• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best new character in 2007?

WinFonda

Anth said:
Help me, I'm curious: What's so great about Drake? I only played parts of Uncharted and saw some videos, to me he looks awfully generic.

Is he "great" in the same vein as a character like the Master Chief or the lead of a good actions movie? I.e. incredibly generic, but cool and badass?
He's a well acted, well written character with loads of personality. He is like the lead of a good action movie, but that does not make him generic or comparable to Master Chief in any way.

Alex P said:
bioshock_56_001.sized.jpg

Sander Cohen is win.

I still love his bunny poem.

GCQuinton

MrCompletely said:
not to derail the thread, but is Andrew Ryan *really* a villain? I always struggled with that notion. I think he was just a character with really strong ideals and laurels, he lost way (and his mind), but I think he was never truly a villain.

That's why I added the
??... it's open for interpretation.

Borys

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
He would be the character from NeoGAF. Which reminds me, we need a "thread of the year" vote like we had last year. There were some doozies.

I cannot get over the fact that you changed your avatar. You were always the "Master Chief/ Peanut Butter Jelly Time" poster for me and now it is something totally different, arghhh, I have to double take who made that post.

Uncle AJ

Everyone in Team Fortress 2.

Soldier: "If God had wanted you to live, he would not have created ME!!!"
Medic: "Would you like a second opinion? You are also UGLY!"
Demoman: "I'm drunk! You don't have an excuse!"
Scout: "Hey, a lotta good that gun did ya!"
Heavy: "You are sooooooo small. Is funny to me!"
Spy: "I do believe I am on fire."
Pyro: "MPHMPHMPH!" <--- maniacal laughter
Sniper: "Thanks for standin' still, wankah!"
Engineer: "I told ya don't touch that darn thing."

Honarable Mention: Wrex from Mass Effect.

"I could use a snack!"
"If we die down here, I'll kill him!"

GhaleonEB

speculawyer said:
Sander Cohen is win.

I still love his bunny poem.
I forgot all about that one. That's the "I want to take the ears off, but I can't!" tape, isn't it? That freaked me out all night. :lol

GhaleonEB

Borys said:
I cannot get over the fact that you changed your avatar. You were always the "Master Chief/ Peanut Butter Jelly Time" poster for me and now it is something totally different, arghhh, I have to double take who made that post.
I might be changing it again, soon. I thought I'd match my avatar to my handle for a while (which is how I used to roll way back in the day). I have it picked out, but I like Lucia too much right now.

Tieno

GhaleonEB said:
I might be changing it again, soon. I thought I'd match my avatar to my handle for a while (which is how I used to roll way back in the day). I have it picked out, but I like Lucia too much right now.
Can I suggest this one?
8er86sm.jpg

or this
bart-depauw-als-plop.jpg

Alex P

jetjevons said:
Interesting that everyone picks Sander Cohen. I was really wrapped up in Dr. Suchong in Bioshock.

Suchong was an awesome character as well, especially with regards to
his demise.

But Cohen struck me as much more of a developed character, plus his
grand appearance was fucking spectacular, as was all of Fort Frolic, and the dancers sequence in his apartment and upstairs quarters.

PacoDG

I would be more than happy to throw my vote to GLaDOS.

I just would like to mention the worst character, any of the ones from Lost Planet. I love that game, but damn if it lacked complete heart. A guy and his dad are separated (one killed possibly, I forget), and I could care less about any of them. Also there was a white dude with dreads as part of the crew.

Doytch

Have to agree with Gann. His dialogue was bloody awesome. But I don't agree with Kaelyn. I played through in a greyish manner and she got on my nerves. Actually, I'm looking back at it now and wondering whether that was supposed to be what she was made for. If so, agreed. If not, disagree. :lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Godot by a mile.

GS-godo-shakes-head.gif

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee"

Kyle Hyde gets honourable mention.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
^^ Yeah all the characters for Team Fortress 2 are bad ass I love the Pyro the most don't know what he is saying but its badass!

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I love when the TF2 medic yells "oktoberfest!!!!"

Nolan.

Mindlog said:
really? reALLY?

I'm voting for a third party candidate!

Hrm.

I vote the final skateboard in Skate.

Well no offense there are more interesting characters in Uncharted before Drake himself. Same for Heavenly sword before Nariko. As for me I liked the main characters in Folklore, Keats and Helen should get their own game or something if a sequel doesn't happen.

Wollan

After seeing Will Smith in I Am Legend and Heath Ledger as the Joker it puts some stuff in perspective (though when it comes to movies I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton that wasn't recent).

There is no doubt though that Nariko & Kay in Heavenly Sword are the most realistic game characters ever made.

However, when it comes to story ark and such..etc this year... it's been somewhat lacking. Many games focus on your actions instead of building specific characters.

I loved the Aperture Science A.I in P0rtal.
Nathan Drake & Elena Fischer are very likable.
Nariko & Kay (and most of the HS cast) is incredibly well done ecspecially from a videogame perspective.
BioShock... the game itself is oozing character, it has a ton of interesting characters and a smart plot but you never get to see a larger ark for someone specific (except your own face/emotions I guess).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thread should be about the best and the worst.

But yeah:

6q915xs.jpg

Spoiler, but she deserves a big pic. Those who don't know her won't recognize anyway. And it's not like the memes haven't spoiled the entire game for everyone already.

Also, the USA DQM:J commercial version of Tap Devil!!!

7wehp2d.jpg

Anth

Alaluef said:
Thread should be about the best and the worst.
I'd argue that most gaming characters are still so ridiculosly horrible that it is impossible to determine the worst of the bunch.

Nolan.

Yeah I definately agree with Kai from Heavenly Sword also, I think whats even more amazing is I liked her both before and after her change.

BeeDog

I thought Drake was the most well-realized character in a game this year. He cracks one-liners that are funny (imo), and they are timed very well too. Also, great way of conveying emotions using somewhat exaggerated facial expressions.

The worst character has to be Sgt. Griggs in Call Of Duty 4. Great game, but probably the worst stereotype I've seen in a game all year.
Thank God he gets owned by the end.

Salazar

Hope 08 brings a good mixture of awesome new characters and equally awesome character creation tools. Both are getting better (I think), but the potential is so mouthwatering.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
BeeDog said:
The worst character has to be Sgt. Griggs in Call Of Duty 4. Great game, but probably the worst stereotype I've seen in a game all year.
Thank God he gets owned by the end.

Shit dog, that's whack.

Top Bottom