• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bend Studio Rumored To Be Working On Syphon Filter Spiritual Successor called Project Propaganda (Codename)

bitbydeath

lol well...not really.

Nothing about Days Gone is like Syphon Filter to say all that, like.....nothing.

Even the slight nod to Syphon Filter is a wink and to say its part of the same universe or something, but that is a massive stretch to say its a successor. It would be like saying The Last Of Us is a spiritual successor to Uncharted based on those funny Easter eggs the world has about Uncharted.
It was a continuation of the story, where the last Syphon Filter had left off.

TexMex

Can we please just get a sequel to Syphon Filter? Do we have to repurpose absolutely everything to be an open world game?

CamHostage

Syphon Filter was cool back in the PS1 days, but is Bend even capable of making a quality sequel/spiritual successor? Days Gone was pretty mediocre by all accounts. And I can't imagine there are many people left at Bend from the PS1 days. That was 20+ years ago.

Syphon Filter PS2 was an unfortunate misstep but the PSP Syphon Filters and also the Resistance PSP game were quite good. (BTW, they were made with some help from Slant 6, another developer that had/has an iffy reputation on consoles but really came through in the "handheld ghetto".) I haven't played Vita's Uncharted Golden Abyss but that's supposedly authentic and fun (even with the motion control gimmicks.)

Whether Bend is a studio to look forward to as a AAA developer, that's up to interpretation. (Days Gone has a lot of turn-offs for me, but it shoots big and does some cool stuff that put them back in mainstream conversation after a long time only being known to portable players.) But whether you liked their previous game or not, there's still clear evidence there that the studio is fully capable of making a big PlayStation game, and we'll just have to see if you or I enjoy the next one.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I was never the biggest Syphon Filter fan but with Snake and Sam on ice, there certainly is a hole that could be filled.

Can we please just get a sequel to Syphon Filter? Do we have to repurpose absolutely everything to be an open world game?

Everything is open world or a rogue lite these days.

CamHostage

Why is sony so scared to bring back syphon filter? If they are concerned about sales I think that game can work, the psp games in particular had a style they can work with since I know on PS1 the controls were not that great.

I don't know who is still there at Bend who would have this feeling, but the team has a love-hate relationship with Syphon Filter (particularly the hero Gabe Logaon) that they've always tried to get away from. They've tried to kill Gabe off, they've tried to make SF games without Gabe, they've tried to make brand new games that aren't Syphon Filter that give just enough nod back to fans to let them chill out about demanding another Syphon Filter, but there are people still out there asking for another Syphon Filter.

As it is, Syphon Filter probably just goes too far back to be a viable franchise. The sequels diminished in popularity (well, ebbed and flowed; I think 2 was a highpoint but then 3 and Omega Strain were disappointments critically and commercially, then the PSP audience was into it but the PS2 port-overs of Dark Mirror & Shadow went unnoticed.) Does it make sense to create a new game that goes back into 20+ years of lore just to bring a semi-forgotten brand name back? (There's even a question of what in the gameplay itself could make the jump to next-gen? Yes, the PSP games revised the controls, but in the process it and Omega Strain overwrote the innovative lock system of the PS1 games, and after that, there's not much in those games which is missing in other third-person shooters on the market today. SF is generally known today, if it is known at all, for its Taser man-on-fires and its funny walk animation.) Or does it make more sense for Sony to establish a new brand (with maybe some light connections to the past for diehard fans... like, you know, ) and hopefully get a good new start? It's just hard to see the sequel option making more sense than the reboot/spiritual successor route.

