• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Wheatley Set To Direct Alicia Vikander In Tomb Raider Sequel; MGM Sets Release Date.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ben Wheatley has been set to direct MGM’s Tomb Raider sequel, with the studio setting a release date of March 19, 2021. Alicia Vikander is reprising her role as the treasure-hunting action heroine Lara Croft. Amy Jump is writing the sequel script and Graham King is producing through his GK Films banner, and Elizabeth Cantillon.

Wheatley directed the films Kill List and Free Fire, and he is in post production on Rebecca for Working Title Films.

Directed by Roar Uthaug, last year’s first film grossed $275 million worldwide. Production on the sequel will begin early next year.

Yeah, they made her too weak.
Angelina Jolie was far better in the role.
I liked the Jolie movies because if nothing else they at least managed to remember that Lara enjoys her work and has a dry sense of humour.

Modern Tomb Raider is so po faced and serious about everythjng, and makes Lara a miserable victim, constantly hating every adventure but struggling through because of her daddy issues.

Cock of War

Big fan of Ben Wheatley. This is a very strange combination. Like if Super Mario Brothers the Movie 2 was to be directed by David Lynch.
Colour me intrigued.

octiny

Banned
Are you serious? I thought it bombed?

I watched it and it was fucking terrible, everything cool from the 2013 game was removed, it felt like a cheap made for TV movie.

Unfortunately it broke even-ish with the average 2.5x a movie's budget multiplier simply because of worldwide numbers, bombed in the US tho

Think they are banking on a larger SJW crowd coming for the 2nd one w/ a slightly lower budget this time.

I just can't take her seriously as Lara. Angelina nailed the look etc

Kadayi

Banned
Big fan of Ben Wheatley. This is a very strange combination. Like if Super Mario Brothers the Movie 2 was to be directed by David Lynch.
Colour me intrigued.

True (High Rise was fucking glorious) but I have to say I just don't see him as an action director even with Free Fire under his belt.

Unfortunately it broke even-ish with the average 2.5x a movie's budget multiplier simply because of worldwide numbers, bombed in the US tho

Think they are banking on a larger SJW crowd coming for the 2nd one w/ a slightly lower budget this time.

Sadly you're probably right. Certainly this is most SJW's idea of the ideal female body:

0dvtX6u.jpg

I cant see it doing betteer than the first one though. Speaking for my wife and I, it's had its one chance, it's not getting another.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Who asked for a sequel to that dreck? Alicia Vikander was the wrong choice, it was clear from the get go. Heck, even Camilla Luddington (The actress that voices her in the games) would have been a far superior choice.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sadly you're probably right. Certainly this is most SJW's idea of the ideal female body:

0dvtX6u.jpg

I cant see it doing betteer than the first one though. Speaking for my wife and I, it's jad its one chance, it's not getting another.

At this point, there's almost no need for that top. Might as well throw some trunks on and join the men. 😬

Last edited:

I was actually impressed how thoroughly and efficiently they removed everything cool from the game, almost as if it was on purpose.

The great cast of supporting characters? Gone, they couldn't even fit Sam in, even though she was crucial to the game's story, let alone my favorite character, Jonas.

The cool old Japanese villages and temples? Gone.

The town built out of wreckage? Gone.

The horror vibe with the cannibals in the caves and stuff? Gone.

The military base stuff? Gone.

There was literally only a single scene in the movie that resembled something from the game with Lara inside the crashed plane.

Obviously I know when adapting a game to movie there would have to be changes but it was like I said, as if they purposely went out of their way to leave out almost everything that was cool in the game, the whole thing felt very cheap, which is probably how it was able to be profitable enough to warrant a sequel.

That's putting aside the woke bullshit of casting a flat chested actress to play a character primarily known for her breasts, but even if she had been buxom the movie would have still been shitty.

I was actually impressed how thoroughly and efficiently they removed everything cool from the game, almost as if it was on purpose.

The great cast of supporting characters? Gone, they couldn't even fit Sam in, even though she was crucial to the game's story, let alone my favorite character, Jonas.

The cool old Japanese villages and temples? Gone.

The town built out of wreckage? Gone.

The horror vibe with the cannibals in the caves and stuff? Gone.

The military base stuff? Gone.

There was literally only a single scene in the movie that resembled something from the game with Lara inside the crashed plane.

Obviously I know when adapting a game to movie there would have to be changes but it was like I said, as if they purposely went out of their way to leave out almost everything that was cool in the game, the whole thing felt very cheap, which is probably how it was able to be profitable enough to warrant a sequel.

That's putting aside the woke bullshit of casting a flat chested actress to play a character primarily known for her breasts, but even if she had been buxom the movie would have still been shitty.
The movie was already 2 hours so what if they cut the opening sequences, kept the dad stuff but added more of the cool island stuff and supporting characters extending it maybe a half hour? Would it be better that way but at 2.5 hours? Or what about more of "I need to get, and now I can't go back" and just add of 20 minutes of that with it as is?

Caffeine

0dvtX6u.jpg

I cant see it doing betteer than the first one though. Speaking for my wife and I, it's had its one chance, it's not getting another.
she needs to eat some steaks they made her boobs bigger in the film lol, idk she was pretty close.
SFgmWHf.jpg

discait

Banned
Are you serious? I thought it bombed?

It absolutely bombed. And I'll explain how. Movies tend to spend around their production budget on marketing (some spend more or less, but that's a good average.) Tomb Raider's budget was $94 million (according to boxofficemojo.) So, budget x2 = $188 million. That's what the studio needed to break even. Now we'll look at ticket sales.

US: $58,250,803
Foreign: $216,400,000
Total: $274,650,803

And you might think, "275 is more than 188, so it made a profit." Nope. Studios don't get 100% of ticket sales. In the US, they get around 60%. Overseas, around 30%.

58,250,802 x .6 = 34,950,481
216,400,000 x .3 = 64,920,000
Total: 99,870,481

The movie lost around $90 million at the box office.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
Well, I only ever saw the one with Jolie in it. It was fun and I thought she was good in that role. As for the new trilogy, I enjoyed the first game, the one from 2013. After that it just seemed like they didn't know what to do with it. I heard Shadow bombed. Not sure if they'll ever make another. If they do, I hope thry take it in an unexpected direction. The last two seemed too much like a poor imitation of Uncharted, which was It's superior in virtually every way.

Last edited:
Still think they should have got camilla luddington for the role.
Oh fuck off no. That terrible rendition of an English accent (and yes, I know shes technically a bit british, but she's clearly been living abroad long enough to have lost her proper one, if she ever had one), alongside her dull, bored and emotionless delivery was a fucking nightmare to sit through.

Ideally I'd want to cast Emily Blunt. She's fantastic in action roles and has broad enough acting chops to do posh properly while still be wisecracking and looking like she was enjoying herself. Shes also fucking hot.

Top Bottom