• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best new character in 2007?

Kittonwy

Banned
WinFonda said:
Nathan Drake / Uncharted

Ditto.
Indifferent2.gif

dslgunstar said:
Altair's voice acting fit perfectly. Accessing a person's memories doesnt mean accessing their vocal chords.
No, it really didn't. Just because he had a slight, faked accent doesn't make it good. Altair's voice work was dull, boring, monotonous, and uninspired. In fact, I think the voice acting, in my opinion, was the worst part of the game- even above its numerous other flaws.

Unless, by "fit perfectly," you mean went along with all of the other lackluster voice acting in the game?

Mashing

No question for me. It's gotta be Wrex.
When he just pulls out a shotgun and kills Fist as you're speaking to him
is just classic.

UncleGuito said:
No, it really didn't. Just because he had a slight, faked accent doesn't make it good. Altair's voice work was dull, boring, monotonous, and uninspired. In fact, I think the voice acting, in my opinion, was the worst part of the game- even above its numerous other flaws.

Unless, by "fit perfectly," you mean went along with all of the other lackluster voice acting in the game?

The accent was slight because Desmond, the person living through Altair's memories, is an American, or at the very least a Westerner. He has a middle-eastern bloodline, obviously, but there are many people of middle-eastern descent living in the western world that have little to no accent. His delivery, which you call boring and monotonous, is better described as detached. The speech is being delivered through him via the Animus (which is also translating the languages into a more modern/understandable dialect), but he has no attachment to the world or the events surrounding him, so there's no passion in his words. He's merely going through the motions.

It's no coincidence that the voice acting his better and more charged when the scenes take place between Desmond and Lucy outside the Animus.

If you hated the voice acting, so be it, I thought it fit the game rather well, and certainly didnt take anything away from the experience. Definitely one of my favorite games of the year.

Brashnir

I'll break it down by category and choose two for each since I'm a wishy-washy pansy.

Best new Main Characters - Drake and Altair
Best new Villains - Dahlia and Sovereign
Best new Sidekick/Companions - Wrex and Elena
Best new Supporting NPCs - Capt. Anderson and Victor Kudo

commissar

Nathan Drake and Elena get my number one vote, with a close second to GlaDOS.

Am I the only one here who hates the Heavenly Sword characters? They seem terribly over-acted. I find Kai especially disappointing as she's a Gollum clone >:|

Tailzo

Nathan Drake from uncharted, along with Sully. I really liked the characters in that game. Kyle Hyde from Hotel Dusk was an interesting character too.

deepbrown

Tisan said:
Nathan Drake and Elena get my number one vote, with a close second to GlaDOS.

Am I the only one here who hates the Heavenly Sword characters? They seem terribly over-acted. I find Kai especially disappointing as she's a Gollum clone >:|
*lame*

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Matt_09 said:
How can you guys choose Altiar? His character has some of the worse voice acting I have ever heard in a game.
I think it's just because he looks awesome and he assassinates people. Other than that.. I don't get it either.

Anth

To me, the Heavenly Sword characters are still in Uncanny valley. I recognize that their animations are technically among the best we have seen, but they look more artificial and plain odd to me than simpler characters.
Well it works for the villians, especially Flying Fox. Not as well written as GLaDOS of course, but technically, he was great.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I love Bioshock, don't get me wrong, but can someone go deeper to explain what's with the Cohen infatuation? He's crazy and surely has his moments, but I think he's far from best character of the entire year. He didn't do much besides sending you on fetch quests as far as I remember. The part where he appears and the ones where he talks about his "art" are fun, but I want to understand.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
My 2 answers

Orobi said:

&

Borys said:
Nathan Drake.

pose-nathan-drake.png

Nariko was one of the strongest female characters this year. She deserves to be on this list.

Nathan Drake because out of the space marines this year, his character is a breathe of fresh air and he is very likable character.

Honorable mention is Talwyn.

Talwyn_Front.jpg

She has a lot of spunk, I hope to see her in the next Ratchet adventure.

dslgunstar said:
The accent was slight because Desmond, the person living through Altair's memories, is an American, or at the very least a Westerner. He has a middle-eastern bloodline, obviously, but there are many people of middle-eastern descent living in the western world that have little to no accent. His delivery, which you call boring and monotonous, is better described as detached. The speech is being delivered through him via the Animus (which is also translating the languages into a more modern/understandable dialect), but he has no attachment to the world or the events surrounding him, so there's no passion in his words. He's merely going through the motions.

It's no coincidence that the voice acting his better and more charged when the scenes take place between Desmond and Lucy outside the Animus.

Actually, there are two different actors playing Altair and Desmond Miles. In fact, the guy who plays Desmond is the same guy who plays Nathan Drake...

Nice job rationalizing Altair's lousy voice work, but I don't buy it. If making the main character's voice flat and monotone was a conscious choice, that makes it even worse in my mind.

Jirotrom

dslgunstar said:
Altair's voice acting fit perfectly. Accessing a person's memories doesnt mean accessing their vocal chords.
no it didn't...considering that everyone else had an accent, and then i was going to give it the benefit of the doubt but Desmonds voice actor was not the same with Altair's. If your point stands they shouldn't have even added different accents to the other characters.

Lemming_JRS said:
Actually, there are two different actors playing Altair and Desmond Miles. In fact, the guy who plays Desmond is the same guy who plays Nathan Drake...

Nice job rationalizing Altair's lousy voice work, but I don't buy it. If making the main character's voice flat and monotone was a conscious choice, that makes it even worse in my mind.
:lol :lol didn't read this first.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sander cohen has at least two sequences in bioshock that make him a very serious contender. thinking specifically of
when you witness his first attempt at creating art in the auditorium, when the gentleman playing the piano is burned to death, and the march down the stairs after the art piece is finished.

if you see those scenes, listen to the writing, the voice performance, and don't understand how he is a very viable candidate for new character of the year, i don't get you, buster.

Screw justifying it, Altair sounded like a badass and anyone who disagrees only does so because they don't want to admit to themselves that their pussies shivered in resonance with his brooding voice.

Fuu

RichardAM said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/fifty7/Episode2-huntercloseup.jpg

Or failing that, best new enemy.
From what game is that one? Nice futuristic design against the rural background.

I didnt know that Altair and Desmond were two different actors, nice find. That said, I definitely think it was a conscious decision, as it just fits too well within the context of the storyline.

In any case, if Altair is still the most badass new character of the year, and he would be even if he were mute. His movements, abilities, and actions throughout the game are just too cool (and cool-looking).

beelzebozo said:
sander cohen has at least two sequences in bioshock that make him a very serious contender. thinking specifically of
when you witness his first attempt at creating art in the auditorium, when the gentleman playing the piano is burned to death, and the march down the stairs after the art piece is finished.

if you see those scenes, listen to the writing, the voice performance, and don't understand how he is a very viable candidate for new character of the year, i don't get you, buster.
Plus this, which I'm sure has been posted many a time, but deserves more recognition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA0EVcrq71o

Sander Cohen isn't a major character by any means, but he affected me, as the player, more than most main characters did this year (as did many others in Bioshock).

blackadde

GLaDOS for being such a believable character without resorting to any recognizable form, and Sander Cohen for being such a creepy fuck.

Fuu

Metalmurphy said:
oO Shame on you!

It's HL2 Ep2
:lol

I've been delaying a play of HL1 and 2 for quite some time now... Portal surely has piqued my interest in that universe and I'll remedy that ASAP.

Top Bottom