• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best retail store to buy a PSP?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I need some opinions on the best place to purchase a PSP from? Return policy and the offering of a good warranty matter.

Best Buy? Circuit City? EB?

bill0527

I bought mine at Target.

They've got a 90 day return policy and they give you the least amount of shit if you try to return something.

Madame M

Banned
Some retail store in the future where it isn't an early model of the PSP that will break 14 days after the warranty ends because it is a Sony product

Sega

I just bought a refurbished model from EB yesterday. I would buy a refurbished model over a new version for a couple of reasons.

1. I can check the screen before paying for it. Guaranteed no dead pixels. I can also check the firmware beforehand to make sure I can run homebrew and emulators.

2. The condition is indistinguishable from new in all cases I've been in contact with. Refurbished quality is quite good. Perfect shine on the screen without a single hint of a scratch. I imagine most refurb models come in because people returned for dead pixels. In those cases, the PSPs were probably booted up a handful of times and returned. Or returned immediately after turning on. Sony replaces the screen/fixes the stuck pixel, and it's brand new. I saw their "preowned" PSPs, and I was not too happy with the condition. I'm pretty uptight about the condition of my gaming devices/media. I even got the wrist strap and wiping cloth (neither had been pulled out of the bag), and the UMD sampler disc.

The first combined with the second would have me buy refurbished over new. Even if they were the same price. The $50 discount is a bonus. I was scared of buying a PSP before just because the fear of dead pixels. Then after that, the fear of a high firmware version. In the case of the latter, I'd totally be out of luck. No, the PSP isn't worth it to me for the UMD games alone at this point.

However, the warranty is only two weeks, and the extended warranty (60 days) is $15.

you guys are crazy. something as fragile as a psp? pluck down the $40 at best buy or amazon.com and get the 2 year replacement plan. if it breaks they give you an entirely new one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Barry Lightning said:
you guys are crazy. something as fragile as a psp? pluck down the $40 at best buy or amazon.com and get the 2 year replacement plan. if it breaks they give you an entirely new one.

Where does this fragile myth come from anyways? Is it because it dirties easily?

The thing can take a beating, believe it or not. Of course, it may not always come out looking very nice, but that doesn't mean it will fail to work...

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Barry Lightning said:

Getting the 2 year replacement plan seems to be the best bet. Nothing is more frustrating then to have something go dead on you, and you can't get the store to replace it.

The EB refurbished option is intresting also. What kind of warranty do they offer with it? Only 60 days seems very short.

Any other retailers have a better replacement plan than Best Buy?

bill0527

Sega said:
I just bought a refurbished model from EB yesterday. I would buy a refurbished model over a new version for a couple of reasons.

1. I can check the screen before paying for it. Guaranteed no dead pixels. I can also check the firmware beforehand to make sure I can run homebrew and emulators.

2. The condition is indistinguishable from new in all cases I've been in contact with. Refurbished quality is quite good. Perfect shine on the screen without a single hint of a scratch. I imagine most refurb models come in because people returned for dead pixels. In those cases, the PSPs were probably booted up a handful of times and returned. Or returned immediately after turning on. Sony replaces the screen/fixes the stuck pixel, and it's brand new. I saw their "preowned" PSPs, and I was not too happy with the condition. I'm pretty uptight about the condition of my gaming devices/media. I even got the wrist strap and wiping cloth (neither had been pulled out of the bag), and the UMD sampler disc.

The first combined with the second would have me buy refurbished over new. Even if they were the same price. The $50 discount is a bonus. I was scared of buying a PSP before just because the fear of dead pixels. Then after that, the fear of a high firmware version. In the case of the latter, I'd totally be out of luck. No, the PSP isn't worth it to me for the UMD games alone at this point.

However, the warranty is only two weeks, and the extended warranty (60 days) is $15.

I'd buy a refurb over a pre-owned... but still even a refurb has been owned by someone else for a certain period of time even if its been sent back to the manufacturer for reworking. Honestly though... I probably wouldn't buy either, at least not a handheld. Would you like to buy my PSP after its logged about 200 hours on the shitter with me? I think not.

Where does this fragile myth come from anyways? Is it because it dirties easily?

The thing can take a beating, believe it or not. Of course, it may not always come out looking very nice, but that doesn't mean it will fail to work...

This is true. I've dropped mine twice... while on the shitter - once while I was sitting down and the other time when I stood up to wipe, I accidentally knocked it off the counter. Its still runs like a new one. I won't say it looks like a new one because I gave up trying to keep my fingerprints off the case. I wipe it down about once a week now. You could scrub it every damn minute of every damn day and still not be able to keep it perfect.

Sega

bill0527 said:
I'd buy a refurb over a pre-owned... but still even a refurb has been owned by someone else for a certain period of time even if its been sent back to the manufacturer for reworking. Honestly though... I probably wouldn't buy either, at least not a handheld. Would you like to buy my PSP after its logged about 200 hours on the shitter with me? I think not.
If I'm guaranteed a firmware version I can play all of my NES games on, ZERO dead/stuck pixels without the hassle of trying to return based on that, and a perfect screen, then me gods yes. Anyone who touches my PSP has the risk of having all kinds of crazy histories with their hands. It's the same thing. I don't worry about it. Just as long as it looks good. My refurb did not have a single fingerprint or smudge on it, anywhere. The possibility of someone playing poo games with three Filipino she-male whores in a urine soaked alley while playing this PSP doesn't bother me one bit. The certainty however, would :).

Top Bottom