• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Dev: Naughty Dog, Insomniac, or From?

Historical poll

• Naughty Dog

Votes: 109 40.5%
  • Insomniac

Votes: 39 14.5%
  • From

Votes: 121 45.0%

• Total voters

Y0ssarian

Banned
Tough call.

Naughty Dog had Crash and Jak.
Insomniac had Spyro, Ratchet and Resistance (I don't like Spidermen). From had Demons Souls 1-5 plus Sekiro. Ima vote From

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
giphy.gif

Last edited:

SSfox

Fromsoft and it's not even close

Also when it comes to Sony studio Sony Santa Monica are way beyond than both ND and Insomniacs combined.

Fredrik

I’m play Uncharted Lost Legacy and I’m having a ton of fun. It’s a real joy to play and I like the tone, feels like Indiana Jones, nice characters too, Chloe is so far from a boring toned down 2022 creation, I really like the open driving map too, pleasant surprise all around for me. Still looks amazing.

So from that perspective I would say Naughty Dog is the best.

BUT…. Lost Legacy is an old game now. The current dark mode ND is not my thing at all. Not sure if the same writers are there anymore and I read somewhere that Druckmann wanted to kill off Elena for some reason and we all know what happened in TLOU. I don’t know, they’ve started walking a path I can’t walk, I don’t need more darkness in my life.

And I’ve still not finished a single FROM game.

So I’m going with Insomniac. Ratchet was awesome, #3 for me last year, best localization ever too, voice-acted to perfection in swedish, loved it from start to finish, played it with the kids beside me and it was very likely the best family play-throughs I’ve ever done. Amazing dev!

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

yurinka

Until the day they (Sony or ND) decided that white straight males are something bad that need to be removed from being game protagonists and relegated to bad or dumb guys, Naughty Dog. The new Chloe and Nadine aren't even a shadow of Nate, and same goes with Abby and Joel. The charisma of main characters went from 100 to 0, even if at least in TLOU have Ellie.

Since that day, Capcom or From Software are the best.

Last edited:

Majukun

for my tastes, from.

naughty dog is impressive in their production quality, but their games are way too scripty and cinematic for me.

insomniac does some incredibly polished work, but maybe too polished, their games seem to lack a bit of a "crunch"

from games passed me at this point, i'm old and not as into hard games as i once was, but in terms of gameplay they are little gems in the current landscape..only a little too obtuse, not a fan of having to play a game with a wiki page opened, but i get the appeal when people buy those games day one and interact live with the community to decipher all those misteries, both mechanic and story wise.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i'm old and not as into hard games that i once was,
I hear this a lot around here for me that’s kind of opposite, when I was young kid I give up on games way too easily because I had almost zero patience but as I got older I’m much more in to difficult games I kind want to see myself struggle in games.

Majukun

I hear this a lot around here for me that’s kind of opposite, when I was young kid I give up on games way too easily because I had almost zero patience but as I got older I’m much more in to difficult games I kind want to see myself struggle in games.
my issue was never patience, and i didn't have a lot of money so the games i got i would squeeze every drop of gameplay for it.

now my issue is the opposite, don't have the reflexes i once had nor have the time to invest to get through with repetition and practice

Kokoloko85

There all very different So of course its subjective.

Output and effort Id give to Insomniac, they released Spiderman, Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank all in 3 years.
But I dont think Spiderman or Ratchet and Clank were on the level of Uncharted, Dark Souls, Bloodborne or TLOU etc. But they are very different games. Some people will prefer the open world games. I loved all of them.

Fromsoftware makes very different games but Id say its between Naughty Dog and FromSoftware.

No1 can make a game like Miyazaki. Dark Souls 2 was evident of that. They are always my game of the year or generation.

No1 does attention to detail, voice acting, animations and action scenes like Naughty Dog. Rockstar is on par with the voice acting but everything else no1 can compare to Naughty Dog. That rollercoaster action scenes have been imitated but no1 gets close. Tomb Raider feels like a cheap knock off in these parts. Same with face/animations and voice acting etc. They are far ahead of the other studios in and outside Playstation studios

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Speaking ONLY objectively about actual dev skills, probably ND. The quality of what they release is insane. Insomniac are close though, what they've done on the PS5 so far is very nice. And they are incredibly productive, releasing 2-3 games in the time it takes ND to release one.

From are by far the least skilled objectively. But they may very well make the best games subjectively to a lot of people, that's not really something you can make an objective judgement about.

HAYA8U5A

I have accepted From Software games are just not for me. I have no doubt they are great at what they do but I just want to chill and relax with games. Naughty Dog make good cinematic experiences and set pieces but I don't find the gameplay particularly strong and at the end of the day if I want a cinematic experience I would rather just watch a movie. Give me A Quiet Place Part II over The Last of Us Part II any day. Which leaves Insomniac and that is exactly what I look for. Simple fun polished games with enjoyable gameplay I can just chill and relax with and enjoy the experience. So for my personal tastes this is Insomniac and the other two are not even slightly close. Something like Insomniac versus Sucker Punch would be a hard debate for me.

Top Bottom