• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best headsets for next-gen gaming (PS5)?

small_law

So last summer I fell down an audiophile rabbit hole and bought a whole bunch of headphones, including a few I thought would be good for the new consoles. I'm using Audio Technica ATH-G1's, which are light, inoffensive, and wired. Pretty much everything I need in a console headset.

The better thing to do is buy a decent set of headphones and attach a microphone. Gaming headsets are notoriously scrutinized for not sounding as good as they should at their price points. I took my M70x's and attached an ATG-M2 detachable mic. Much better sounding than my dedicated headset, but the wires drove me nuts, so I went back to the ATH-G1.

I can absolutely tell you not to get the ASUS ROG Theta. I lost my mind at Microcenter a few months ago and bought them. As I was checking out, the cashier convinced me to buy the insurance plan on them and I'm very glad I did. Those things are an absolute waste of 300 bucks. They don't sound good at all, they weigh about as much as the sun, and you have to install ASUS's bullshit software in order to configure them. There is absolutely no point in anyone spending that kind of money on that kind of thing. I ended up taking them back.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

The better thing to do is buy a decent set of headphones and attach a microphone. Gaming headsets are notoriously scrutinized for not sounding as good as they should at their price points. I took my M70x's and attached an ATG-M2 detachable mic. Much better sounding than my dedicated headset, but the wires drove me nuts, so I went back to the ATH-G1.
totally agree with this. the 'gaming' label merely marketing. just find good stereo headphone and you go. pair it with good micorophone for best combination. also no need to fall to the 'virtual 7.1 surround' hype as it also part of marketing and not necesary good as it be. in some case it made sound worse. for pc you can just you software like razer surround, dolby atmos or equalizerAPO for similliar effect or can use dac/amp with virtual surround capabilities. some of it come with dolby support.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

here is some of audiophile grade headphone that i see people often recommended and has good reputation for various hearing including gaming(if anyone care). some of it bit pricey and need dac/amp due to higher impedence to drive which is i dont know ps5 or xsx supported. so far i see people comment creative soundblaster g6 supported ps5 but the rest i dont know. however some of in the list is also lower impedence so there should be no need for amp.

open back:

HD560S
PC38X/37X - no need amp
TYGR300 - no need amp
Fidelo X2HR - no need amp
DT990
SHP9500S/9600 - no need amp

Closeback:

AKG371/361 - no need amp
DT770 Pro 80ohm - no need amp but some people need it.
MH752/751- no need amp(a gaming headphone which is actually takstar pro 82 rebrand)

these headphone is mainly for editing but also suit for music, movie and even gaming. but it sound bit different than usual headphone out there particularly those with 'gaming' type. depend on headphone model, it might sound neutral, some tuned to harman frequency, less bass(some people want more bass as possible lol) compared to those gaming headphone so it also matter of each others preferences. but some of it like PC38X/37X and TYGR300 is designed with 'gaming' in mind. DT770, AKG371/361, MH752/75,1 SHP9600/9500S (from expensive to cheaper order) should fall on most of people here budget range. Open back usually has better soundstage compared to closeback. some of it not has microphone so you probably need buy separate or just pair it with V-Moda Boompro for example. i dont own most of these but so far this has good reputation.

edit: just a suggestion for those who bother. i hesitate first to post this for a reason. not a problem if not willing to try these kind of headphones. use whatever you guys feel worth. just sharing stuff here, try to contributing to the thread.

Last edited:

FrankWza

The better thing to do is buy a decent set of headphones and attach a microphone.
I agree, but where we are now it isn’t possible have options when doing this because of the removal of optical ports on new gen consoles. Coupled with the hdmi 2.1 audio boxes being nonexistent you need to use legacy base stations and have to use workarounds to get optical working and still need to occupy at least one USB port for mic. So, the pulse and new xb headset offer a nice priced simple solution for most and an option for others while they wait. They both have nice features for $99 and are fine as long as they’re comfortable to the user
also no need to fall to the 'virtual 7.1 surround' stuff as it also part of marketing
I disagree. Tempest 3D audio on Demons Souls is phenomenal. And it’s even better on Returnal. I’ve used VSS for years and I think it’s great.

