• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best new character in 2007?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Am I the only person on GAF that thinks Altair's character wasn't that great?
His voice acting just completely ruined it for me; fucking horrendous.

Raytow

Nathan, Geralt, and female Shepard, specially playing as renegade she sounds like a female version of Jack Bauer :lol

Elbrain said:
:lol Oh well someone was bound to do it. BTW does that foo still have his job?

yeah obviously which bitch contributes to society more than him.

OMG! We need to have "Videogame Character That Contributed To Society 2007" thread (I'd pick Altair he fucking saved the holy land).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kaako said:
I haven't met the guy yet, I'm waiting for the PC version. I think he has an overall cool appearance.

But it all came apart when I noticed his suave mustache. Seriously what the fuck is that shit? I hate this thing so much in real life that I simply can't bear a serious character having that.

A full grown beard with a mustache is okay, full grown mustaches only are a bit silly already in my humble opinion, but THIS...

6suqwih.png

8g6vu48.jpg

7x1v31z.png

:(

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I hate it.

...is that in the final game? Tell me it isn't.

Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot Godot

GLaDOS is a close second.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Alaluef said:
I haven't met the guy yet, I'm waiting for the PC version. I think he has an overall cool appearance.

But it all came apart when I noticed his suave mustache. Seriously what the fuck is that shit? I hate this thing so much in real life that I simply can't bear a serious character having that.

A full grown beard with a mustache is okay, full grown mustaches only are a bit silly already in my humble opinion, but THIS...

*pics*

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I hate it.

...is that in the final game? Tell me it isn't.
Don't get me wrong, appearance wise Altair looks absolutely badass...but that badass image kinda shatters when he opens his goddamn mouth and you hear his accent.
Regarding the mustache, it didn't really bother me and I think that it was in the final game, but you hardly see his face underneath his hood. I'm still not sure how much of the mustache was in the final game though. lol

WinFonda

Kaako said:
Oh, no. I agree completely. His voice acting was terrible. It almost seems like they intentionally did it that way since all the other voices are actually good. But yeah, totally kills the character.

Concept17

Kaako said:
Don't get me wrong, appearance wise Altair looks absolutely badass...but that badass image kinda shatters when he opens his goddamn mouth and you hear his accent.
Regarding the mustache, it didn't really bother me and I think that it was in the final game, but you hardly see his face underneath his hood. I'm still not sure how much of the mustache was in the final game though. lol

His voice was great, dunno what you're smokin.

b.e.r.g

Chinner said:
Kyle Hyde from Hotel Dusk.
kyle2.gif
I gotta give my vote here aswell... for a man of few words, for a game like this atleast, he builds a pretty cool character.

And ofcourse, GLaDOS =) I think most gamers where suprised on how characteristic game that had no characters could be!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Balthier

and

Andrew Ryan

and

Travis Touchdown

I'll take the computer from Portal too, but not that stupid puzzle block that forum kids jerk off to for one asinine reason or another

MMaRsu said:

Uncharted and AC get my votes. When I started reading what the ending to AC was about I started getting excited for the sequel.
I think the other two games are going to take place in other periods of time.

Kaako said:

Yes his voice acting sucked but the game is still fun to play. I have faith in the sequels.

Tieno said:
GLaDOS
Andrew Ryan
Sander Cohen
6k6jtkx.jpg
My three choices, as well. Plus Wrex.

Why are so many people voting for Altair? His shoddy voice acting pretty much ruined his character for me. Assassin's Creed, in general, had some of the worst voice acting I heard this year.

Rayme

BeeDog said:
The worst character has to be Sgt. Griggs in Call Of Duty 4. Great game, but probably the worst stereotype I've seen in a game all year.
Irony being that he's based on, physically modeled after, and voiced by a single actual person. =)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Concept17 said:
His voice was great, dunno what you're smokin.
I don't smoke. Perhaps I was sippin' on that Crunk Juice too much?

