• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best game in the GTA franchise?

Best GTA?

• GTA San Andreas

• GTA Vice City

• GTA 3

• GTA China Town Wars

• GTAV

• GTA Vice/Liberty Stories

• Grand Theft Auto

• GTA2

• Other, please specify

• GTA 4

Results are only viewable after voting.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
IV.
Still the best physics and city.
Also by a mile, the best story and a mixture of parody and serious tone.
Shame, the only good real versions are stuck on 360 and ps3. The pc version was always bad and xbox one versions have removed original music

Vice City.

80's soundtrack and Scarface inspired protagonist and storyline? Checks all the boxes for what I like.

scarface-tony-montana.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've seen people either love them or hate them. I hated them. Every turn while driving felt like a drunk driving simulator.
It tried to be more realistic. Gotta slow down before turning 100mph :p
It was not for everyone taste for sure. I liked the boaty feel myself

I do see why a lot of people are saying GTA IV. The world was very immersive and I liked Niko a lot.

It definitely has my favourite driving of the series. I liked the realistic approach.

EDMIX

I'd say GTAV and GTA SA.

GTA SA simply because of the concept of many cities and so many mini games.

GTA V based on the scale, design, gameplay.

Remake GTA SA using GTA V gameplay and its a winner. I love the whole series though regardless.

EDMIX

San Andreas hands down. Great story, characters, tone, atmosphere and there’s loads of fun stuff to do - something the series has regressed on since then.

I agree in terms of features. I think its really, really hard to keep up with a lot of that stuff post renderware as it had its ups but more downs then anything.

So I get why with a new more demanding engine we just shouldn't expect the ability to break into homes, go to the gym or get fat etc. I think with GTA SA, it fit a lot and it was based on how flexible renderware was, but without GTA4 or GTAV using new engines, no way does that series survive that massive downgrade for generations on end, people would just start attacking them like "copy and paste job folks" and or "another new coat of paint cash grab" etc |

So I do want those features to return, but I get why they made the choice to focus on a new engine and different dynamics to keep up with the industry. Had they always been like "keep shit the same and never change" mind set, you never get GTA SA to begin with, you get something like this

300px-GTA.JPG

So those new ideas give us GTA SA

Those new ideas can also omit the focus of those features to make a new engine to keep giving us new shit. Its why even from GTA IV to V you see a massive amount of content, features etc that didn't exist in IV, yet do in V.

My hope is that they are indeed working on a new engine for graphics, but the base is that of GTAV so they can build and give us more features ala GTA III to SA.

IT didn't just start like GTA SA, but they had many games on that engine until we got that legend.

Maybe they need the same amount of time on a new engine to get that done down the line as GTA III to VC to SA is very progressive in terms of features they continued to add like shooting tires, windows, eatting etc all of that slowly was added as each entry came out. Maybe they want a return to the gang concept like tagging, having gang members join a 4 door car, robbing houses etc lol

One day.

radewagon

GTA IV
- First time the gunplay was enjoyable and not a sloppy mess.
- Best protagonist.
- Best story.
- Best DLC.

Everything pre-4 was just janky. And yeah, I played them when they were new. The polish of IV really elevated the series. Part V was fun, but a step backwards in many respects.

bender

What time is it?
San Andreas (best sandbox) > Vice City (best theme) > GTAIII

IV is dogshit. Terrible characters, terrible writing, predictable story, Vaseline filter, massive downgrade in side content.

Kacho

Gold Member
So I get why with a new more demanding engine we just shouldn't expect the ability to break into homes, go to the gym or get fat etc.
RDR2 literally did all this and more (minus the gym for obvious reasons). You didn’t just go into random buildings either. You could meticulously search drawers and cupboards. It was bananas.

It also had incredible activity variety and one off events, such as the ghost train or the vampire. The world was so dense with stuff to see and do.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Vice City for me.
GTA3 is still the most significant gaming thing to happen in all our lives. It's not on my list of 'best games evar' but it's certainly the most important.

Concern

IV.
Shame, the only good real versions are stuck on 360 and ps3. The pc version was always bad and xbox one versions have removed original music

IV has an Xbox one version???