Kumomeme

I disagree. Tempest 3D audio on Demons Souls is phenomenal. And it’s even better on Returnal. I’ve used VSS for years and I think it’s great.
no. what i mean is the 'virtual surround' features that often advertised for gaming headphone. not saying it is not important but it is not top priority people should look at. lot of it doesnt sound good(also depend on each other preferences). there is other alternative like proper use dac/amp that support the features(soundblaster g6 has this with dolby) or for pc can either use razer surround or Dolby Atmos. also from what i know the Tempest 3D audio only required stereo headphone to function right?

Last edited:
Checkout some reviews on the Razer Blackshark V2 Pro's. I wasn't a Razer fan at all and figured they weren't capable of making a quality headset but this one is fantastic. Really great sound with the PS5.

Sounds much better than my HyperX Cloud's that I was using previously and those are already pretty highly regarded. Also very comfortable.

Last edited:

FrankWza

no. what i mean is the 'virtual surround' features that often advertised for gaming headphone. not saying it is not important but it is not top priority people should look at. lot of it doesnt sound good(also depend on each other preferences). there is other alternative like proper use dac/amp that support the features(soundblaster g6 has this with dolby) or for pc can either use razer surround or dolby atmos. also from what i know the Tempest 3D audio only required stereo headphone to function right?
Oh yeah. But I think with the console having a dedicated audio chip they’re hoping to remove the need for an amp altogether. You only need stereo headphones for tempest but it doesn’t sound as good when using the controller port compared to something like a g6 or similar amp should sound. But even those are having issues on the PS5 because the sound output over USB is too low. Those non gaming headphones need power to sound their best. The dualsense is far better than DualShock 4 but it’s still not powerful enough to drive them properly enough where the sound opens. They’ll work, but they will sound better if you placed a small amp like a fiio between.
So yeah, usually you want to skip gaming headset altogether. But where we are right now it’s a lot of work to get everything working properly and the pulse 3d offers a solution with a lot of native features like mic monitoring and mixing plus they’re wireless and only$99. I spent a lot of time getting my setup where I wanted it same as you. Not everyone is willing to do that and I don’t blame them. The optical port removal was a big hit and getting the features back takes a workaround.

Kumomeme

Oh yeah. But I think with the console having a dedicated audio chip they’re hoping to remove the need for an amp altogether. You only need stereo headphones for tempest but it doesn’t sound as good when using the controller port compared to something like a g6 or similar amp should sound. But even those are having issues on the PS5 because the sound output over USB is too low. Those non gaming headphones need power to sound their best. The dualsense is far better than DualShock 4 but it’s still not powerful enough to drive them properly enough where the sound opens. They’ll work, but they will sound better if you placed a small amp like a fiio between.
So yeah, usually you want to skip gaming headset altogether. But where we are right now it’s a lot of work to get everything working properly and the pulse 3d offers a solution with a lot of native features like mic monitoring and mixing plus they’re wireless and only$99. I spent a lot of time getting my setup where I wanted it same as you. Not everyone is willing to do that and I don’t blame them. The optical port removal was a big hit and getting the features back takes a workaround.
fair enough. all these hassle is feasible on pc. there lot more work on consoles. not to mention now still very early of generation. even ps4 tooks some time before properly supported usb headphone. i used to plug in hyperx cloud 2 on ps4.

but using something in range of 20-70 ohm should be easier to drive right? no need amp or whatever stuff. just plug in. some of audiophile grade is in that range.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm undecited between arctis 7 or getting up a tier and spending more, i'm collecting low-mid tier headsets in here, i kinda want something with more quality.

But i have no idea what is the next tier after arctis series, i really don't follow the headset market very much.

