• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best JRPG of 2022 (without counting Elden Ring)

Choose carefully votes can't be changed

• Total voters

KàIRóS

Ok first of all, why no Elden Ring? well I think it's pretty obvious, the vast majority would choose it and it would be very unfair for every other JRPG released this year, so yes we all know it's the best one but which one is in second place?

I'm going with Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin, it's a Final Fantasy game by Team Ninja for crying out loud! (Ninja Gaiden/Nioh) why is it not more popular?

Anyway I think many players are still sleeping on this game, it was massively overshadowed back in march by Elden Ring and only a few gave it a chance, it has however received a lot of support through the year with DLC, I just finished the last one this week and it's actually meaningful DLC that changes gameplay mechanics, it's unlike any other Soulslike thanks to the implementation of the classic FF Job System and Diablo-like lootdrops that make for a very fun Gameplay loop, the Story is corny and not serious but it's clearly meant to be that way, it may not be for everyone but I had fun watching all the fourth wall breaking jokes.

My runner up would be Xenoblade Chronicles 3, I like both games for the exact same reason, both have really deep Class/Job Systems but FFO wins thanks to it's Co-Op multiplayer, I would say it's the most fun I've had with a multiplayer game this year, even more than Elden Ring.

55ojR0V.jpg

anthony2690

Banned
Diofield Chronicles.

Can you add an option to change vote though?

I want to smack other now.

Other being:
Elden Ring

Last edited:

EDMIX

Triangle Strategy has the worst voicework I've heard in over a decade. So not that one.

is it really that bad? This is like the 4th time I've read someone say this. On PSN in a group I'm in, someone stated this about that game lol

Mozzarella

I only played Xenoblade Chronicles and "tried Valkyrie Elysium and dropped it (boring game)

So Xenoblade Chronicles 3 gets my vote lol.
Even though i disagree with its big praise i still had a good time with it, its a decent game. I just didnt enjoy the beloved Chapter 5 and 6,7.
Chapter 5 felt to me like a chapter of messy writing its just so contrived, and the start was slow and boring and got me some hours to invest in the characters and the story so that i started to care.
Gameplay also was decent but has its set of flaws, anyway i dont want to critique the game.
I liked it overall, so yeah it gets my vote.

Now i will get Tactics Ogre: Reborn.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Persona 5 Royal on the Switch.

It's a nice and comfy timesink with interesting aesthetics and adequate combat system. I love all the little tidbits one can learn just playing the game and the Jungian theme is just swell.

The combat could be somewhat more strategic, but I like the inclusion of the negotiation with the enemy personas. I also miss the more personal storyline of Persona 4, but I still have a long way to go with this game so I might end up liking this as much as the previous game in the series.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
For me it’s Star Ocean and Stranger of Paradise.

Xenoblade is getting a lot of love but IDK. I played 30 hours and so much of it felt slow and depressing. Might go back to it at some point.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Voted for Live A Live. The remake is great and the game is kino, even if I have yet to finish it.

Haven't played much else from the list. SoP is very good too tho.

Xeaker

Have not played Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin and Soul Hacker 2 yet, but from these average list of JRPGs I pick Pokemon Arceus as "best"

tommib

Why? I don't understand Japanese. I might as well mute the game and listen to music if I'm just going to switch to a language so foreign to me that I wouldn't be able to appreciate or distinguish good acting from bad anyway.
I think people suggest that because the VA then comes off as neutral and doesn’t bother the player - while still adding some weight to the dialogue. It also helps with immersion, of course. Can’t imagine playing Yakuza with English dubbing.

Last edited:

Fbh

Haven't played XBC3 but Triangle Strategy was fantastic.
Great gameplay and great story

Fuz

Banned
If we considere Tactics Ogre "2022", I vote for Tactics Ogre. Do we consider it as a JRPG? I'm not sure it applies.

Also, Elden Ring is not a JRPG.

I haven't played all of these but I'm going with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 as the only one that really grabbed me. Had a pretty good time with it, didn't finish though as it started dragging.

Good poll. Will not be voting for anything since I haven't played any of these games but am curious who will win! Was xenoblade 3 a great game?

Same ol G

I vote Xenoblade 3, since when is elden ring a jrpg?
More like a action game to me, when i play jrpg's that's definitely not the gameplay i expect or wanna play.

KàIRóS

I vote Xenoblade 3, since when is elden ring a jrpg?
More like a action game to me, when i play jrpg's that's definitely not the gameplay i expect or wanna play.

This time I went with the literal definition of JRPG as in Japanese Role Playing Game, I know many don't consider Souls games as JRPGs but you get the idea.

Top Bottom