• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best headsets for next-gen gaming (PS5)?

Hey there, lads. I have a PS5 (although I also game less frequently on PC as well), and before I get myself Returnal I want to get a proper headset to make the most of the audio design. What headsets are you currently using and how has your experience been so far?

I've been told that the Pulse 3D are quite bad, and I have a mate who swears by his HyperX Cloud Stinger which he has owned for years now, while another one claims his broke after a couple months and they weren't even that good to begin with. Are those OK or should I go with something else?

As this would be my first foray into headset gaming, I'm somewhat reluctant on spending that much on something like an SS Arctis 7, but if any cheaper ones are just plain shite, then so be it lol

graywolf323

Gold Member
personally I'd say SteelSeries are worth it, I have kinda big ears and the Arctis headsets are the only ones I've ever been able to wear for hours without any discomfort

I have the Pro ones but I'm sure the 7P/X are fine too

Rtings actually has the pair I use as their best overall headset for gaming :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Using Sony Pulse 3d for few months now and I still love it. The sound quality is just fantastic and 3d on ps5 is super good.
I also use it (more than on ps5) on pc. The dongle just works there. I play some bf5 with it and Everything sounds deep, detailed and microphone is good surprisingly. Voice monitor is very useful.
Battery life is not great but it's t least 10 hours. USB c charging.

It is for sure not bad. It gets a lot of hate because it's "console headset" but I find it great even for music on pc. Sounds similar to koss porta pro and everyone who knows anything about headphones, know it's a high praise. But pulse 3d has better bass and directionality

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have the arctis Pro plus gamedac but I should have just grabbed the wireless I guess lol.

The pro plus gamedac is great though.

Bartski

Gold Member
I have multiple sets, both high-end and budget and honestly, I have recently bought Pulse 3D, they're my go-to. The sound is exceptionally good for the price but what's just as important - they are light, comfortable, sit well on the head, don't slide, they're well isolated (good closed-back design + noise cancelation), have built-in mic with on/off monitoring and they seamlessly, wirelessly integrate all their functions PS5 OS. And they cost 100 bucks.

For the most important biggest games - I still go for my Audeze LCD-X but that's 1.2k$ a pair and the sound is just something else. But they're huge, heavy, have a big ass cable, and after a couple of hours your head just hurts and I'd always end up switching to something lighter and more convenient. That used to be Sennheiser HD-25s, but now Pulse 3D is the obvious choice all the way. That also eliminates a cable sticking out of your controller which is always a pain in the ass.

The only downside could be the battery life, I haven't very long play sessions with Pulse 3D yet, looks like I'll find out this weekend with Returnal.

Mr Hyde

I went with Pulse 3D. Didn't like them at the beginning, quite uncomfortable compared to my Sennheiser, but the more I used them the better they got. Now I love them. Excellent sound quality, neat integration with the system itself and the 3D audio was very good in Demon's Souls. Which had a fantastic audio design overall. Can't wait to try them out on Returnal.

R6Rider

Gold Member
My Golds I had for exactly 3 years to this day finally broke (the headband, which is plastic, cracked then fully snapped) so I got the Pulse 3D headset to replace them.

Mic sounds a little better than the Golds, but I use a separate USB mic anyway so can't really give good comparison here. I thought my Golds were comfortable, but the Pulse is insane how good it is. Overall the headset feels more expensive than it is and the audio is great too, especially for gaming. The build quality is also better, and has a metal band instead of plastic.

Plus it has an AUX port too, which is a huge factor for me. Highly recommended for the price.