PIMPBYBLUD said:
Yes his voice acting sucked but the game is still fun to play. I have faith in the sequels.
I cannot wait for the sequel. The story line got REALLY interesting in the end and that kind of stuff is right up my alley.
I actually think that I'm more hyped for the sequel, because the first one didn't live up to the hype for me personally.

ArtG

Andrew Ryan
Sander Cohen
Kai
Nariko
Kyle Hyde
Geralt (Haven't finished The Witcher, about 10-15 hours into it, but I love the character. The townsfolk in both the Outskirts and Vizima have been interesting as well, which is always nice. Have became attached to the world.
I even like the old hag that gives you a bunch of shit to be able to see Shani in Vizima
)

There are probably other's I'm forgetting, but oh well. These are the ones that stand out. :)

Synless

~Devil Trigger~ said:
0009.jpg

Such a complex character...
Where the hell can I find this guy?? I've beaten this game twice and never seen him. Is this why I can't get that damn "everybody dance now" skill point?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
GLaDOS
Everyone in TF2.
Sander Cohen, Atlas, and Andrew Ryan.

Honorary mentions: Linebeck, much of Zack & Wiki's cast, Companion Cube and Gnome, Rosalina (not for her character per se, but for having the audacity to bring such a depressingly emotional backstory into one of the happiest far-out Mario games ever), and Dr. Suchong.

I'm sure I've forgotten some, but oh well.

AKS

I loved Kai, Nariko, and Flying Fox from Heavenly Sword and Nathan Drake and cheeky Elana from Uncharted, but my top pick is GLaDOS from Portal.

PS: I also thought Wrex from Mass Effect was hilarious but the characters weren't developed enough to make it into my list of favorites.

Mr Jared

mass-effect-20070711064849487-000.jpg

"If we all die here, I'm going to kill you."

Heck, I'd kill someone just for a Wrex plushie. You could pull his string and he'd say stuff like, "Your ignorance doesn't offend me" and of course, "Shepard."

Yoboman

Nolan. said:
Well no offense there are more interesting characters in Uncharted before Drake himself. Same for Heavenly sword before Nariko. As for me I liked the main characters in Folklore, Keats and Helen should get their own game or something if a sequel doesn't happen.
The reason Drake is great is:

A) Because he's realistic, clumsy and funny at the best of times. He isn't like any other main character in games

and more importantly:

B) The way he moves, is constantly commenting and so forth just makes him feel so alive. It's an aspect of characterisation few games achieve

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Definitely Linebeck:

1131749-1193447777-lineback100.gif

For cuteness, the Lumas and the Weighted Companion Cube deserve a nod.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
magnusson was great but not given enough "screen time" to really warrant a mention. i imagine we'll see much more of him in episode 3, however, and i fully expect shenanigans to ensue

SPEA

Wrex: Easily my favortie charecter in ME. Really well voiced. Great dialogue. Awesome dude.

Sander Cohen: Just amazing. If you've played the game you know it to be true as well. The Wild Bunny. Seriously, how awesome is that.

beelzebozo said:
magnusson was great but not given enough "screen time" to really warrant a mention. i imagine we'll see much more of him in episode 3, however, and i fully expect shenanigans to ensue

Magnusson + Portal Gun + Wacky plan = Best game ever

I give my vote to the guy sitting in the missile base with the soldiers.

Rebel: So, ever used an AR-2 before?
Citizen: AR-2... no, but an AR-3, sure, plenty of times.
Rebel: There's no such thing as an AR-3.
Citizen: Well, you see, the city was lousy with AR-3s.
Rebel: No it wasn't, do you know what the secondary fire on the AR-2 does? It kills hunters, how did you city folk kill hunters?
Citizen: Well we sure as heck didn't use guns, we would wrestle hunters to the ground with our bare hands! I would get ten, twenty a day, just using my fists.
Rebel: So when you're out in the field you're going to be punching hunters?
Citizen: Out in the field? I'm not going out in the field, I'm a radio operator!
Rebel: Leave, you don't need to be here, and I'm not going to continue the lesson until you leave.

Top Bottom