Also, the titular "Syphon Filter" is a little gross outside of its '90s edgelord context. It's basically a chemical weapon for wiping out distinct races. That's chilling (I remember my blood running cold as a teen when I discovered this concept was in a videogame back in 2000,) but it's hard to make a "fun" spy caper story about something so bleak. Bend has skirted the issue by just making good spy games under a mostly unknown title, but they're kind of stuck right now with that "Metroid" situation where the name has cache even though they'd prefer to have future adventures using these heroes without the saddled namesake implications.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
days gone outsold ghost of sushi. i think what buried the sequel was the critical reception.
Yeah. It was Bend's own studio management who said no to the sequel. Sony probably would have greenlit a sequel just from the sales. I believe it was Christopher Reese, the studio director, who turned down the idea and was ultimately the one responsible for Jeff Ross feeling like he needed to leave. That is, of course, according to Ross. Apparently, after Garvin was fired and Ross left, Reese was in the process of restructuring how Bend develops its games. By the sounds of it, it is going to be like a council-style development process where everyone has a voice. So, this will be very interesting to see if they can overcome the hurdles with that style of development process.

bitbydeath

That still doesn't make it a spiritual successor, it simply suggest its part of same universe.
Not just the same universe, it’s the same story with a new character because Logan had died.

It’s actually more of a direct sequel than a spiritual one, I’m only suggesting spiritual because of the lead and title change.

That still doesn't make it a spiritual successor, it simply suggest its part of same universe.

Yes, correct. spiritual successor implies greatly inspired, but nowhere near connected to its former predecessor. in this case king's field is demon's and dark souls predecessor, with dark souls and demon's respectively being spiritual successors themselves.

EDMIX

Not just the same universe, it’s the same story with a new character because Logan had died.

It’s actually more of a direct sequel than a spiritual one, I’m only suggesting spiritual because of the lead and title change.

ok, but that doesn't fucking mean its a spiritual successor. Thats like saying Mario Party is a spiritual successor to Mario Kart, be like "not just same universe bro, its the same story, characterz" No.

They are in the same universe.

Thats pretty much it.

I could never say its a "direct sequel" or "spiritual successor" seeing how 99% of the fucking game has nothing to do with concept or design of Syphon Filter.

A direct sequel or spiritual successor of Syphon Filter would be a person going in a urban environment in a modern time doing stealth shit to fight some conspiracy with gadgets. They might share the same universe, they do not share the same design, concept, gameplay elements etc. Thats simply not enough to force that term as we know many IP that are in the same universe that we won't call sequels or successors sir.

bitbydeath

ok, but that doesn't fucking mean its a spiritual successor. Thats like saying Mario Party is a spiritual successor to Mario Kart, be like "not just same universe bro, its the same story, characterz" No.

They are in the same universe.

Thats pretty much it.

I could never say its a "direct sequel" or "spiritual successor" seeing how 99% of the fucking game has nothing to do with concept or design of Syphon Filter.

A direct sequel or spiritual successor of Syphon Filter would be a person going in a urban environment in a modern time doing stealth shit to fight some conspiracy with gadgets. They might share the same universe, they do not share the same design, concept, gameplay elements etc. Thats simply not enough to force that term as we know many IP that are in the same universe that we won't call sequels or successors sir.
Disagree, just because gameplay aspects have evolved, doesn’t make it less of a sequel. Many games have done that before.

Do you consider GTA3 a sequel to the first two games or would you also consider the changes in gameplay to revoke it of that status?

Last edited:
I forget which one it was...but I thought it was the coolest "Action game" thing ever in one of the early Syphon Filters where you jumped through the huge globe in the ceiling and went to work lol. When I was a Kid I use to play the game over and over to do that part, made me feel like it was an action movie.

I hope they do good with it if its true

EDMIX

Disagree, just because gameplay aspects have evolved, doesn’t make it less of a sequel. Many games have done that before.

Do you consider GTA3 a sequel to the first two games or would you also consider the changes in gameplay to revoke it of that status?

Nahhh, that has nothing to do with "evolved" they simply are completely different games.

Thats it.

Same world.

Different genre, different games, different concepts.

Using this shit logic, all the Mario Games are direct sequels of each other, completely ignoring the racing, RPGs and all the different concepts going on. Sharing the same world, doesn't automatically mean they are direct sequels. What they share is so fucking small, many have played Days Gone with zero idea that it had anything to do with Syphon Filter as the concepts are just wildly different and only the most hardcore caught those Easter eggs.

So bullshit that this is a GTA1 to 3 type thing, that is a concept where you are in a open world, doing crime mission by mission, stealing cars aka GTA.... you are not talking about a mere perspective change here.

