fail GIF by Pit Viper

AJUMP23

Gold Member
l7hckv19ypg81.jpg

I will just use this thread to talk about the Olympics. I really feel for Mikeala Shiffrin, who is possibly the best skier in the world and has gated out on her 2 best events. She sat on the hill for 20 minutes after the second event, and then in her interview she questioned her entire life's work.

0mdatsaujrg81.jpg

But on the other side, Jacobellis finally won gold, since her silly trick cost her gold in 2006. Nice to get the monkey off the back.

Dural

A little Chinese cheating in the speed skating.

Also the officials taking the gold from Hungary and giving it to China is some home team officiating if ever there was any.

Called that on the Hungarian and gave China GOld.

That is something else, pushing the puck into the other skater. SMH.

Love that Jacobellis got gold, great moment.

RAÏSanÏa

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

Alx

But on the other side, Jacobellis finally won gold, since her silly trick cost her gold in 2006. Nice to get the monkey off the back.
Woah, she's still competing 16 years later ? Impressive. I remember watching her 2006 final live, it was hilarious. I even kept a video record of it on my computer for a few years, such an entertaining show.

Tams

It looks like a raw chicken/hen/duck.
It's probably boiled chicken.

Actually pretty tasty (if boiled in a nice broth/with some nice sauce) and nice and soft, but it never looks good and absolutely not something you'd serve to people who have never tried it before when trying to impress them.

idk...when I see those the first word I think of is not "dystopian" but rather "industrial". I'm all for hating on china...but come on, we can do better than that

Tams

idk...when I see those the first word I think of is not "dystopian" but rather "industrial". I'm all for hating on china...but come on, we can do better than that
It just doesn't fit in with the Winter Olympics. The Winter Olympics and it doesn't even look like there's any fucking snow.

It just doesn't fit in with the Winter Olympics. The Winter Olympics and it doesn't even look like there's any fucking snow.
The weird part is some hundreds of Kms further up there is a quite snowy region of China. Why they didn't have it there is beyond me. Beijing gonna Beijing I suppose.

Laieon

Talking about bad environment, dont forget bad food for athletes holed up in hotels.

My snack before bed is better than this. LOL

2022-Olympics-Food-Brutal-Pictures-Quarantine-1.png
It's no Italian meal, that's for sure.

I'm a teacher in the US and this honestly looks on par if not slightly better than what the cafeteria at my school serves. The kids very rarely finish their food, it's abhorrent and disgusting. We've gone through 4 vendors in 3 years and have yet to find one that's good.

I'm a teacher in the US and this honestly looks on par if not slightly better than what the cafeteria at my school serves. The kids very rarely finish their food, it's abhorrent and disgusting. We've gone through 4 vendors in 3 years and have yet to find one that's good.
My middle school and high school contracted with some local Mexican restaurants, it was pretty great

One of the advantages of living in Southern California I guess

No idea if they still do this, but the burritos were amazing

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

From what I see in media, at least lots of US schools have lunch programs. When I went to school, there was no real organized lunch offered. Everyone had to brown bag it themselves. If you forgot to bring your lunch, you were toast and had to ask friends to half a sandwich.

Here's the food I had offered growing up at school.

Elementary school = a long table where lunch ladies sold juice (I think for 35 cents)

Middle school = a long table where lunch ladies sold juice and giant cookies

High school = a small kitchen where if you had money you could buy some breakfast stuff like a coffee or muffin in the morning and pizza slices were offered at lunch. Nothing was free. I dont even think many students even bought the morning food. It was more for the teachers. There was a vending machine if you wanted to buy soft drinks. There was no place within walking distance for lunch so you were stuck. Closest thing with food was a small gas station across the street selling their usual junk food and snacks.

Never been to a school where they had a real kitchen selling or offering trays of food. Not that I'd care since the trayed food is probably crap any way.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Im not really bothered by it. But nuclear power unfortunately is unfeasible there is simply too much nimby associated with it. Even the Germans whom are pragmatic will shut down every nuclear power plant in thier country by the end of 2022. And moving to more domestic coal and Russian oil. 🤡

Ya that one chick is a traitor. She does look like a sociopath.

nush

Never been to a school where they had a real kitchen selling or offering trays of food.

I have, England. Early 80's shit food no choice, by the late 80's buffet style and you could choose what you wanted. If what you wanted was chips then you could, back before that chips were the devil and powdered mashed potato was the only choice because it was "Healthier". There were actual big kitchens in the schools back then.

Blade2.0

I think this shows more just how powerful they are. They looked the rest of the world in the eye and said "we can build a ski ramp anywhere we fucking want to, chumps!"

nush

I think this shows more just how powerful they are.

Powerful? No. They just throw money at a project to look that way when anybody else with any sense would see it was not worth the effort. The technology to make fake snow has been around for a long time. China just wanted a sequel to the last Beijing Olympics, the one with the CGI fireworks.

Beijing Olympics II: Arctic Boogaloo

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Powerful? No. They just throw money at a project to look that way when anybody else with any sense would see it was not worth the effort. The technology to make fake snow has been around for a long time. China just wanted a sequel to the last Beijing Olympics, the one with the CGI fireworks.

Beijing Olympics II: Arctic Boogaloo
That was my point, though. You really shouldn't have deleted what else I said. Lol

JayK47

Worst Olympics EVER! I can't even be bothered to watch. So much cheating and poor treatment of the athletes. No way is it even close to competitive. Truly this is all the proof we need to see that the IOC is corrupt. China should not be allowed to host under the current circumstances. Just a horrible waste of so much talent. Imagine training for 4 years to go to this shithole to compete.

Cyberpunkd

You could say Tokyo could be - MAYBE - salvaged but still considered a bastard child, but this...

Terrible isolation condition for the athletes, multiple tests per day coming positive, then negative, then positive again. Athletes being turned back at the very minute before they are set out to participate due to positive test...

It's a sham of a sport's event.

Cyberpunkd

Even the Germans whom are pragmatic will shut down every nuclear power plant in thier country by the end of 2022. And moving to more domestic coal and Russian oil. 🤡
Not to get into politics but the Germans have nuclear hysteria that is jeopardizing the climate change targets. You hear more and more scientists saying the same thing - without nuclear we will not make it when it comes to CO2 reduction.

What is even more hilarious is that France - a border country - has 56 active nuclear reactors and plans to build more. What do you think will happen, a wind will just blow the other way?

Top Bottom