RayHell

SA was my best
As much as I liked V when it came out, Rockstar milking frenzy left me with a bad aftertaste. This company went from gangsters to prostitutes.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Going with San Andreas, TOO many fond memories.

It also felt like everyone and their grandma had the game back then, the way it was sought out where I was at the time.

spons

Gold Member
IV plays like an absolute charm on Xbox Series. A flat, stable 60 FPS. Probably the best way to play the game.

GeekyDad

Loved San Andreas and III, had a bit of fun with Vice City, but I spent the most time with and had the most fun with Chinatown Wars on DS. Still my personal favorite. Best of old-school and new-school. Just great stuff.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
IV.

I’m playing IV on PC right now. I didn’t notice anything bad about it. Can you elaborate?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’m playing IV on PC right now. I didn’t notice anything bad about it. Can you elaborate?
The fps is fine but should be capped at 60.
Going over about 57, starts slowly breaking camera in cinematics and when breaking.
The depth of field is broken at 4k (enabled with p key). It is almost not visible, Disabling it also disables motion blur
The music is patched out. Can be modded back in on pc
The colors are a bit faded on default settings compared to 360 release.

Generally it is "fine" but There are tons of small issues that might be more visible to purists

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Played every single one, most multiple times, VC is still the nearest and dearest to my heart.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The fps is fine but should be capped at 60.
Going over about 57, starts slowly breaking camera in cinematics and when breaking.
The depth of field is broken at 4k (enabled with p key). It is almost not visible, Disabling it also disables motion blur
The music is patched out. Can be modded back in on pc
The colors are a bit faded on default settings compared to 360 release.

Generally it is "fine" but There are tons of small issues that might be more visible to purists

Yep, I just checked out the other thread where a brilliant mod to bring back missing graphical features was recommended (GitHub page).

GTA IV is like the only game that I don't play at 4k. I think the game graphics were not designed for it. It just looks so much better in 1440p or 1080p. It has this nice softness to it.

I need to mod back the OG soundtrack before I proceed further in the story.

GymWolf

Gta3, the only game capable of forcing me into a 10 hours session the first time i tried it, it was that revolutionary.

Vice city or 4 for second place, the first is a more refined gta3 and the second introduced euphoria engine and i loved niko accent.

EDMIX

RDR2 literally did all this and more (minus the gym for obvious reasons). You didn’t just go into random buildings either. You could meticulously search drawers and cupboards. It was bananas.

It also had incredible activity variety and one off events, such as the ghost train or the vampire. The world was so dense with stuff to see and do.

Agreed. Its why I feel them using the same engine was a wise choice, so I wonder if that is what they plan for GTAVI in terms of detail and dense design etc.

EDMIX

+ Ray Liotta killed it as Tommy

And that soundtrack. Goddamn. What a masterpiece.

I agree with the voice over work, but I'd say GTA SA with Samuel L Jackson, Chris Penn etc had amazing talent on board too.

Soundtrack is debatable as its music and many might like those 90's hits better, but love all the old GTAs a lot though.

edit. On a remake I'd love to see more on the gang set up to make it like how GTA SA was so you can have your crew do a bit more with you, it would still fit the theme as I recall he has lots of allies and buddies in GTA VC

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Objectivly GTA5 is the best because its the most modern.

But I voted GTA:SA because at the time it meant more to me and I prefer the customisation,rpg elements and versitility SA had.

Rickyiez

LOLw GTA4 . Game is mediocre AF not kidding .

I finished the game and all I remember was the brown and bloom everywhere , with Nico being an errand boy

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Voted for GTA Vice City

Ray Liotta as the VA
Legendary game

San Andreas is right there though, I swear those two games are untouchable in the series. We’ll never see better work than Vice City or San Andreas

SJRB

Gold Member
IV by a mile.

It has the best atmosphere, the best city design, the best story, incredible driving and car deformation physics, great missions [the bank heist was insane], a memorable cast of characters, multiple apartments for you to hang out, neat radio stations [not the best though], better cop alert mechanics. And the very best intro / main menu music.

Overall it's an awesome experience.

Top Bottom