A spec-ops type stealth game with espionage vs a open world zombie survival RPG.

Soooo I'm going to have to call bullshit that anyone is going to assume those are the same things, all you have is 1 link that puts those worlds together, thats more then enough for me to see that its in the same world, not the same genre, gameplay, concept ala direct sequel. Those games are worlds apart in terms of gameplay and that has nothing to fucking do with a generational gap btw.

Last edited:

CamHostage

That makes it a shared-universe title (or maybe a distantly-connected spin-off,) not necessarily a spiritual successor.

Spiritual Successor is when a creator uses ideas and influence of a generally dormant/dead predecessor but avoids making the product an actual entry in that franchise (often because licensing rights are not available to them.) Sometimes it's the creator who made the original, sometimes it's a new studio doing a "tribute" project (although spiritual successors with no association to the original are hard to consider "spiritually" connected, they're kind of just clones.) So something like Back 4 Blood is a spiritual successor to Left 4 Dead; Bloodstained is a spiritual successor to the Iga'vania games. They succeed upon the original, but only in spirit.

The only connection between Syphon Filter and Days Gone is a couple little clues in the lore docs or voice chatter and then an easter egg bonus item:
Gabe's unlockable taser
The actual gameplay and storytelling is not much like Syphon Filter, even as a third-person action game.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Nahhh, that has nothing to do with "evolved" they simply are completely different games.

Thats it.

Same world.

Different genre, different games, different concepts.

Using this shit logic, all the Mario Games are direct sequels of each other, completely ignoring the racing, RPGs and all the different concepts going on. Sharing the same world, doesn't automatically mean they are direct sequels. What they share is so fucking small, many have played Days Gone with zero idea that it had anything to do with Syphon Filter as the concepts are just wildly different and only the most hardcore caught those Easter eggs.

So bullshit that this is a GTA1 to 3 type thing, that is a concept where you are in a open world, doing crime mission by mission, stealing cars aka GTA.... you are not talking about a mere perspective change here.

A spec-ops type stealth game with espionage vs a open world zombie survival RPG.

Soooo I'm going to have to call bullshit that anyone is going to assume those are the same things, all you have is 1 link that puts those worlds together, thats more then enough for me to see that its in the same world, not the same genre, gameplay, concept ala direct sequel. Those games are worlds apart in terms of gameplay and that has nothing to fucking do with a generational gap btw.
Most people won’t catch it because they haven’t played it before, those that have would know they’re facing the exact same antagonists.

CamHostage

Most people won’t catch it because they haven’t played it before, those that have would know they’re facing the exact same antagonists.

OK, never mind trying to explain again what a "spiritual successor" is, but I'm curious, which antagonists are you talking about? The Freakers, the murderous rednecks and assholes, or the NERO agents in those encounter sections?

The first two character types, I don't think you could find a connection to. There's no equivalent of rageful asshole normal dudes in Syphon Filter, and the Freakers aren't drawn much like the viral infected in SF (those people are usually patients in cornflower hospital gowns.)

The guys in yellow, those figures in Syphon Filter are either CDC or WHO agents, and they are I believe always your allies (although it gets complicated, shall we say.) In fact, Gabe & Lian are in yellow suits at the beginning of the first game. Your antagonists in SF games are generally paramilitary units or hired goons in suits and sunglasses, not guys in hazmat suits. (And I'm pretty sure you never never zombies under the influence of the virus; you discover SF patients in the games but I don't remember them ever waking and trying to kill you?)

So, I mean, yes, they wrote in a connection between the guys in yellow in Syphon Filter, and the guys in yellow in Days Gone, but unless I'm remembering the later Syphon Filter games right, these are not the "exact same antagonists."

BTW, the similarity between the character designs of guys in yellow isn't all that similar. Grey gloves and sort of some kind of a vest over yellow (not that the simplistic PS1 models gave them a lot to work with,) but they could have done a better remastering to connect the models.

bn5QGxGXQHME2QDHJQo4BL-970-80.jpg.webp

Last edited:

bitbydeath

OK, never mind trying to explain again what a "spiritual successor" is, but I'm curious, which antagonists are you talking about? The Freakers, the murderous rednecks and assholes, or the NERO agents in those encounter sections?