I'm just trying this supposedly shocking 3d audio on ps5 with returnal but i'm not really shocked that much, so it has to be the current headset or people exagerating as usual...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Christ. A man asks for a headset and You recommend him audiophille crap nobody hears difference with.
Just get some wireless headset, be it Sony Pulse 3d or arctis. As I've said earlier, I got pulse3d and it sounds excellent.
Headsets are a good package. Put on head and everything just works and it's wireless. Do not ruin your life with audiophille crap. I was there and it's not worth it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm undecited between arctis 7 or getting up a tier and spending more, i'm collecting low-mid tier headsets in here, i kinda want something with more quality.

But i have no idea what is the next tier after arctis series, i really don't follow the headset market very much.

I'm just trying this supposedly shocking 3d audio on ps5 with returnal but i'm not really shocked that much, so it has to be the current headset or people exagerating as usual...
The 3d audio on ps5 for sure sounded better with Pulse 3d than with other wired headphones I've plugged in the controller. At least on Demons Souls.
But any wide/open sounding headphone should work. I've tried takstar pro82, koss porta pro and arctis pro. They all sounded good but arctis was kinda dry and uncomfortable to me. If its ok for you (and it's for many people), why not

GymWolf

The 3d audio on ps5 for sure sounded better with Pulse 3d than with other wired headphones I've plugged in the controller. At least on Demons Souls.
But any wide/open sounding headphone should work. I've tried takstar pro82, koss porta pro and arctis pro. They all sounded good but arctis was kinda dry and uncomfortable to me. If its ok for you (and it's for many people), why not
I'm using the sony platinum wireless and they are supposedly better quality than pulse3d but i'm still not really impressed by the 3d audio, maybe i was expecting much more considering all the praise he gets here...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm using the sony platinum wireless and they are supposedly better quality than pulse3d but i'm still not really impressed by the 3d audio, maybe i was expecting much more considering all the praise he gets here...
I've heard pulse3d is better but sorry, I've not tried platinum myself.
Maybe check out razer blackshark v2 pro if You don't want to go sony again ?

Kumomeme

Christ. A man asks for a headset and You recommend him audiophille crap nobody hears difference with.
Just get some wireless headset, be it Sony Pulse 3d or arctis. As I've said earlier, I got pulse3d and it sounds excellent.
Headsets are a good package. Put on head and everything just works and it's wireless. Do not ruin your life with audiophille crap. I was there and it's not worth it.
Deadpool 2 Yes GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

GymWolf

Well the platinum cost double the price compared to the pulse so i think they are better, pulse are a cheap headset at the end of the day.

It's not a matter of brand, but sony best headset is what i have now and they are not really premium tier...imagine the pulse at half the price...

I took a look to the razer but they look a bit fragile and i'm kinda of a rough animal...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well the platinum cost double the price compared to the pulse so i think they are better, pulse are a cheap headset at the end of the day.

It's not a matter of brand, but sony best headset is what i have now and they are not really premium tier...imagine theo pulse who cost half the price...

I took a look to the razer but they look a bit fragile and i'm kinda of a rough animal.

Thirty7ven

Banned

It depends on the game. Returnal seems to be a highlight for the tech.

What’s weird to me is seeing people here say that they connect their headphones to the controller. Audio quality was(PS4) and is(PS5) notoriously worse via the controller. Whatever headset you go with, make sure it’s USB.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It depends on the game. Returnal seems to be a highlight for the tech.

What’s weird to me is seeing people here say that they connect their headphones to the controller. Audio quality was(PS4) and is(PS5) notoriously worse via the controller.
I only use the jack in the ds5 when the platinum have dead battery, so not very often.

Returning to returnal, maybe i just have big impossible expectations, i was expecting a 3d revolution and instead i have something comparable to a cheap 5.1 home theater, people on pc use directional audio in competitive fps since ever, i was just expecting far bigger difference, or maybe the platinum headset are trash, who knows...

