• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Final Fantasy Ending?

Which Final Fantasy Had The Best Ending?

• Total voters
XV

It's the one I was most excited to see, because it meant I was finally finished with the game.

But, serious answer, probably XIII-2, just because of shock value. Crisis Core was pretty emotional even knowing the outcome ahead of time.

Last edited:
It's between IX and X.

Something about that Vivi letter from FFIX and that Yuna / Tidus "hug" plus that high five to end that cut scene...

Can't vote yet, honestly. Need to think for a bit lol.

This series truly peaked with these 2 games huh...

Airbus Jr

Banned
7 aerith died...

10 tidus dead...tidus father also dead...

13 two of your teammate are dead..

15 is the darkest of all..your fathers dead..kingdom fall....your girlfriend dead...all your teammates dead...and you eventually dead...

The one with happy ending are 8, 9 and 12...most beautiful ending are 9..

Last edited:
My votes are visible, so I would include Mystic Quest having a nice ending as well since it was not on the list.
As much as I love Final Fantasy 7, I can't choose it because I am a rare one in that I hated it's ending.
Final Fantasy 6 has a hopeful ending, but the world is still a rearranged Scorched wasteland.
FF 8, 9, and the 13 games have the happiest endings. I have not completed 5 yet so I can't comment on it.
I won't touch the MMO Final Fantasy games, so I can't comment on those.

7 aerith died...

15 is the darkest of all..your fathers dead..kingdom fall....your girlfriend dead...all your teammates dead...and you eventually dead...

Isn’t it implied that the teammates survive in FFXV?

My votes are visible, so I would include Mystic Quest having a nice ending as well since it was not on the list.
As much as I love Final Fantasy 7, I can't choose it because I am a rare one in that I hated it's ending.
Final Fantasy 6 has a hopeful ending, but the world is still a rearranged Scorched wasteland.
FF 8, 9, and the 13 games have the happiest endings. I have not completed 5 yet so I can't comment on it.
I won't touch the MMO Final Fantasy games, so I can't comment on those.
Added Mystic. Never heard of it tbh wow

Doom85

7 aerith died...

Oh god, I hate to break this to you, but Vivi’s letter at the end of IX has some very sad implications. It’s not confirmed he died but it looks to be the most likely case.

Also X ended with Auron definitively gone, whereas the stinger implied Tidus might be able to return which set up X-2.

Edit: I do remember being confused as hell after finishing VII and reading that people thought humanity was gone at the end. Talk about massive jumping to conclusions, a brief scene showing a single city in ruins 500 years later and that automatically equals humanity being extinct? Advent Children coming out of course put at end to this theory.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
X. Gets me everysingletime.

So much, that I finally, today, I celebrate I unclocked Penance, goal that was on my mind for almost 20 years : )))))

royox

6 if you did the sidequests of the side characters hit super hard. That Shadow part...my gosh.

After that, Shadowbringers has the literal best ending of the FF saga.

8, 9 and 10 are all amazing. 9 is probably the best overall. 7, as great of a game it is, has a weak ending and unmemorable ending theme.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I only voted for one ... FF6 (US FFIII).

As of the time of me typing this, it is leading the poll and that makes me feel good about this place.

Feeling Season 9 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

The greatest game of all time is FINAL FANTASY VII. That said, the greatest game ending of all time is FINAL FANTASY VIII.

Notice I didn't say "greatest Final Fantasy," I said the greatest period. Final Fantasy VII is the greatest video game of all time, and Final Fantasy VIII has the greatest video game ending of all time.

The greatest game of all time is FINAL FANTASY VII. That said, the greatest game ending of all time is FINAL FANTASY VIII.

Notice I didn't say "greatest Final Fantasy," I said the greatest period. Final Fantasy VII is the greatest video game of all time, and Final Fantasy VIII has the greatest video game ending of all time.
Bold statements is what I like to see. Interesting though as for me what keeps FFVII from that of all time list is that bum boy ending 😂

Ailike

Oh god, I hate to break this to you, but Vivi’s letter at the end of IX has some very sad implications. It’s not confirmed he died but it looks to be the most likely case.

Also X ended with Auron definitively gone, whereas the stinger implied Tidus might be able to return which set up X-2.

Edit: I do remember being confused as hell after finishing VII and reading that people thought humanity was gone at the end. Talk about massive jumping to conclusions, a brief scene showing a single city in ruins 500 years later and that automatically equals humanity being extinct? Advent Children coming out of course put at end to this theory.
I was in the "The planet healed itself by decimating humanity" camp. I feel it would still hold true, except for the very counter you present, which I think is not based on true authorial intent, but rather $$$$$$. I'll retcon my own life if you pay me enough.

AlexxKidd

Bold statements is what I like to see. Interesting though as for me what keeps FFVII from that of all time list is that bum boy ending 😂

Yeah, I love FF7 in an unabashed way and I actually hate FF8, but I have no problem admitting 8's ending is not only superior to 7's, it's also the greatest video game ending I've ever seen.

I judge FF endings by the absurdly stupid standard of "did I cry?"

So my answer would be FF9 and/or FF8.

FF9 because oh sweet jesus he made it back, and FF8 because oh sweet jesus that music.

It's so beautiful.

ugly cry GIF

Last edited:

Doom85

I was in the "The planet healed itself by decimating humanity" camp. I feel it would still hold true, except for the very counter you present, which I think is not based on true authorial intent, but rather $$$$$$. I'll retcon my own life if you pay me enough.

I mean, it seemed pretty obvious to me it was Holy that stopped Meteor likely aided by Aerith’s essence in the Lifestream (who would NOT be trying to end humanity since that kind of includes her friends), and then the planet recovered due to Shinra pretty much being toast at that point. I just never saw where suddenly all of humanity dying was even possibly a factor, not to mention while the game was dark it would feel like a huge leap to end on THAT dark a note.

Kev Kev

FF8 ending is near perfect. all the story resolutions, seeing all the characters one last time, the music, squall and rinoa having a happily ever after, and my favorite part of all, laguna standing at raine's tombstone...

end7.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

laguna-ending-final-fantasy-viii.jpg

its so perfect and so bittersweet. ah, its hard to explain the feeling i get but it hits me in the feels hard. beautiful ending, and hands down my favorite ending in the FF series.

Honestly for me, it’s XV. I thought it was the most boring game in the series to play but for whatever reason that ending HIT.
i had to look up what the hell happened in 15 because i just got so lost in the story. but once i realized what actually happened... man, that shit hit super hard. i kind of thought the camp fire scene was dumb the first time, but when i realized what it really was and what it meant, it wrecked me. 15 is probably my number 2 for best endings. and that last shot of him on the throne and her resting his head on him, ugh, so good.

i just wish the rest fo the game wasnt such a mess lol. also, it really gave the ending more impact to watch the anime and the movie, which were really well done!

shit, i need to replay 15 soon, just to go through that story again. i liked that villain too!

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
VIII, IX, X, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XV in no particular order for me.

VII is my favorite game in the series with VI behind it, but the ending was a bit too anti-climactic/abstract for me. I know there's a bunch of post-VII Compilation content (and theoretically still is) but as a self contained piece, the ending with the Lifestream just sort of felt like...too disconnected from the characters' struggles. I get thematically it matches, but it's like if Sauron was defeated in the LotR because Mount Doom erupted or something.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Honestly I’d give it to X and XV.

Top Bottom