The first two character types, I don't think you could find a connection to. There's no equivalent of rageful asshole normal dudes in Syphon Filter, and the Freakers aren't drawn much like the viral infected in SF (those people are usually patients in cornflower hospital gowns.)

The guys in yellow, those figures in Syphon Filter are either CDC or WHO agents, and they are I believe always your allies (although it gets complicated, shall we say.) In fact, Gabe & Lian are in yellow suits at the beginning of the first game. Your antagonists in SF games are generally paramilitary units or hired goons in suits and sunglasses, not guys in hazmat suits. (And I'm pretty sure you never never zombies under the influence of the virus; you discover SF patients in the games but I don't remember them ever waking and trying to kill you?)

So, I mean, yes, they wrote in a connection between the guys in yellow in Syphon Filter, and the guys in yellow in Days Gone, but unless I'm remembering the later Syphon Filter games right, these are not the "exact same antagonists."

BTW, the similarity between the character designs of guys in yellow isn't all that similar. Grey gloves and sort of some kind of a vest over yellow (not that the simplistic PS1 models gave them a lot to work with,) but they could have done a better remastering to connect the models.

bn5QGxGXQHME2QDHJQo4BL-970-80.jpg.webp

Syphon Filter is the name of a virus which Logan was trying to protect from terrorists within the Syphon Filter series.

Freakers are the result of the Syphon Filter virus having been unleashed upon the world because Logan died, therefore failing to protect it.

We don’t know who let Syphon Filter out onto the world but we do know NERO are manipulating it and using it on their own.

EDMIX

nah, I played that series when it was first released on PS1 and got Days Gone day 1, in order to even fucking get any connection, you need that Easter egg......to need something like that means clearly its not some direct thing.

You didn't need even 1 easter egg in Back 4 Blood, its 4 people fighting zombies, Left 4 Dead is 4 people fighting zombies.....

So even as someone that played that series, this connection is too fucking loose to really say some direct sequel type thing. They share the same universe, thats about it.... I don't see anything else gameplay wise, concept wise, literally in the design of the game to really say something like direct sequel and I've played majority of Syphon Filter series. As it stands, I do not believe being in the same universe is enough to argue direct sequel or spiritual successor.

Would be like the ending of Horizon Zero Dawn 3 : Fight For The North, you find the helmet of a Helghast in a cave and be like "direct sequel to Killzone SF everyone" lol I'm sure they might exist in the same universe mind you, I'm sure one comes before or after or some shit, but that type of thing is not enough to say something as odd as direct sequel or successor, it just means they are in the same world, not that they are the same genre, game and should be played back to back as some connection or some shit.

So i'm 99% those that MADE Days Gone fucking know that, so any rumor about Syphon Filter successor likely really is about some spy in some open world setting actually doing the concept and ideas based on Syphon Filter, not a open world zombie survival RPG bud. I'm pretty damn sure thats not what any of this means btw.

Varteras Varteras likely, but its sounding more likely that we see that Splinter Cell remake before we see this tbh.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

nah, I played that series when it was first released on PS1 and got Days Gone day 1, in order to even fucking get any connection, you need that Easter egg......to need something like that means clearly its not some direct thing.

You didn't need even 1 easter egg in Back 4 Blood, its 4 people fighting zombies, Left 4 Dead is 4 people fighting zombies.....

So even as someone that played that series, this connection is too fucking loose to really say some direct sequel type thing. They share the same universe, thats about it.... I don't see anything else gameplay wise, concept wise, literally in the design of the game to really say something like direct sequel and I've played majority of Syphon Filter series. As it stands, I do not believe being in the same universe is enough to argue direct sequel or spiritual successor.

Would be like the ending of Horizon Zero Dawn 3 : Fight For The North, you find the helmet of a Helghast in a cave and be like "direct sequel to Killzone SF everyone" lol I'm sure they might exist in the same universe mind you, I'm sure one comes before or after or some shit, but that type of thing is not enough to say something as odd as direct sequel or successor, it just means they are in the same world, not that they are the same genre, game and should be played back to back as some connection or some shit.