FrankWza

fair enough. all these hassle is feasible on pc. there lot more work on consoles. not to mention now still very early of generation. even ps4 tooks some time before properly supported usb headphone. i used to plug in hyperx cloud 2 on ps4.

but using something in range of 20-70 ohm should be easier to drive right? no need amp or whatever stuff. just plug in. some of audiophile grade is in that range.
Based on power, yes, it will play. But it won’t necessarily sound great. It’s about getting the most out of the headphones and just barely driving them doesn’t achieve that. You won’t get that out of the dualsense for most headphones. Like X2hr sound ok but not even close to how full they sound when amped properly. And they’re not exactly power hungry. That’s probably why you’ll hear people say headphones connected to dualsense sound muffled.
Whatever headset you go with, make sure it’s USB.
Right now, usb dongle with a wireless headset will give you a better overall sound than anything connected to USB wired. The power out of the PS5 port is too low. Especially older model headsets. Maybe if it has a separate power box it may sound better. Wireless headsets have their own power and are just transmitting the connection and mic capabilities through usb dongle. With a wired usb headset, the PS5 is pushing out power to drive, plus mic capabilities and sound processing. It’s too much and sounds muffled overall. Same with most connected to dualsense.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Right now, usb dongle with a wireless headset will give you a better overall sound than anything connected to USB wired. The power out of the PS5 port is too low. Especially older model headsets. Maybe if it has a separate power box it may sound better. Wireless headsets have their own power and are just transmitting the connection and mic capabilities through usb dongle. With a wired usb headset, the PS5 is pushing out power to drive, plus mic capabilities and sound processing. It’s too much and sounds muffled overall. Same with most connected to dualsense.

That's what I meant, USB dongle. I didn't even know you could connect it via USB wire lol

If anybody wants to put a game on the epic store there’s a fee. Now maybe epic is playing good guy buy having lower fees but they are still making billions off it.

Fortnite is something nobody would of guessed it growing like it did.i get that they want more money from it while its still got a huge user base but they were happy when they wanted to grow it on apples store

At least for single player or gaming sessions without party chat, you can adjust the volume of chat vs game audio. The buttons are on the headset. If you raise the game audio all the way, it will sound quite louder. With that setting I can't raise the general volume beyond the 50% mark without it getting uncomfortable loud at times.

Last edited:

decisions

Hey guys, I am currently using a pair of Gen 1 Astro A50s with my PS5 from like 2013. Why use such an old headset? Because the A50s can support input from multiple devices with the MixAmp. So, I use an HDMi audio extractor to get use the optical port on the MixAmp to get PS5 audio, and the USB charging cable gives me audio from my Mac (mainly used for Discord).

Despite the usefulness of this feature, the Astro A50s are outdated, clunky, uncomfortable after long sessions, and don't support 3D audio, so I want to upgrade, but I don't want to lose the feature of receiving audio from multiple devices. Is there any headset that can do this? Or perhaps some kind of mixing device I can purchase to make this work with any headset?

If there is nothing like the MixAmp on the market, should I just upgrade to the newest generation of the A50s? Thanks.

Shifty1897

I did a lot of research into this last year and ended up getting the Arctis 7. Wireless headsets are one of those things you should either splurge on or not get at all.

Works on my PS5 and PC great, highly recommended.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The best one is the 7X/P.
But I can recommend the Pulse 3D that is pretty close.
I've tried the steelseries pro wireless (much more expensive than pulse 3d) and be wary people - it was VERY SMALL. Fully extended, it was touching the bottom of my ears ad generally it was not comfortable and the sound was ... dry.
I thinkg steelseries is overrated

Warablo

Philips 9500 or 9500S with a mod mic. Even better if can get a Astro mix amp or another dac/amp too.

Last edited:

nekrik

Quite frankly for the asked price the pulse 3D are ok. Sound quality and especially 3D sound are nice imho. Build quality is so so and design is meh.

Philips 9500 or 9500S with a mod mic. Even better if can get a Astro mix amp or another dac/amp too.

Well said. Awesome combo and the sound and mic quality shits on the gaming headsets.

Top Bottom