FrankWza

I've been told that the Pulse 3D are quite bad
They’re pretty damn good for the money. The platinum is better sounding and more comfortable since they’re bigger and you get mixing same as pulse. Penrose has some annoying drawbacks but sound wise they are tough to beat for a gaming headset but you need a peanut head and small ears. I would order as many as you’re interested in and return what doesn’t fit/sound good. Arctis 7 sounds similar to pulse but are more comfortable and they’re $50 more so I’d go platinum over Arctis there.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I went with Pulse 3D because it’s reasonably priced and I can recommend it, it sounds really good and the surround effect/3D is pretty convincing. Every other option seemed a bit steep for what I get in return because I’m not much of an audiophile but people seem to really like Artic 7, so maybe that’s a better option.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
For next gen gaming you say? Not available for PS5 as of now, but some time soon. Ish. Possibly.
HP_kit.jpg

120024739_374598930210590_7177606988018614989_n.jpg

Last edited:

Esca

I really like my arctis 7p. Comfy, lightweight, sound good, and excellent battery life. I'm no audiophile but I found them to be well worth it

jzosa

What do you guys think of the Arctis Pro Wireless for PS5? I've been using both the Arctis 1 wireless and Arctis 7P. Is the pro wireless a big step up fro these 2?

FrankWza

What do you guys think of the Arctis Pro Wireless for PS5? I've been using both the Arctis 1 wireless and Arctis 7P. Is the pro wireless a big step up fro these 2?
As far as I know it’s the same drivers. You get some more bells and whistles and I believe Bluetooth support for connecting a phone and an extra battery and better mic. But it connects via optical originally and needs a workaround to get the sound louder since the usb connection is gimped on legacy headset base stations. Could have changed after the last big update though but I haven’t tried any of my usb headsets. I believe iamvin22 iamvin22 has them and wasn’t happy with them on PS5.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
As far as I know it’s the same drivers. You get some more bells and whistles and I believe Bluetooth support for connecting a phone and an extra battery and better mic. But it connects via optical originally and needs a workaround to get the sound louder since the usb connection is gimped on legacy headset base stations. Could have changed after the last big update though but I haven’t tried any of my usb headsets. I believe iamvin22 iamvin22 has them and wasn’t happy with them on PS5.
They are still listed as the best gaming headset. There was an update for it. I figured out a way to get the optical cable to work.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
They are good once you have the optical cable set right. The problem is that out the box with the USB dongle they function as a ps4 pro. There's no option for PS5. When I followed a few steps on yt it sounded light-years better and that's because I had connected it with the optical

rofif

Banned
For next gen gaming you say? Not available for PS5 as of now, but some time soon. Ish. Possibly.
HP_kit.jpg

120024739_374598930210590_7177606988018614989_n.jpg
Oh jeez how clever. Welcome to 2013... And most vr games are still shit.njust that we have some gems now. Quest 2 is cheap. I don't see a reason anyone should not get one and at least play Alyx and beat saber

Reave

Spun my wheels about finding the best gaming headset for over a year... I'm talking Arctis, HyperX, Astros, etc.

...then someone put me on to $75 audiophile-like open-back headphones, the Philips SHP9500 + a $35 V-MODA BoomPro mic (on Amazon).

Best gaming headset I've ever used. Period. Not even close.

GymWolf

Nothing from sony.

I have their platinum and my friend always shit on me because the microphone is trash of the highest order.

Right now i'm looking at the arctis 7 series, people seems to love this stuff.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Spun my wheels about finding the best gaming headset for over a year... I'm talking Arctis, HyperX, Astros, etc.

...then someone put me on to $75 audiophile-like open-back headphones, the Philips SHP9500 + a $35 V-MODA BoomPro mic (on Amazon).

Best gaming headset I've ever used. Period. Not even close.
And now you have to deal with cables and weird setups because of audiophile logic. Good Wireless sounds just as good and I will stand by it. You don't loose audibly on quality. To my ear, my pulse 3d sounded even a bit better than my koss porta pro which is extremely high praise. Porta pro is still my wired king but it's been sitting in a drawer since I got pulse 3d

TransTrender

Gold Member
What are the major difference between pro at 400 euros and normal arctis 7 series at less than half price?!

And are these ok for 3d audio in ps5?!
This is all I got:

As for 3D Audio I can't really comment since the only game I played that used it was Astro, and it was alright.

GymWolf

Friend bought it and returned before he got Razer blackshark v2 pro.
Steelseries is the most overrated headset. It's ok but sounded dry, was too small on my head and generally not most comfortable.
Tell me more.