So i'm 99% those that MADE Days Gone fucking know that, so any rumor about Syphon Filter successor likely really is about some spy in some open world setting actually doing the concept and ideas based on Syphon Filter, not a open world zombie survival RPG bud. I'm pretty damn sure thats not what any of this means btw.

Varteras Varteras likely, but its sounding more likely that we see that Splinter Cell remake before we see this tbh.
You might have overlooked it but when you goto the facility Sarah had worked at, which is part of the main story, there’s a paper you pickup that outright states the virus name.

images

EDMIX

You might have overlooked it but when you goto the facility Sarah had worked at, which is part of the main story, there’s a paper you pickup that outright states the virus name.

images

I'm not even sure why you are holding on to that shit soooooo hard. No one is debating they are in the same universe. We played the same game man, I literally saw all that too.

None of that means its a direct sequel, none of that means its a successor.

Simply means they are both in the same world, NOT that they are directly the same games by design to argue a direct sequel.

So this whole "paper was in da game doe" or "da bad guy da same" is irrelevant to the point made.

We all know Bowser is the bad guy in the Mario Universe, that doesn't mean we call Mario Party a direct sequel to Paper Mario or Mario Sunshine.

Not the same game, not the same genre, not the same design, clearly not a sequel, simply share a universe.

Thats really it tbh.

bitbydeath

I'm not even sure why you are holding on to that shit soooooo hard. No one is debating they are in the same universe. We played the same game man, I literally saw all that too.

None of that means its a direct sequel, none of that means its a successor.

Simply means they are both in the same world, NOT that they are directly the same games by design to argue a direct sequel.

So this whole "paper was in da game doe" or "da bad guy da same" is irrelevant to the point made.

We all know Bowser is the bad guy in the Mario Universe, that doesn't mean we call Mario Party a direct sequel to Paper Mario or Mario Sunshine.

Not the same game, not the same genre, not the same design, clearly not a sequel, simply share a universe.

Thats really it tbh.
Well, that kind of proves you wrong as it’s a clear continuation of the story, but I see you won’t admit it, so no point carrying on with this conversation any further.

Varteras

Gold Member
You're probably right, but seeing Ubisoft's track record with getting things out on time after announcing them, I wouldn't hold my breath. Skull & Bones and Beyond Good & Evil 2 were announced many moons ago and we're still left with knowing jack shit other than development troubles. People begged Ubisoft for how long to make a new Splinter Cell and they're only just now getting around to it. It's been almost 9 years since the last one. It wouldn't surprise me if Bend gets their game out right before they do. Though their own recent track record ain't fabulous either soooo....

Last edited:

EDMIX

You're probably right, but seeing Ubisoft's track record with getting things out on time after announcing them, I wouldn't hold my breath. Skull & Bones and Beyond Good & Evil 2 were announced many moons ago and we're still left with knowing jack shit other than development troubles. People begged Ubisoft for how long to make a new Splinter Cell and they're only just now getting around to it. It's been almost 9 years since the last one. It wouldn't surprise me if Bend gets their game out right before they do. Though their own recent track record ain't fabulous either soooo....

Well that is based on those projects, that isn't the norm at Ubisoft. For the most part their turnarounds are pretty good, I just can't use 2 examples as some norm. Would be like acting like The Last Guardian or FFXV aka FFXIII Versus is a normal thing at Sony and Square. I think what Ubisoft is doing with those 2 games is just that much different then what they normally put out that you are seeing that development hell type situation, you generally don't see that a lot with them outside of those 2 projects, so I expect that remake out sooner then later. So their track record is better then most in this area and it would be silly to cite 2 examples and then ignore the all the titles that come on a normal cycle from them. For example, Ubisoft did 3 Watchdogs games in the time it took CDPR to make 1 Cyberpunk game and even then they still lacked a shit load of features that even the first Watchdogs had. So If i had to put money on it, I'd say you'll see the 4th Watchdogs game, before you see a correction to CP2077 or Witcher 4 or something. I simply can't use 2 examples as the norm and pretend that is a track record.

