• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best "one and done" game ever made?

jholmes

Wasn't sure how many good games would qualify but I love like a half-dozen games on the first page list.

How about Cubivore? Or EVO Search for Eden, for that matter?

NeoFaff

This is hard. I can think of some dead IPs with 1 game but they've all been rereleased in some form.

Too Human and Lost Odyssey have already been mentioned. Sudokumaniacs DS would count if it wasn't shovelware I suppose.

dcx4610

Project Breakdown on the Xbox really stands out to me.

Really good production values and the story felt complex and a mix of Metal Gear and Half Life. It was one of the first games that actually did first person correctly where you can look at your body and feet and a big focus was on punching rather than guns.

The last boss battle was epic and the game ended with a real song by the band Trust Company which was also fairly rare back then.

It's hard to find many videos on it and it's rare to see it mentioned these days. Great game.

FreedomFighters_PS2_Jaquette001.jpg

:(

NeoFaff

Thought of two - Monster Tale (DS) and Henry Hatworth (DS)! Haven't played either but they reviewed well.

I remember reading some article about a good DS platformer failing because of piracy. Spent the last hour searching for Henry Hatworth :l

EBreda

Enthusia professional ta no was awesome back in the day.
Hard to think Konami invested so much in the game (licensed cars and tracks, visual style almost identical to Gran Turismo) to never touch it again.

I already said Astal, and I'll add:
Enemy Zero (Saturn) : adventure where you had to find enemies using sound cues. Really creepy.

Mr. Bones (Saturn) : wonderful quirky game.

monlo

A large percentage of the Dreamcast library is like this, e.g. Super Magnetic Neo, Maken X, Elemental Gimmick Gear. You have the weird games like Mister Mosquito and Incredible Crisis on ps2 and psx respectively. Adding Silent Bomber.

more:

boxcovera.jpg

covera.jpg
(Shinrei Jusatsushi Tarōmaru)

edit: derp, blood will tell is based on a manga

LoiHmVRm.jpg

5zkGYSd.jpg

41jSA-Da7UL.jpg
(predecessor to the shadow hearts series so maybe qualifies?)

kpb6UBZ.jpg

254px-Elemental_Gearbolt.jpg

Zakard

Is Catherine a valid answer?

Edit: Totally forgot about an Xbox-Version. I always associate PlayStation with Atlus. Sorry for my mistake.

So many people in this thread getting schooled on their gaming history.

Here's a legit answer though:

Elemental Master (Sega Genesis/Megadrive)

elemental-master-gen-cover-full-30194.jpg

elemental_master.gif
935.gif

Tecnosoft was about dat life.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If we don't count the borderline ones*, I think Eternal Darkness is by far the best game on that list right now.

* Any "best of" list with Demon's Souls eligible is inherently unfair ;)

Astal (Sega Saturn). Awesome plataformer, great music and art style.
Oh good one. Also I remembered Wachenröder but it seems someone else caught it before me.

How about
- Kenseiden (Sega Master System)
- Psycho Fox (Sega Master System)
- Lady Sia (Gameboy Advance)
- EVO (SNES)
- FEDA (Super Famicom)
- Hagane (SNES)
- Musya (SNES)
- Alisia Dragoon (Sega Genesis)
- Mystic Defender (Sega Genesis)
- Blades of Vengeance (Sega Genesis)
- Traysia (Sega Genesis)

Other than Traysia, they're all pretty solid (or at least decent) games too! I almost listed Target Earth but apparently it came out for the Virtual Console... in Japan only. :(

Panzer Dragoon Saga

And I want a remake soooooo bad
I do too, but it's obviously part of a franchise... -_-

OP, you have Illusion of Gaia and Terrenigma listed, but both of those are part of the same series, which started with Soul Blazer.

The games aren't directly related. Totally different world and mythology between all three, as well as actraiser 1 and 2 by the same team.

There are some minor references and in jokes for fans, but they aren't sequels.

Enemy Zero is the sequel to D.

Not really. D2 on the Dreamcast was the sequel to D. Enemy Zero uses Laura again as the main protagonist, but Kenji Eno treated Laura like a "digital actress". Even though she was the same model, she is not the same character and the game and story is unrelated to the D series. It is really hard to classify E0 as a sequel or a spinoff.

Jimrpg

Super Airwolf (Mega Drive / Genesis) was a pretty rad game. solid shoot them up and top down shooter mechanics. Difficult but not overly so.

Transport Tycoon had the Deluxe version which I enjoyed hugely but man that's probably my number 1 game I'd like to see a proper sequel for. I don't really count the iOS/android versions. I still need to get around to playing Chris Sawyer's Locomotion.

Theme Park deserves a sequel too. Theme Hospital does not count as a sequel to Theme Park!

Super Airwolf (Mega Drive / Genesis) was a pretty rad game. solid shoot them up and top down shooter mechanics. Difficult but not overly so.

Transport Tycoon had the Deluxe version which I enjoyed hugely but man that's probably my number 1 game I'd like to see a proper sequel for. I don't really count the iOS/android versions. I still need to get around to playing Chris Sawyer's Locomotion.

Theme Park deserves a sequel too. Theme Hospital does not count as a sequel to Theme Park!

Theme Park got a sequel in Sim Theme Park and it was complete shit.

Hahs

The best? The best. So forget all the 'eye of the beholder' shit - my word is 'end all be all'?....shit ok!

Journey - 1 & done!

Rarity

Theresia: Dear Emile [NDS]

Eternal Poison [PS2]

For a game already mentioned, I'd go with Fragile Dreams.

I wanted my answers to be Pandora's Tower and Ghost Trick, but those are available on multiple platforms. And Fantasy Life is getting a sequel, so...

Shads

This is a fun challenge. Majority of games I thought of have already been said or I found out that it was re-released at some point or there was some obscure sequel that never caught on. But I think these few games (hopefully) match the criteria...

Gaiares (Genesis)
Blue Stinger (Dreamcast)
Xexyz (NES)
Deadly Towers (NES)
Cyber Speedway (Saturn)
Kenseiden (Master System)
SpellCaster (Master System)

All these "one and done" games brings back memories.

Top Bottom