• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and worst voice recasts in games

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So, it's become a thing with games (some games, I guess) to keep the same voice work for multiple titles, for consistency's sake. But since the advent of fully voiced performances in games and the largely abandoned text boxes, there has also, logically, been recasting of characters. Sometimes people get bored with the role. Sometimes there's a scheduling conflict. Sometimes people pass away. Sometimes the studio wants to go in a different direction. My question for you, GAF collective, is what are your examples of the best and worst of voice recasting in videogames?

My picks for best would probably be

Chris Redfield - Resident Evil 5-6
It's telling that I can't recall the names of the voice actors for RE1, REmake, and CVX who played Chris, but I remember a stiffness and clumsy reading that's probably synonymous with the era of gaming, and also the fact that Capcom was more concerned with engrossing gameplay than believable human pathos, but Roger Craig Smith now defines the character of Chris for me. It's to the point where even newer material that lacks his participation (like Vendetta) emulate his performance for consistency.

Master Xehanort - Kingdom Hearts 3: ReMind
For those unaware or who give zero shits about KH, Birth By Sleep, a title originally for the PSP, introduced the character of Master Xehanort, an old evil bald dude who's hobbies included darkness and wiggling his fingers. He was voiced by the legendary Leanord Nimoy, a brilliant on the nose casting choice by Square seeing as his rival, Master Eraqus, was voiced by none other than Mark Hamill, but unfortunately he passed away before being able to reprise his role in future entries. Rutger Hauer replaced him, but the role of Xehanort is apparently cursed, and he, too passed away before the DLC of KH3 released. Replacing both for the DLC (and rerecording of lines for the main game) was Christopher Lloyd, and I feel like he strikes a fine balance between both of his predecessors.

I'll give you my examples of worst later, this is too long as is, but I'm interested in hearing others' opinions about this.

killatopak

Kanji from Persona 4.

Honestly couldn’t tell the difference unless I reeeeeeeaaaaallllyyy strain my ears listening constantly for the difference.

Matt Mercer did a great job replacing Troy Baker.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think I'll probably say tentatively that my worst is probably Kiefer Sutherland replacing David Hayter in Metal Gear Solid V. Sutherland definitely has more of a pedigree, but it falls apart for me because Hayter after all these years just embodies Snake/Big Boss. I know people got critical of him as he went on, sort of like he was parodying his work in MGS1/2, but he still gave the character all of his famous vocal quirks. Secondly, Keifer has, like...what? 86 lines in the game?

Keeping with the trend, another Konami one: the re-recorded voiceovers for Silent Hill 2/3 "remaster," were fucking awful. It's an example of people seeing the wheel, saying it's old and they can do it better, and failing. It was stilted and awkward and whether intentional or not, it worked. Replacing Monica Taylor Horgan and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn with vanilla Laura Bailey, and swapping Guy Cihi with Troy "I'm in everything," Baker just did the script a disservice. Those two are TOO well known. TOO good at the job, in a general sense. A story like Silent Hill NEEDS lesser known actors, because the characters drive the story, and with too recognizable of a voice, it just kills immersion.

Kev Kev

troy baker is great, but i would have preferred ocelots VA from MGS1 or 2. much like keifer, it just didnt work for me, even though i feel they did a good job with the gig.

I think I'll probably say tentatively that my worst is probably Kiefer Sutherland replacing David Hayter in Metal Gear Solid V. Sutherland definitely has more of a pedigree, but it falls apart for me because Hayter after all these years just embodies Snake/Big Boss. I know people got critical of him as he went on, sort of like he was parodying his work in MGS1/2, but he still gave the character all of his famous vocal quirks. Secondly, Keifer has, like...what? 86 lines in the game?

Keeping with the trend, another Konami one: the re-recorded voiceovers for Silent Hill 2/3 "remaster," were fucking awful. It's an example of people seeing the wheel, saying it's old and they can do it better, and failing. It was stilted and awkward and whether intentional or not, it worked. Replacing Monica Taylor Horgan and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn with vanilla Laura Bailey, and swapping Guy Cihi with Troy "I'm in everything," Baker just did the script a disservice. Those two are TOO well known. TOO good at the job, in a general sense. A story like Silent Hill NEEDS lesser known actors, because the characters drive the story, and with too recognizable of a voice, it just kills immersion.

I am still butthurt over MGS. Kiefer =/= Snake.

I think the one thing that would’ve salvaged the whole Kiefer Snake thing would be if in the “Truth” mission where they reveal the real Big Boss he’s actually voiced by Hayter. I really don’t know why didn’t do that.

Then again ever since Kojima hooked up with that Hollywood buddy of his he’s been kind of a star-fucker so I guess he “needed” to have a Hollywood actor in the role. Hayter deserved better.

intbal

It doesn't get worse than this:

2hyzMhI.jpg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think the one thing that would’ve salvaged the whole Kiefer Snake thing would be if in the “Truth” mission where they reveal the real Big Boss he’s actually voiced by Hayter. I really don’t know why didn’t do that.

Then again ever since Kojima hooked up with that Hollywood buddy of his he’s been kind of a star-fucker so I guess he “needed” to have a Hollywood actor in the role. Hayter deserved better.

I've had the same thought before. Would be a super easy way to justify the change in-universe and I'm surprised someone like Kojima didn't jump at it.

wvnative

Best: Almost the entire FFVII Remake cast. The one I didn't like is a spoiler so for those who haven't played/beat the story I won't say who it is.

Worst: Xenosaga II (Did we EVER find out what the fuck happened here?)

The_hunter

The jp voice actor for snake is the same VA, also in ground zeroes it's still Kiefer.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Kiefer Sutherland as Snake. The dipshit Troy Baker and company for the Silent Hill HD Collection.

Top Bottom