For fuck sakes, using your logic, thats every publisher, every majority publisher has at least 1 or 2 titles that got wild developments that got delayed into next gen or something or cancelled etc

Well, that kind of proves you wrong as it’s a clear continuation of the stor

No one is debating that.

You still don't understand what a successor or sequel actually means in terms of games. You are stuck on this whole "da story" or "da bad guy", they can share those things and still not actually be direct sequels or successors bud....

Its why you are stuck on this whole "da story" thing, cause they are not the same genre, not the same gameplay, not the same concept, not even the same fucking design. Thats like saying Paper Mario is a direct sequel Mario 64. It questions if you even understand what that fucking term actually means. Different genres, different concepts, different gameplays. Having the same characters, world, general story, theme and bad guy doesn't actually mean they are direct sequels or successors, that can work in film, tv, books, but in gaming, the actual gameplay is what is used to describe sequels, not simply the theme or story or setting ALONE. Using such dumbass logic, all games with the fucking title "Mario" are all "direct sequels" ignoring many of those games are not the same and only share a character and world, not gameplay.

No one is debating they are in the same universe

I see you won’t admit it,

^ lol suuuuuuuurrrrre.

You are literally trying to argue that the point of what we are talking about is a debate if the story is tied, shared, continued etc to Syphon Filter, I never once fucking stated its not. That isn't a "won't admit" that is saying such a thing doesn't automatically mean a sequel or successor. One can share those things and still be a completely different genre and game ala Paper Mario vs Mario 64.

So I don't know what to tell you bud, having a the same world doesn't automatically mean a direct sequel or successor as lots of IP in gaming do that and I've yet to see someone fucking call Mario Kart the sequel to Mario 64.... screaming BOWSER 100x times isn't going to change that btw.

Varteras

Gold Member
Well that is based on those projects, that isn't the norm at Ubisoft. For the most part their turnarounds are pretty good, I just can't use 2 examples as some norm. Would be like acting like The Last Guardian or FFXV aka FFXIII Versus is a normal thing at Sony and Square. I think what Ubisoft is doing with those 2 games is just that much different then what they normally put out that you are seeing that development hell type situation, you generally don't see that a lot with them outside of those 2 projects, so I expect that remake out sooner then later. So their track record is better then most in this area and it would be silly to cite 2 examples and then ignore the all the titles that come on a normal cycle from them. For example, Ubisoft did 3 Watchdogs games in the time it took CDPR to make 1 Cyberpunk game and even then they still lacked a shit load of features that even the first Watchdogs had. So If i had to put money on it, I'd say you'll see the 4th Watchdogs game, before you see a correction to CP2077 or Witcher 4 or something. I simply can't use 2 examples as the norm and pretend that is a track record.

For fuck sakes, using your logic, thats every publisher, every majority publisher has at least 1 or 2 titles that got wild developments that got delayed into next gen or something or cancelled etc
Easy there killer. I know Ubisoft isn't the master of delayed projects. There are companies who are far more guilty of taking long times to push things out the door. Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, The Division, Ghost Recon. All usually out in a timely manner. I'm just salty that two games I was super excited about from them are damn near vaporware at this point. :messenger_crying:

EDMIX

Easy there killer. I know Ubisoft isn't the master of delayed projects. There are companies who are far more guilty of taking long times to push things out the door. Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, The Division, Ghost Recon. All usually out in a timely manner. I'm just salty that two games I was super excited about from them are damn near vaporware at this point. :messenger_crying:

NP, I worry too as I like the Splinter Cell IP, but because its a remake, I'm not too worried like Skull and Bones worried lol

If some years go by and we don't hear anything about the remake, then we can get them pitchforks ready. (grabs chainsaw) lol

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What would it even be like, the series kinda got left behind and remained true to its clunky PS1 roots to the end, it wouldn't fly today. Splinter Cell Blacklist? That'd be a good framework with stealth and action, missions instead of open world etc., I guess, shame Ubi abandoned it, underrated stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom