• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Retro Controller

Best Retro Controller

• Total voters

nani17

are in a big trouble
NES
440px-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Controller-FL.jpg

Sega Mega Master System
controllers-attachments-controller-sega-master-system-controller-3020-genuine-4_2048x2048-e1605937939854.jpg

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
Sega_Genesis_Control_Pad.jpg

SNES
Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg

N64
440px-N64-Controller-Gray.jpg

PS1
PSX-Original-Controller.jpg

Sega Saturn

sega-saturn-controller.jpg

Xbox "Duke "Controller
Xbox-Duke-Controller.jpg

Sega Dreamcast
Sega_Dreamcast_OEM_Controller_Refurbished_Ultra_Sonic_Cleaned_1__21855.1642881045.jpg

Nintendo Gamecube
dims

PS2
417E1D11PBL._AC_.jpg

It's a hard choice for me I mean the ps2 Dualshock is pretty much the standard for PlayStation I know there was one on the PS1 but I'm going with the SNES. I always loved that controller very light and it has a great layout.

Last edited:
the gamecube controller is the most comfortable but overall i would say the PS2 controller. the layout is pretty much the exact same on controllers today.

Topher

Gold Member
Retro for me is about joysticks since I played on Commodore computers long before I started playing on consoles.

TAC-2 is my fav
nrfv9gU.jpg

This was my very first game controller for the ill-fated IBM PCjr.

s-l300.jpg

And yes, it was just as horrible as it looks.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I like the Saturn pad for controllers without a thumb stick. This still holds up as a great controller for games that don't need thumb sticks.

For ones with thumb sticks, I would pick the PS2 from this list, but every current controller is better than it (Switch pro, Xbox series and dual sense).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
N64 for me the single joystick button combo is intimidating to people, to me it’s a beautiful design I remember things like Ganon, transitioning to different weapons for link, Mario party mini games etc.

interesting nintendo 64 GIF

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
It's still crazy to me that the Dreamcast controller was designed with only one analog stick.
What did Sega mean by this?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta be PS2.

If anyone says GC or N64 they're delusional fanboys. They are both utterly awful.
I love the PS2, but that controller has some incredible mushy buttons, the triggers are ehh, the sticks get worn out easily, and in terms of form factor the GC controller and the Xbox S controller are easily better.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sega Saturn for anything 2D and fighting games.

This one for 3D games:
1210px-Xbox-s-controller.jpg

And the Gamecube controller for games that don't need the dpad and right stick very much, like Monkey Ball for example.

BlackTron

Gotta be PS2.

If anyone says GC or N64 they're delusional fanboys. They are both utterly awful.

I hated PS controller so much it kept me from playing Playstation games. I even bought a PS2 anyway and tried to ignore it. Nope. Couldn't do it, just felt like forcing myself to eat dogshit. I was furious they STILL didn't change it for PS3.

Gamecube controller however was heaven.

Call me a delusional fanboy if you want but I even try to buy and play the damn system anyway. Sorry some people will just have a different opinion than you and it doesn't mean it has to be bullshit.

For example, the idea of choosing PS2 over GC to me is silly, but I assume the reason you do so is because they feel and play different in your hands than mine. Not that you're necessarily delusional.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
N64 for me the single joystick button combo is intimidating to people, to me it’s a beautiful design I remember things like Ganon, transitioning to different weapons for link, Mario party mini games etc.

interesting nintendo 64 GIF

I hit you with a Triggered emoji, but not because I think you're triggered. It's because you triggered me. 😂

Dream-Knife

Banned
N64 is my favorite in terms of impact and analog quality. GameCube is the most comfortable on the list, but I'd have to give it to the Duke. I'd rather have 6 face buttons than 4 and 4 shoulder buttons. L1/LB and R1/RB as well as the GameCube z button are terrible ergonomically. Playstation has always done those better though as your index finger naturally rests between the two.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I like the Saturn controller.

Particularly the NiGHTS controller, it was really really comfortable.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
some people forget that originally we got this turd as the Saturn controller:
sega-saturn-official-controller-original-fat-model-(colorbox).png

this is the good one:
92298295e94651c0459e606055e6aeb5.jpg

Probably Super Nintendo followed closely by the original PSX controller... maybe even tied to be honest. I haven't had a chance to play with the Saturn controller much yet so I can't really comment on it... though I'm curious, when people say Saturn do they mean the Japanese/US Model 2 controller, or the US Model 1 controller?

some people forget that originally we got this turd as the Saturn controller:
sega-saturn-official-controller-original-fat-model-(colorbox).png

this is the good one:
92298295e94651c0459e606055e6aeb5.jpg
Okay maybe that answers my question lol

Daytonabot

Banned
The Saturn and the Neo Geo CD pads are the best for any 2D game, which is why I keep USB versions of both around to this day. The only other one even worth mentioning is the Genesis six-button, but the Saturn one is superior, which makes it redundant.

nush

Gold Member
Not even sega knows that answer

They do, it was a way to simplify game controllers to bring in a wider audience. This was covered in an interview with Sega around the pre-launch of the Dreamcast. Obviously, they were very wrong.

Naked Lunch

Saturn by miles.
Why companies are afraid of having 6 face buttons is beyond me.

The PS2 Dual Shock 2's pressurized buttons were garbage then and didnt stand the test of time now. Good luck finding one that isnt a creeky mess. I have my PS2 back up and running and there are surprising few options to replace that piece of shit controller.

Last edited:

ksdixon

What were the main differences between sega megadrive 6 button and the Saturn controller again? I recall the md 6btn being more comfy?

daveonezero

Banned
The GameCube could have been perfect if the c stick was better and they had a Z2.

Still my favorite. I still don’t understand why Nintendo got rig if analog triggers and a click.

N64 definitely didn't hold up, but the GameCube controller is amazing. Nintendo should have kept going and refining that design.
They should have just took those designs and put it into the wiimote and and pro controllers.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The PS2 Dual Shock 2's pressurized buttons were garbage then and didnt stand the test of time now. Good luck finding one that isnt a creeky mess. I have my PS2 back up and running and there are surprising few options to replace that piece of shit controller.
exactly. not to mention the drift. I have 8 DS2 laying around. 1 is completely broken, 4 have worn out sticks with drift, all of them except 2 have mushy buttons. I usually use this controller when I'm playing PS2
8138159900_1355238780.jpg

the dpad is kinda shit honestly, but everything else is much better. the sticks and and buttons feel much more responsive. oh, and it's wireless.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
but the GameCube controller is amazing. Nintendo should have kept going and refining that design.
the gamecube controller has flaws. way too small dpad, not enough buttons, the c stick. but ergonomically its amazing. also one of the best triggers and the left analog stick is great. Monkey Ball plays best on the Cube because of it.

Top Bottom