• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Benchmark Unreal Engine 4's "Elemental" demo

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wanted to make a thread for this as I think a lot of people would miss it, buried in the UE4 thread.

You might remember Epic's fancy "Elemental" demo for Unreal Engine 4, as shown here. You also might remember the PlayStation 4 build of the demo, seen here, stripped of global illumination (boo!). Well, now that Unreal Engine 4 is available for license holders to play with, the latter demo is too accessible for engine tinkerers to demo.

And for the rest of us, folk have compiled the "Elemental" demo into a standalone package for everybody to crunch on their PC hardware.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rb4iqf555iakxbt/Elemental.rar
Note: This isn't an official benchmark release by Epic. This is the Elemental demo included with the UE4 engine package, compiled by users. Ergo, optimisation issues may exist.

How to run: Extract the folder to wherever you desire. Browse to WindowsNoEditor/Elemental/Binaries. Select your operating system folder: Win32 or Win64. Then simply run Elemental.exe
Note: There are no menus to tweak settings. To change resolution, turn off/on vsync, and other stuff, browse to WindowsNoEditor/Elemental/Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor. Open up GameUserSettings.ini and tweak bUseVSync=False, ResolutionSizeX=1920, and ResolutionSizeY=1080 to whatever settings you desire. The latter two being your horizontal/vertical resolution, the former vsync.

My results (using FRAPS)
CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 770 4GB (factory OC'd)

Min fps: 25
Max fps: 61
Avrg fps: 47.1

If you want to play with more UE4 demos, here.
Cave/effects: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5qGbn3OCAd8WXViQkpUa2F6aEU/edit
Realistic rendering: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4elun3n2p489lz6/Realistic_Rendering.7z

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
iO25s82SFcn1f.jpg

I'll try it on my work PC when it's downloads - I have a dual 6-core Xeon workstation with a GTX780 (which puts my home PC to shame :( )

Can we look around in it or camera's tied to fixed path?

General, benchmarks offer no interactivity as allowing for variables makes the actual benchmarking useless, seeing as the final figures will not be comparable due to user changes during benchmarking. You'd want everyone's experience to be equal for the results to have any meaning.

That said, since this isn't technically a benchmark it might be possible.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is Elements the same demo they've been running on Oculus units at several events? I got to try the UE4 Oculus demo at the Osaka event some weeks back, and was really impressed.

Newboi

I wish UE4 worked using SLI. I tried forcing Alternate Frame Rendering 2 in the Nvidia Control panel and the Demo wigged out when I tried to run it. It ran really slow with no sound lol.

Anyways, I was wondering how you guys got frame rate numbers since their was no benchmarking functionality or FPS counter in the Elemental demo.

Even though it was only using 1 GTX 670, the demo ran fairly well at 3800x1800 downsampled to 1920x1080. That's just from eyeballing it though. Don't have an exact frame counter, but it didn't appear to drop below 30fps until around the ice monster portion.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
In the cave/effects and realistic rendering demos you control the camera/player. The elemental demo it's a scripted sequence.

Just took these, one from each demo.

10nep7.jpg

2c9cqw.jpg

3onf9q.jpg

Ah yeah, the first screen is from the Oculus demo I tried. Was really cool.

Dr Dogg

Ohhh nice, I'll have a play about when I get home. Might not be best to nuke one of the bootcamp Macs here trying this.

Demon dude has some grody textures but that was pretty crazy. Few moments where I almost couldn't believe it was a engine that my graphics card was powering. Looking forward to seeing some big games made using UE4
Daylight doesn't count :p

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
Can anyone else confirm?

