• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Benchmark Unreal Engine 4's "Elemental" demo

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
Thanks for finding a way to disable framesmoothing and frame max

after that

I7 3770k
780 OC
1440p

23, 76, 44.234

MIN / MAX / AVG

Ok, idiot alert. After the U4 logo, i'm loaded into the outside world and can't do anything but twirl (even after entering fly into the console).
How are you guys getting your results? Is something else supposed to happen.
Sorry for such a stupid question

Wow, surprised the realistic rendering demo runs flawlessly on my 560ti and Q6600

edit

fuck, is my PC a wizard? Elemental demo ran at an almsot solid 30fps too

Wow, surprised the realistic rendering demo runs flawlessly on my 560ti and Q6600

edit

fuck, is my PC a wizard? Elemental demo ran at an almsot solid 30fps too
The 560Ti is still a capable card, and comparable to the GPUs in the new consoles, for which this engine had in mind, so it's understandable.

How can i change the time in the realistic demo?

Anyway.. my stats for elemental:

Vsync On / 1920x1080
Radeon R9 270X
Phenom II X4 965 BE
8 gigs of ram

Avg: 22.417 - Min: 18 - Max: 28

Felt strangely smooth for this framerate..

Wow, the part where the ice giant is bursting out of the wall, while standing on the ground, looking at it through the rift?

Wow. Scale, man. Scale.

low-G

Not bad at all. I was really disappointed when UE4 got the downgrade, but I think it looks quite good. If developers can utilize UE4 decently I think it'll be a pleasant generation. Unlike UE3, which I was immediately disappointed with when it was new.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Elemental demo.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.40GHz
16.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 OEM

Run at 1080p.

Avg: 27.652 - Min: 14 - Max: 49 (Recorded with FRAPS)

The particle effects look great in this. I'm not sold on the assets though lol. I'm not positive I'm even running at the resolution I set it to TBH, everything looks upscaled to me, instead of downsampled like I'm used to.

Elemental @ 1440p w ini tweaks
CPU: 4670 @ 4.4ghz
GPU: 780ti stock speed
RAM: 8gb 1866

2014-04-28 20:18:47 - Elemental
Frames: 10219 - Time: 161609ms - Avg: 63.233 - Min: 40 - Max: 94

thematic

anyone notice the default resolution only @ 1600x900?
changed my GameUserSettings.ini to 1080p and the fps took noticable hit :(

i7 3770k stock
8GB RAM
GTX 760 OC'ed @ 1250 MHz

@1080p
min 20 fps
max 58 fps
avg ?? fps (my guess would be 40ish)

@900p
min 24 fps
max 64 fps
avg "guesstimate" 50+ fps

i don't have fraps installed :(

lord pie

Interestingly, the Elemental demo at it's default (set to 1600x900) actually renders at 1440x816 and upscales.

Kinda odd.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not bad at all. I was really disappointed when UE4 got the downgrade, but I think it looks quite good. If developers can utilize UE4 decently I think it'll be a pleasant generation. Unlike UE3, which I was immediately disappointed with when it was new.
You were disappointed with UE3 out of the gate? I find that curious, to be honest.

Gears of War was absolutely incredible to behold in 2006 and introduced a lot of features that we had not yet experienced in games at that point. What about it did you find unimpressive?

pottuvoi

Banned
You were disappointed with UE3 out of the gate? I find that curious, to be honest.

Gears of War was absolutely incredible to behold in 2006 and introduced a lot of features that we had not yet experienced in games at that point. What about it did you find unimpressive?
Decent lightmapper would have helped a lot.
For a long time only games that used Beast had decent lighting in environments. (Mirrors Edge, Mass Effect)

Webbie

Banned
Can anyone help, i try to run the elemental demo and it says i am missing MSVCR120.dll. I don't know where i can get this.

Evo X

Cave/Effects needs to be rehosted as bandwidth seems to have run out.

Tried both Elemental and Realistic Rendering on my 780Ti. Both seem be running flawlessly at 1080P.

