• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Reboots of Gaming

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Changes are always good sometimes in video games.

For me, the best Reboot of video games is what they have done with the Ninja Gaiden saga.

Ninja Gaiden Black for me is one of the best games ever created, along with Ninja Gaiden 2.

The ost, Gameplay , Menu... every sound effect is awesome

One of the best Xbox Games that i play in my life.

Thanks All heaven that is in Nintendo Switch too!

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Changes are always good sometimes in video games.

For me, the best Reboot of video games is what they have done with the Ninja Gaiden saga.

Ninja Gaiden Black for me is one of the best games ever created, along with Ninja Gaiden 2.

The ost, Gameplay , Menu... every sound effect is awesome

One of the best Xbox Games that i play in my life.

When I saw the title I was thinking "I can't think of any?" but I think you might have nailed it actually.

Ninja Gaiden on the OG Xbox felt like such a leap in this kind of action game. It was awesome. At least I thought it was. Always liked the NES games even though they were hard as hell (still classics), and the arcade version was a favorite of mine as a kid then too. The Xbox game just felt like the next iteration of that series and it seriously hit hard.

Good call. I agree with your take, and don't really have anything else to offer.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Tekken 4 is another example of Great Reboot.

The story of each characters are so mature and try to be real.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Deus Ex Drink GIF by Eidos-Montréal

fart town usa

Gold Member
A few that come to mind for me

Resident Evil - RE7
Ninja Gaiden NES - Ninja Gaiden XBOX.
Zelda - Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart - MK8 (I consider it a reboot in a way because the rubber band AI was definitely toned down from MK:Wii, rubber banding made that game unplayable on 150cc IMO)
Fallout - Fallout 3 - I know some people really dislike the change from the old PC games but I dunno, Fallout 3 was mind blowing to me, had never played anything like that.

PC gaming probably has better examples but I'm not aware of them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Some won't call it a reboot, but they'd be wrong. It's the first time the series has truly evolved since the jump to 3D in 1998.

BOTW-Share_icon.jpg

Some things certainly didn't improve (dungeons), but it was the first nu-Zelda game and it was already fantastic. Can't wait to see where they go.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Tempest 2000 -- people probably forget now because it was on Jaguar, but this game revived a completely dead classic arcade IP to huge acclaim.
Wolfenstein 3-D -- while not officially licensed (I don't think) this was meant as a reboot of the classic Castle Wolfenstein and became so much more. Notably Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Wolfenstein: The New Order were both excellent reboots as well, so this series seems a bit blessed in this regard.
Fallout 3 -- Still a controversial change of direction but took a cult classic and made it into one of the biggest successes of its time.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution -- One of the very few games that managed to crack the code and make an accessible, commercially successful immersive sim that was still great.
Prince of Persia Sands of Time -- Again plucking a franchise that no one saw any value left in and creating a massive hit, that Ubisoft coasted on to diminishing returns for many years.
Doom (2016) -- Instead of rehashing an old game or hammering an old game into modern tropes, id really thought about how to make this game work for modern audiences without losing what it is and came up with something really unique.
God of War (2018) -- Took one of the most dumb/macho action games and turned it into a brilliant examination of fatherhood and masculinity. I still cant get over how unexpected and brilliant it is.
Spec Ops: The Line -- Totally subversive. Took a dumpster tier series and used it as a platform to really challenge the kinds of stories the genre and medium can tell.
Fuckin' Prey.
I don't really count this. It wasn't a conscious effort to reboot the series so much as duct taping a trademark that would have lapsed onto an unrelated game for the purposes of IP squatting.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
HITMAN and it's not even close.

Ah, I see you're also a man of culture.
Superb choice.

You think Hitman is a better reboot than Ninja Gaiden....and its not even close?

This is what Ninja Gaiden was before the reboot?
three-new-nes-games-including-ninja-gaiden-are-headed-to-nin_ebkc.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The X-COM one was really cool. Not only did they brought life to an old franchise, but they also kinda brought life to the genre itself since now we have a lot of turn-based games with cover mechanics.

Prince of Persia was a good one too, loved playing the first game (on the SNES) and Sands of Time was a great game too.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Prince of Persia, Mortal Kombat, and Ninja Gaiden of course.

Doom and Deus Ex are good reboots but I prefer the originals. I can play Doom 2 wads all day.

Tomb Raider is NOT a good reboot. The games themselves aren't bad, but they totally lack the challenge & level design of the originals. The fact that most puzzles are optional content speaks volumes.

Vandole

RE7 has been mentioned a few times so I will say the other one that stuck out my mind.

Kid Icarus- they took a 2-D action game with a cute premise, and turned it into an incredible shooter (with decent 3D ground action) in a world with characters who were bursting with personality.

And naturally the game was so good Nintendo hasn't touched it since..... because who would want to play in HD version of that?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Maybe make this thread more interesting? How about a reboot of a trash game/obscure game no one cared for that came out great.
Spec Ops: The Line (Spec Ops was lame series that had devolved into shovelware by that point).

Wolfenstein 3-D, reboot if the obscure (though not bad) Castle Wolfenstein.

Arguably Duke Nukem 3D, the early Duke games were not bad but nowhere near that level.

Ulysses 31

Do the new dooms count as a reboot. Thats the 1st game that came to my head.
Don't think they do when they're a continuation of Doom64 which itself is a sequel to Doom II.

Before Eternal there were only vague references to Doom64.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I think Megaman X could qualify as a reboot rather than a simple sequel / upgrade, and it’s awesome (its sequels less so, but the original X is lit).

Blaster Master Zero is a brilliant game that takes a very, very old IP and modernizes it in the best possible way while maintaining the charm of the original.

But seriously, if we”re going for the best, I think there’s very few reboots as awesome as Donkey Kong Country.

Beechos

Spec Ops: The Line (Spec Ops was lame series that had devolved into shovelware by that point).

Arguably Duke Nukem 3D, the early Duke games were not bad but nowhere near that level.
Def duke nukem 3d

Def duke nukem 3d the orig duke nuke was like a cheap doom clone and when 3d came out was like the best fps.

I don't know if Fallout 3 counts as a reboot since it's a distant continuation from the original games in the series, but it captured all the despair, sense of exploration, and depressing humor of the franchise and was able to convert it into a phenomenal first-person RPG.

Top Bottom