• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best "one and done" game ever made?

Mista

Banned
6131CQFK05L._SY300_.jpg

Kalkano

Banned
I think I have to go with The Last Remnant. On 360, it was terrible (performance issues, that made it hard to really enjoy the game). But, I've only played it on PC, and just recently. It immediately became one of my favorite games of all time. I have an actual living list, and I put it at 12th (slightly higher than Chrono Trigger).

Edit: Does this not meet the requirements, because it was ported to PC?

Faerith

Neo Member
Wow, this is quite difficult (omg, Battle of Olympus had a GB version ?!)- esp. with the DD clause- and they have to be good/best too...

PC
Albion - PC-RPG, that still isn't on gog but supposedly is really gud ;_;
(Planet's Edge 'though it's also on FM Town the japanese PC, dunno if that dis-counts... ?)
NES:
Kickle Cubicle - the best iceblock pushing puzzlegame
Kabuki Quantum Fighter - the best hairy weapon game (I know of) I could never beat
snes:
Brainlord - if Lufia were an Single-Party with Faery Action-RPG
Young Merlin - Walk 'n Click game with absolutely no text and adorable little enemycritters
King Arthurs World - best Ride of the Valkyrie... I mean... the game is fun
Mega Drive:
Warriors of the Eternal Sun - clumsy, difficult (insanly around the end) but interesting RPG that never got it's announced sequel
and since there cannot be a best RPG it deserves a mention

*staring at own gamelist* obscure japanese games
saturn: Wachenröder (nice Tactics-Variant with overheating weapons)
no idea about the quality, since I haven't played them very much:
Neo Metal Fantasy (PCE), Dragon Knight Glorious, Oni Zero, Mystic Dragoon (PS1), Terra Phantastica (Saturn)

Bahamut Lagoon
Virtual Console (JP)

Journey for me. I bought and finished it when it came out, have never replayed it or touched it since, but still extremely satisfied with the money spent and the experience had.

One and done.

Actually I forgot about Eternal Darkness! Sorry, I change my answer to this. Even though I have replayed it a couple of times, it fits well with the OP's criteria. So Eternal Darkness for me.

Warriors is also a good choice from an earlier poster.

Phediuk

I believe Heavy Rain is the top-selling game listed so far. Only Heavenly Sword and Demon's Souls would even come close.

Also, the list is missing Red Zone and Alisia Dragoon for the Genesis.

Porcile

You should really all do yourselves a favour and look at the wikipedia page of the game you're about to post.

OP, you have Illusion of Gaia and Terrenigma listed, but both of those are part of the same series, which started with Soul Blazer.

Doesn't Madworld continue with Anarchy Reigns? Most of the latter's cast is from the former. Including main characters.

The first game published by Ubisoft was called Zombi. I don't think they ever brought it up with Zombi U. It had 4 characters and when one died they would become a zombie you could fight. Just like in Zombi U.

Opoona (Wii)

How could I forget. These was such an amazing game. Every dome had its own art movement and TV stations.

Based on a movie

And on PSP.

Phediuk

Doesn't Madworld continue with Anarchy Reigns? Most of the latter's cast is from the former. Including main characters.

whoops. Nice catch; removed it from the list.

The first game published by Ubisoft was called Zombi. I don't think they ever brought it up with Zombi U. It had 4 characters and when one died they would become a zombie you could fight. Just like in Zombi U.

I believe the devs said that the similarity to Zombi was a coincidence.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.zee-3.com/pickfordbros/games/covers/us_tinstar.jpg[/IMG]

This one never got a release on any other consoles.
Code:
[IMG]http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/scans4/bladeforce.jpg[/IMG]

Also Bladeforce. One of the few "decent" 3D shooters on the system.

Kabuki Quantum Fighter
Ristar
High Seas Havoc
Alien Soldier
ESWAT: City under Siege
Pulseman
Hagane: The Final Conflict
Metal Warriors
Astal
Silent Bomber
Einhänder
Ninja Five-O
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Gunvalkyrie
Super Princess Peach
Zack and Wiki

Ristar has a GameGear port and has been released on multiple compilations. ESWAT, Pulsman and Alien Soldier were also released on VC and in other collections.

Ok so re-releases count as sequels?

No. OP is only looking for games that have been released on one platform and nothing else.

Deadly Premonition
Ikaruga
Art Style: PictoBits/PictoPict (DSiWare)
Skitchin' (Genesis/Mega Drive)

As for the best one and done game, the best I ever played was Ghost Trick.

EDIT: Guess I didn't read the OP fully. I'll add Soul Bubbles (Nintendo DS), Omega Five (XBLA), and Shadow Complex (XBLA).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
us_tinstar.jpg

I'd love for this guy to make a return, such a cool looking game even though I never played it, but I don't even think Nintendo owns him and the company that made it went under, I think. Doesn't appear on the Chronicle in Smash Brothers Brawl, I don't think the official Nintendo site acknowledges it, etc. Hell, I bet the character is floating around unused and purchasable...

Jumping Flash? Porsche Challenge (The SCE one, not the EA NFS one)? Einhander???

There's a Jumping Flash 2!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
r3nUWC3.jpg

Only counts in the U.S., where it was never re-released. Japan got it ('Knight and Baby', as it's called) on the PSN, but "Guardian's Crusade" technically was never re-released!

Belldandy

Banned
PENGUIN LAND

That game was such a good puzzle game... and its gameplay concept has yet to be reproduced as far as I can see. Maybe Billy Hatcher, but not really.

Top Bottom