• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Android Phone 2021 is a Sony?!

longdi

Banned

getting back on Xperia train, preordered!

+hardware fingerprint sensors!
+21:9
+headphone jack
+dual front facing stereo
+notification LED
+4K 120hz Oled
+1300nits outdoor!
+better SD888 thermal management
+near stock android
+LDAC with the new XM4

EekTheKat

IMHO, coming from a first gen Xperia 1, they're solid daily drivers with little to complain about.

What actually makes me super curious about the Xperia 1 Mark III is whether or not the HDMI in feature works as a mini monitor for something that's not a Camera. The manual itself seems to imply that it would function with an HDMI out compatible device (albeit with very specific cable/adapter requirements).

Xperia 1 III XQ-BC52/XQ-BC62/XQ-BC72 | Help Guide | Using the External monitor app (sony.net)

Tschumi

I detest fingerprint scanners. Not because of privacy, i just fuggin hate unlocking my phone inadvertently just because the tiniest sliver of a finger brushes against the fucking things

HoodWinked

21:9 seems like a negative not sure if a narrower phone wouldn't make swiping and tapping on the upper portions of the phone more annoying in one handed operation.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Sony's don't get enough love, they're much better than anything Samsung puts out. I have yet to buy another Samsung, last one was the S3.

Relativ9

I've had a few Xperia over the years, but I started buying rugged phones instead cause I would always need to put pretty hardcore protective cases on them and eventually just cut out the middle man and got a phone just as big as a cased Android but that didn't need a case.

Since then though good lord has the naming convention gone to shit.

Excess

This one almost peaked my interest. I've been a OnePlus user for several years now. I had the OnePlus 3T and upgraded to the 7 Pro.

However, I'll be moving on from OnePlus going forward because they've become a victim of their own success. Most people know this. I've been eyeing the Pixel, but that doesn't have a fingerprint sensor. So I've been looking into alternatives, and this almost had me interested until I saw it was not an under-screen fingerprint display, which I'm going to be picky about.

I really don't want to have to buy a Samsung. I don't like their One UI, and you pay a premium price. Phones fucking suck these days. No cheap innovators, and I can't imagine Sony wouldn't charge a premium for this.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I planing on making it my next phone. My past few phones have been Pixels, but never again. Hardware is shockingly poor.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
But it’s Android, how can it be good? 😂 sorry couldn’t resist
I am looking forward to Android getting from 2% to 3% when it comes to profit share in the smartphone market.

Must be brutal competing on pointless tech specs will all the Chinese companies, at least some people have a job due to that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom