• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Benchmark Unreal Engine 4's "Elemental" demo

runs so bad

AVG: 33FPS
MAX: 51FPS
MIN: 17FPS

kq1eo8y.png

This is from a run I did last night, my 290 is in the mail atm for an RMA (for reasons that won't affect performance I think). It was stuttery and awful. I can't run it at whatever settings everyone is using to bench because I don't have my card atm. I don't think the demo is that impressive either. I heard it was downgraded too, Ubisoft-style.

Everyone should use this: http://webwalkers.cz/Windows/FLAcalculator/FLAcalculator.aspx

BibiMaghoo

I get an error on both binaries stating:

"MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer".

I don't know what that is :/

Edit: NM lol, post 3 :D

Redmoon

Can someone reupload the cave demo. Says its been downloaded too many times.

Also seeing as how this worked on the realistic rendering demo too,
Goto Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
and open Engine.ini and add this before everything else and save it (leave a few spaces inbetween for neatness :p )
Code:
[/Script/Engine.Engine]
bSmoothFrameRate=false
MinSmoothedFrameRate=0
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=0
Should remove the fps limit. Don't think 0's (or any number) will matter but you can set them to whatever you want.

And have a 4K downsample of the room level at night with lights

Durante

Hmm, what kind of AA is being used in these demos? I love it.

Very soft and clean.
It's the UE4 temporal AA. It uses up to 16 temporal samples per pixel (at default, it goes up to 64 IIRC).

Very good edge quality considering the modest performance hit, sadly it's useless in VR.

I personally strongly believe it's the result of Epic hiring Timothy Lottes a while ago :p

BibiMaghoo

god dayum, It looks like CGI video...

My laptop cannot handle it. I get about 15fps if I leave the settings as they are. Sure is pretty though.

RCSI

Results @ 1920x1080
CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: Radeon HD 6950 2GB

Min fps: 11
Max fps: 36
Avg fps: 23

Where is that GTX 880 I wished for?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
what am I supposed to do after the Unreal Logo when I can move the mouse arround?! It does not seem to go on?
How do you guys know your fps? fraps? Does the demo not tell you?

Aramiyo

Banned
what am I supposed to do after the Unreal Logo when I can move the mouse arround?! It does not seem to go on?
How do you guys know your fps? fraps? Does the demo not tell you?

FRAPS is probably the best way to find your average but you can open the console with ~ and type "stat fps" to see your FPS.

Xyber

i7 4770K @ 4.3GHz
680 @ 1200Mhz

Min 25
Max 89
Avg 48.953

And yes, like UE3 it is locked at 62 with FPS smoothing, so you guys should disable that to get a more accurate number.

and open Engine.ini and add this before everything else and save it (leave a few spaces inbetween for neatness :p )
Code:
[/Script/Engine.Engine]
bSmoothFrameRate=false
MinSmoothedFrameRate=0
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=0
Should remove the fps limit. Don't think 0's (or any number) will matter but you can set them to whatever you want.

Results @ 1920x1200
CPU: i7 4770K
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU:R9 290X with small factory OC

I couldn't get Fraps to capture my fps well. I tried three times, the first two the time captured was super short, the third time I think it should have work well but it didn't even create a log file. Just watching the number on the corner, I would say it was something like this:

Min fps: 41
Max fps: 58
Avg fps: 50

velociraptor

I loaded the demo on my system. Ran surprisingly well but I can't help but be disappointed. It doesn't even look that good to me. Sure it has nice and shiny effects but it just largely looks a refinement of what I've already seen and experienced over the past 3 years.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's the UE4 temporal AA. It uses up to 16 temporal samples per pixel (at default, it goes up to 64 IIRC).

Very good edge quality considering the modest performance hit, sadly it's useless in VR.

I personally strongly believe it's the result of Epic hiring Timothy Lottes a while ago :p
Oh, I didn't realize they hired him. I'm sure you're right, then, it's very likely the result of his work. Either way, it's great stuff and definitely seems to have a very minor performance penalty. I'm kind of surprised it runs as well as it does on my machine, to be honest.

Valtýr

Anyone else getting this error when launching the Elemental.exe?

The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Trying both the 32bit and 64bit.

edit: nvm, updated .net framework and it works now.

komplanen

Valtýr;109810117 said:
Anyone else getting this error when launching the Elemental.exe?

The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Trying both the 32bit and 64bit.

Download here

Valtýr

Yeah I meant that. It's good now thanks tho.

i7 3770K @3.5
16gb ddr3
GTX 680 2G
1080p, vsync on

Min - 21
Max - 58
Avg - 41.73

Thanks for the link EC.

Someone might be able to help me.

I installed a new GPU the other day (upgraded to a 750Ti from a 550Ti) but when my PC starts it now sticks on the Motherboard picture screen for about 2 mins before it boots up. It gives me options like F12 or whatever for boot list or another option for BIOS ect but they won't work when I hit the key.