P.s. why the laugh reaction? Mine was a sincere request.

Last edited:

Reave

And now you have to deal with cables and weird setups because of audiophile logic. Good Wireless sounds just as good and I will stand by it. You don't loose audibly on quality. To my ear, my pulse 3d sounded even a bit better than my koss porta pro which is extremely high praise. Porta pro is still my wired king but it's been sitting in a drawer since I got pulse 3d
It’s not a weird setup. It’s a short cord from headphones to my controller. Pretty simple, actually.

I also owned a Pulse 3D headset, and I’m of the same mindset as Rtings in that it’s an average-to-disappointing sounding headset.

To each their own.

rofif

Banned
It’s not a weird setup. It’s a short cord from headphones to my controller. Pretty simple, actually.

I also owned a Pulse 3D headset, and I’m of the same mindset as Rtings in that it’s an average-to-disappointing sounding headset.

To each their own.
Weird to controller is not bad. The amp is a bit stronger than ps4 had.
As for rtings. They praise steelseries and kinda shit on pulse 3d... I've tried both and have exactly opposite opinion :p

FrankWza

Nothing from sony.

I have their platinum and my friend always shit on me because the microphone is trash of the highest order.

The mic on the platinum isn’t bad, it picks up a lot of background noise. Try a foam windscreen and it will sound better. The drivers are bigger and better than the pulse and Arctis 7 and sound better on PS5. The Arctis are potentially more comfortable because they have softer and more breathable pads. That’s about it though. Sound about the same as pulse and pulse offers full PS compatibility like mixing.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I went with Pulse 3D. Didn't like them at the beginning, quite uncomfortable compared to my Sennheiser, but the more I used them the better they got. Now I love them. Excellent sound quality, neat integration with the system itself and the 3D audio was very good in Demon's Souls. Which had a fantastic audio design overall. Can't wait to try them out on Returnal.

Can't go wrong with Pulse 3D, really love them! 3 hours to play Returnal...

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Still rocking my Bose QC 35 wired.

I’d doubt I’d see any tangible benefit from purchasing anything newer.

GymWolf

The mic on the platinum isn’t bad, it picks up a lot of background noise. Try a foam windscreen and it will sound better. The drivers are bigger and better than the pulse and Arctis 7 and sound better on PS5. The Arctis are potentially more comfortable because they have softer and more breathable pads. That’s about it though. Sound about the same as pulse and pulse offers full PS compatibility like mixing.
When i use the platinum my friends told me that my voice seems coming from underwater and they are not really comfy after just an hour.

Even a pair of cheap hyperX has a better microphone in my tests (and they are more comfy).

Last edited:

FrankWza

voice seems coming from underwater and they are not really comfy after just an hour.
If those are your issues then yeah, Arctis 7 will solve that imo. They’re definitely more comfortable and adjustable than pulse 3d and plat

Last edited:

Jebron

So I have the SHP9500, 2016 A40’s, and the Arctis 7x. About 80% of the time I use the SHP9500’s, they should very good with the DualSense. I’ve started to use the Arctis 7x’s more on the PS5 but they sound muffled and lack bass, but I don’t have this problem when using them with the Series X.

I’d love a wireless solution but I’m hesitant on the Pulse 3D’s sounding better than the SHP9500’s.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
personally I'd say SteelSeries are worth it, I have kinda big ears and the Arctis headsets are the only ones I've ever been able to wear for hours without any discomfort

I have the Pro ones but I'm sure the 7P/X are fine too

Rtings actually has the pair I use as their best overall headset for gaming :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Yes I have Arctis headsets and despite wearing glasses with thick rims I don't feel any discomfort. Maybe a slight one after 3-4 hours of constant playing, but it's still better than all of my previous headphones.

Last edited:
Nothing from sony.

Arctis 7 is the bees knees.

Sony Platinum mic gave in months after I picked it up brand new.

You won't regret Arctis 7 purchase.

Jebron

Has anyone experienced both the 7X and 7P on the PS5? My 7X’s sound so good on the Series X, but sound a little muffled and lack bass on the PS5.

Top Bottom