FLAguy954

Elemental Demo

i5 4670K 4.5 GHz
R9 270 OC
8 GB Ram @ 1600 MHz
1440x900 Samsung Syncmaster

2014-04-28 02:50:41 - Elemental
Frames: 7687
- Time: 154453ms
- Avg: 49.769 - Min: 26 - Max: 82

The Goat

So I typed "Walk" in the console, and it allows me to walk around. You can also "Fly" and "Ghost" , but I can't seem to get through the collision. Hmm, shame. Would like to check it out.

*Edit*

So, I made it into the castle! I flew out to the Ice elemental, then typed "Walk" again. Once I got to the mountains I flew again, which let me climb up. Pretty cool.

Hooks

1920x1080

i5 750 OC 4.00ghz
GTX 780 Gigabyte WindForce OC
8GB Ram

2014-04-29 18:10:19
- Elemental
Frames: 8012 - Time: 164300ms -
Avg: 48.764 -
Min: 33 -
Max: 70

Am I the only one disappointed by the Elemental demo? The particles and physics were good and all, but the particle count was still nowhere near the original video. There also seemed to be a lack of ambient occlusion, a lot of low poly assets and unremarkable textures.

Really? the ue3 tech demo in 2004 looked amazing
soft , fading shadows, POM, pristine image quality, no sign of texture pop in etc
It was only when games were made for it that that demo turned out to be completely false advertising

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
It ran incredibly well on my stock i5-2500k and factory overclocked 570 at 1080p.

The only problem I got was UE3 Texture Streaming™ and UE3 Stutter-when-loading-a-new-area™

hwalker84

Mine's stuck on the end logo...?

Oh, wait a second, now I have a freely rotating camera in this random spot...
8r7jv.png

I'm pressing keys but I can't move around nor access any options... nor quit......nor see the benchmarks..?

Oh cool, I can use console commands. Everyone else can do this, right?

This is what happens to me too. Can't get any results.

Pretty good performance on a 2GB 670.
I'd say the avg fps was 45 at 1080p. I noticed my second 670 wasn't even active so if there was sli support I'd have no problem with that demo.

I managed to move somewhat freely around the Elemental demo. The biggest problem is that the no clip "ghost" mode doesn't move vertically for some reason, so getting the right height to move around is a pain.

Anyway, here's what I did (type all commands without the quotation marks):

1. To speed up the demo and not wait too long for the free camera, open the console (~ key) and type "slomo 100".
2. Once the demo ends and you're in the free camera mode, type "slomo 1". (note: If you want to slow down time, type in decimals, for example "slomo 0.1" etc.)
3. Type "walk". This will put the camera in a player walking mode and you'll instantly start to fall through the world.
4. Type "teleport". This teleports the camera to a predefined point in space, somewhere at the center of the castle, but pretty much inside the floor. However, since you're in walk mode, you will fall onto the mountains below the castle. You can now freely move around.
5. Here's the tricky part. The only way I managed to actually change my vertical position is to walk around the mountains and squiggle my way to a higher position without falling off the map. You can't jump so it makes the task a bit harder, but it's doable.
6. Once you are at a desirable height, open the console and type "ghost". Now you'll be able to walk around and through walls, so if you're at a reasonable height, you can take some nice screenshots.

If someone has an idea on how to make the camera move vertically, please share. Also, if you want the camera to move faster, you can speed up the game with "slowmo 100" which speeds up camera movement as well.

Here are some screenshots taken with FRAPS:

elemental2014-04-2915m1bny.png

elemental2014-04-2915gzxt4.png

elemental2014-04-2915cez0f.png

elemental2014-04-29153pxrz.png

elemental2014-04-2915ega71.png

elemental2014-04-29156yy83.png

low-G

Every graphical feature & effect done in Gears had been done better in other Xbox 360 games before that.

soft , fading shadows, POM, pristine image quality, no sign of texture pop in etc
It was only when games were made for it that that demo turned out to be completely false advertising

Exactly. Was that tech demo ever shown running on 'real' 'everyday' computers? Because it was utter lies. If the games had looked like THAT, I'd have no problem.