The PC eventually starts up and I can use it and run games ect fine but it's annoying me. Any help would be appreciated as I can't find an answer on Google.

komplanen

Which on that page do i have to download ?

Click the red download button and it should be pretty straight forward from there on with only three options (ARM, x86, and x64). Download which system you're running it on (x64 is 64-bit, x86 is 32-bit and ARM is ARM).

Thorgal

Click the red download button and it should be pretty straight forward from there on with only three options (ARM, x86, and x64). Download which system you're running it on (x64 is 64-bit, x86 is 32-bit and ARM is ARM).

Thanks !
I had it mixed with the x86 one.

McNum

Well... it ran. But not at a framerate I'd consider playable. My PC really doesn't like it when things get all physics and particles all over the place. Which, well, is UE4's thing.

But I knew that already. The CPU is getting old. Need a new one soon-ish.

thematic

Thank you!
finally i can test my PC for "next gen" engine :)

i'll post my benchmark later, download speed kinda slow here :(

FACE

Banned
No idea how you have got a better min, max, avg than my PC lol...but here are my benchmark results...

My results (using FRAPS)
CPU: i7 3970x @ 4.6GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 690 4GB (OC'd)

Min fps: 23
Max fps: 63
Avrg fps: 45.3

Have you checked if SLI is working?

Pjsprojects

Just tried the Realistic rendering one on my front room setup which is-

FX4170 @ 4Ghz
16gb DDR3
3gb GTX580oc

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg - did get minor screen tearing.
850, 11575, 68, 78, 73.434

Will try it on my 8350black gaming rig later.

Mine's stuck on the end logo...?

Oh, wait a second, now I have a freely rotating camera in this random spot...
8r7jv.png

I'm pressing keys but I can't move around nor access any options... nor quit......nor see the benchmarks..?

Oh cool, I can use console commands. Everyone else can do this, right?

Dr Dogg

Right had chance to do a few runs at different configs

My results (using FRAPS)
Config #1
CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz (Turbo disabled)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 1666Mhz
GPU: GTX 780 (factory OC'd)

Min fps: 37
Max fps: 62
Avrg fps: 55.8

Config #2
CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz (Turbo enabled to 3.8GHz)

Min fps: 38
Avrg fps: 56.5

Config #3
CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.4GHz

Min fps: 38
Avrg fps: 56.3

Did 3 runs on each to account for variance and averaged the results. Good CPU usage but it's your GPU where it counts.

R0nn

Mine's stuck on the end logo...?

Oh, wait a second, now I have a freely rotating camera in this random spot...
8r7jv.png

I'm pressing keys but I can't move around nor access any options... nor quit......nor see the benchmarks..?

Oh cool, I can use console commands. Everyone else can do this, right?

I had the same thing. Too bad the camera didn't get stuck somewhere more inside the actual 3D world. Would be cool. :)

My 7850 was like NOPE with this demo. It started out so promising with 36 fps, but it falls flat on it's face as soon as the particles and physics come into play.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
1080p FRAPS bench
3930k@4.5ghz
16GB 2133 MEMORY
780ti

2014-04-28 15:13:36 - Elemental
Frames: 10202 - Time: 170719ms - Avg: 59.759 - Min: 35 - Max: 63

SZips

Is there a mirror for the Cave/effects demo anywhere? The Google Drive link is apparently overloaded with visitors.

potam

Banned
If you wait at the logo long enough after the demo runs through, it pops you back into the world. Then just enter the fly command and you can move around the level.

Blud, how much does a DUAL 6-core Xeon cost these days? I'd love to have that for my 3D rendering.
That one cost us about £2,500 I think. And heh, that's exactly what I do for a living. It's an absolute beast, I love it. You can play Snake with the 24 buckets in the frame buffer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can someone reupload the cave demo. Says its been downloaded too many times.

Code:
[/Script/Engine.Engine]
bSmoothFrameRate=false
MinSmoothedFrameRate=0
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=0
With these settings in I ran another bench.

To reiterate

1080p FRAPS bench
3930k@4.5ghz
16GB 2133 MEMORY
780ti

Before ini tweak

2014-04-28 15:13:36 - Elemental
Frames: 10202 - Time: 170719ms - Avg: 59.759 - Min: 35 - Max: 63

After

2014-04-28 15:27:21 - Elemental
Frames: 10564 - Time: 160015ms - Avg: 66.019 - Min: 36 - Max: 93

Results @ 1920x1080
CPU: i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 680 Windforce OC 2GB

Elemental

Avg: 47.897
Min: 25
Max: 63

edit: with unlocked framerate:

Avg: 50.928 - Min: 25 - Max: 93

A-V-B

Hey, anyone notice mediafire captchas are now that "MCDONALDS!" thing? Just with your keyboard instead of your voice.

Top Bottom