Well if i run the demo at 1080p, MAX FPS is 62.. it's impossible. Since i get MAX 58 in 1440p. I should get around 90 FPS MAX. I can confirm with the CAVE demo witch run 80% faster at 1080p than 1440p (witch is almost 2x more pixel rate so it's logical)

DieH@rd

Banned
Well if i run the demo at 1080p, MAX FPS is 62.. it's impossible. Since i get MAX 58 in 1440p. I should get around 90 FPS MAX. I can confirm with the CAVE demo witch run 80% faster at 1080p than 1440p (witch is almost 2x more pixel rate so it's logical)

Possible CPU bottlenecking.

BTW, CymaticBruce was veeery impressed with the Oculus Rift implementation in the Cave demo.

teokrazia

My results (using FRAPS)
CPU: i5 2500K@4.4GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: GTX 670 Windforce 3x

Res: 1080p
Min fps: 21
Max fps: 56
Avrg fps: 39

Edit: forgot the res

Oh awesome, my old ass quad core gonna cry over this :lol

Still, i love tech demos, and ill have a new PC built in a few weeks, so looking forward to trying it out

bumpkin

I get a system error every time I try to run it... "The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer." :(

Arcipello

looks really nice... would love to try a free cam demo of that abandoned subway entrance scene, had some very nice lighting and effects.

CPU: i5 4570 @ 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 760
RES: 1920x1080

Min fps: 20
Max fps: 54
Avrg fps: 39

The min framerate was actually above 30 until the ice mountain broke at the very end.

EatChildren, can you dig up instalation for Roman temple UE4 tech demo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQy1ryw6kcg&hd=1

Here, I think you mean this one, I uploaded it myself, it is safe:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/abkt7lt230bzkvn/Temple_Mobile.7z

Also a few other ones that haven't been posted yet:

The multiplayer demo that was released at the beginning:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/92l9gmiuiq3d3ja/MP_Demo.7z

The realistic rendering showcase that shows a living room. You can walk around in that one.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4elun3n2p489lz6/Realistic_Rendering.7z

looks really nice... would love to try a free cam demo of that abandoned subway entrance scene, had some very nice lighting and effects.

EDIT: I made one, but I think I turned off it being a development build, and so I think console commands to run it on a higher resolution/full screen are not available. Packaging and uploading takes too long for me to iterate on that.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uoa1b0ck1mn1fq3/Reflections_Without_Fixed_Camera.7z

Min 45
Max 57
Avg 52

Haswell i5 4670
GTX 780

(I recorded 120 seconds of footage, framerate probably went lower than that at some point but I didn't know how to set it up to continuously bench)

Redmoon

Wished sli worked for this so I can do higher res with better fps'.

Tried Elemental. Managed to remove the 62 fps limit, but there seems to be a bottleneck elsewhere as half the time my fps stays at/below 70 with the cpu cores/gpu nowhere near 100%.

Min fps ~50
max fps ~95
@720p
GTX 680

Also got to walk around at the end somehow :)

Will try out the others

smuf

i5-3570k - GTX 660

Tried it at 1080p. Runs better than I expected, not great by any means of course.
I guess it would be fine capped at 30 fps with some of the settings toned down.

Aramiyo

Banned
Elemental demo.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~4.4GHz
8192MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 SC Edition

Run at 1080p.

Avg: 42.749 - Min: 22 - Max: 61 (Recorded with FRAPS)

Gonna test out some of the others, see exactly what is giving my setup a hard time.

Reese-015

Man, talk about diminishing returns... I mean, I'm a total graphics whore and I'm really geeky when it comes to this kinda stuff, love reading up about it and always used to follow the demo scene etc... But even though I do see and understand that there's so much new and advanced tech in these demos, it just doesn't end up impressing much more than say Battlefield 4 or even 'standard' UE3 games that don't do anything super crazy like Hawken.

We've really entered an era where it's so much more about art than before, similar to how the first Toy Story movie was a technical marvel but by the time we were at Finding Nemo, technical advancements had become so much more unnoticeable compared to artistic distinction.

Either way still cool shit and I still love this kind of stuff, especially when it comes to advances in lighting, global illumination and new AA methods being applied and such.

Top Bottom