Maybe this UE4 tech demo is similar? I'll eat that crow when the time comes if needed.

Tain

Every graphical feature & effect done in Gears had been done better in other Xbox 360 games before that.

I have trouble remembering any specific features that were entirely new that Gears brought to the table (streaming, motion blur, heat distortion, and so on had all individually been done before), but that didn't stop Gears from being the best-looking game I had played at the time of release.

Could you give me some examples of what you're thinking of when you say that everything had been done better elsewhere?

low-G

I have trouble remembering any specific features that were entirely new that Gears brought to the table (streaming, motion blur, heat distortion, and so on had all individually been done before), but that didn't stop Gears from being the best-looking game I had played at the time of release.

Could you give me some examples of what you're thinking of when you say that everything had been done better elsewhere?

Perfect Dark Zero & Kameo had lush, higher res looking parallax mapped textures, for example. PGR3 had stunning HDR (but ran at a lower res than GoW). Heck Oblivion's HDR was better, too. PGR3 also had way higher quality motion blur...

I can't think of anything that Gears 1 that really was very up to par with other high end titles at that time, technically. The art is subjective. I know PDZ has some terrible modelling...

Dead Rising was another pre-Gears looker...

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
1080p, frame limiter off
i5 2500 non-K non-OC
670 2gb non-OC
--------
Min 20
Max 61
Avg 39

I actually thought it looked a little better in the original resolution (vs. 1080p ini fix) because the upscaling hid a lot of the seems on models and lower quality textures (in blur).

It looks really good, but not great, ya know? The thing that impressed me the most was the lava flowing down the rocks, properly lighting things dynamically along the way.

sp3000

Epic is probably the second biggest snake oil salesman after Ubisoft in terms of graphics. I can't believe there wasn't a larger backlash after Gears ended up looking nowhere near as good as the 2004 demo. Even Gears 2 and 3 look nowhere near as good.

I'm almost certain that commercial UE4 games will look several steps below the Elemental demo.

JordanN

Banned
Man, talk about diminishing returns... I mean, I'm a total graphics whore and I'm really geeky when it comes to this kinda stuff, love reading up about it and always used to follow the demo scene etc... But even though I do see and understand that there's so much new and advanced tech in these demos, it just doesn't end up impressing much more than say Battlefield 4 or even 'standard' UE3 games that don't do anything super crazy like Hawken.
The developers admitted the demo was made in 2012 while the engine was still in its infancy. As cool as it is, UE4 is still quite capable of a lot more. For example, the developers said it's not using physically based rendering which is now a huge feature in UE4 and other next gen engines.

sp3000

The developers admitted the demo was made in 2012 while the engine was still in its infancy. As cool as it is, UE4 is still quite capable of a lot more. For example, the developers said it's not using physically based rendering which is now a huge feature in UE4 and other next gen engines.

Actually it's hilarious that you say this because the newer elemental demo looks much worse than the 2012 one.

The complete lack of global illumination is the most obvious one, but lots of other effects are reduced as well. The download version in this thread is pretty much a copy of the PS4 version, and looks nowhere near as good as the 2012 original.

BONKERS

Man, talk about diminishing returns... I mean, I'm a total graphics whore and I'm really geeky when it comes to this kinda stuff, love reading up about it and always used to follow the demo scene etc... But even though I do see and understand that there's so much new and advanced tech in these demos, it just doesn't end up impressing much more than say Battlefield 4 or even 'standard' UE3 games that don't do anything super crazy like Hawken.

We've really entered an era where it's so much more about art than before, similar to how the first Toy Story movie was a technical marvel but by the time we were at Finding Nemo, technical advancements had become so much more unnoticeable compared to artistic distinction.

Either way still cool shit and I still love this kind of stuff, especially when it comes to advances in lighting, global illumination and new AA methods being applied and such.

It's too bad Epic's Temporal AA is completely mediocre and misses some of the most basic in your face aliasing. And it's Wayyyyyyy blurry even by my standards. Seems blurry than even TXAA from what I can recall

At least compared to SGSSAA.

Top Bottom