• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Video Game Side Quests

geary

Sometimes it seems like developers toss side-quests into their games just for the sake of it. It's an unfortunate trend of quantity over quality. Skyrim is a fun game with hundreds of quests, as long as the looping "radiant" quests are counted. Then there are games like Assassin's Creed, with its tailing missions and fetch quests. Is it really worth padding a game out into a 60-hour experience when 30 of those hours are completely forgettable? Admittedly, preparing content that some players might not even see is tough. It takes guts, faith, and design knowhow to make side quests good. The truly great ones are underappreciated, and they deserve celebration. That's why we've taken this look back at the best, most memorable side quests in video games.

10. Love Hurts - Fable 2
09. Epsilon Program - GTA V
08. The Silver Shroud - Fallout 4
07. I Know You - RDR
06. From the Ground Up - Breath of the Wild
05. Pestilence - Kingdom Come Deliverance
04. Beyond The Beef - Fallout: New Vegas
03. The Doomed Commercial Area - Disco Elysium
02. There Stands The Grass - Fallout: New Vegas
01. Paranoia - TES IV: Oblivion

https://www.dualshockers.com/best-video-game-side-quests/

geary

Recently played CP2077 and the quest with the criminal creating a braindance with his suicide felt wrong on many levels, but was something different.

radewagon

I'm a sucker for battle arenas. The Ratchet and Clank and Kingdom Hearts series have some of my favorites. Also loved the one in Darksiders II.

Gojiira

Is that a side quest? I’d say it’s an alternative main quest considering it’s how you get one of the big endings.
It is a side quest, none of her content is actually necessary to progress. More like a secret ending.

On topic though, Fallout New Vegas hands down had the best side quests, multiple routes, multiple outcomes, still to this day very few games have even come close. Witcher 3 side quests were also fantastic. Miles Morales had pretty good side stuff too, I liked how they mixed up standard side missions such as taking a selfie with a fan and it gets interrupted by a explosion, was pretty cool Imo.

gow3isben

What does Mid mean? Something about The Lands Between being in the middle of something?

I just thought it was theoretically good but too much not knowing what the hell is going on having to look at guides which overall made it middle of the pack

The dragon fight and upper liurnia sections were highlight as was that ice sword sorcery reward

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The Ranni stuff in Elden Ring.
Yeah. An entire area can be missed if you don’t pursue this one, and the ending of the quest (not the Ranni ending of the whole game) is the best thing in the entire game. That scene is basically what Tim Burton chased for all his life and never achieved.

Anju and Kafei.
Possibly the best side quest in any game. Majora’s Mask is a very mature game masquerading as a children’s game.

Fredrik

It is a side quest, none of her content is actually necessary to progress. More like a secret ending.
I don’t know, a side quest for me is something like Boc or Patches, something small and isolated that don’t affect much in the game.
But if Ranni is truly a side quest then it’s the #1 for me too no doubt.

Last edited:

spawn

Witcher 3 side quests. Fallout and Elder Scrolls games have really good side quests as well. I think that is what makes those games so great. A lot of games side quests are just filler, but those 3 games actually add to the story with their side quests that they almost seem like main quests

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Yakuza Zero Cabaret club quest line.

It could be it's own game. And it's own movie also.

It's 2016. I discover this mini-game for the first time around noon. Next thing I know, it's dark out, and I've maxed out my cabaret club's profits.

Pokemon's "collecting" hook never grabbed me. But I HAD to have all the best girls for my club.

Laptop1991

Yeah the Witcher 3, and Oblivion's faction quests were good for me, Skyrim's were too short compared to Oblivion's i thought.

Aion002

Some of The Witcher 3 side quests are great, specially the ones that changes the end of the game.

Elden Ring also has a couple of optional quests that gives different endings to it.

Also, there's the Suikoden series which has many side quests that adds new party members, that affects the games in different ways and are quite memorable and useful. Same thing on Chrono Cross.

I love side quests that gives different endings, it adds a lot replay value for me.

Mozzarella

I can safely tell that the author of the article cares the most about multiple ways to do your quest based on his article, definitely doesnt care about quality of story the quest is telling. Although those are different approaches i think both can be important, but i understand its very difficult to come up with a quest that does both simultaneously.

Best games with side quests to me are:
Witcher 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion.

Top 3

Rest of the top list.
Baldur's Gate 2
Divinity Original Sin 2
Chrono Trigger
Mass Effect 2
Morrowind/Skyrim
Fallout 2
Suikoden 2
KCD
Majora's Mask
VTMB
RDR2
Dark Souls
Dishonored

Are all games with good side quests, but imo nothing tops the 3 above.

As for the quests themselves there's too many options you can pick.

---------

Edit:
Continuation..

I mean lets ask ourselves, what makes a good side quest? what makes doing one worthwhile and rewarding, imo its a combination of these.

1- Side quests that fleshes out the world and its lore.
You get a side quest than explain or detail history or a present via lore or backstory or even environmental storytelling that gives depth and context to the world the player is part of.

2- Side quests that develops a side or a main character in your story.

3- Side quests that gives the player multiple cool ways to finish or approach it, and compliments their build of choice or their playstyle.

4- Side quests that impact the world and change the ending or the story path

5- Side quests that lead to a chain of events and further side quests, making a very interesting mini-story series.

6- Side quests that is satisfying to replay and offers a uniquely gameplay mechanics and challenge

7- Side quests that offer unique and impressive and worthwhile rewards.

8- Side quests that offer interesting and good little stories that feel plausible, engaging and well written and directed.

My top list contains a mixture of all that.

For example
i heard a lot of praise about Yakuza series, granted i only played one game out of them, but the praise for its side quests was always confusing to me, as based on the ones i did, i found that it almost failed at most of my criteria requirement, I am sure some people love the episodic filler gag comedy that comes from them, but i personally found them to be an awful waste of time, unfortunately :(

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I though that side quest (Lost Tales of Greece especially) in AC Odyssey were so much better than the main quests it made me think that people who complained about side quests in this game only played those god-awful randomly generated ones.
Obsidian, old bioware and CDPR games have some of the best side quests, also borderlands for people who are into that.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't get all the praise for The Witcher 3's sidequests. Story wise they were cool for sure, but gameplay wise I thought they were kinda shit since most of them revolved around using the witcher senses, which was boring on itself.

I don't get all the praise for The Witcher 3's sidequests. Story wise they were cool for sure, but gameplay wise I thought they were kinda shit since most of them revolved around using the witcher senses, which was boring on itself.
Kinda agree, that's the whole thing about witcher imo. Witcher 3 is all story/characters/dialogue/world exploration to me. I find the gameplay is quite average, good enough to get you through the game but not appealing on its own. However if the game is so beloved because its has the best writing, characters, world, etc that also extends to the sidequests being the best because of their interesting/meaningful events, characters and conversations

Witcher 3 leans heavy on the writing. The gameplay is just something you gotta do to get to more writing.

I think people are gonna absolutely trash Witcher 4 if they dont throw the entire gameplay design out the window and start from scratch.

Handel

Anju and Kafei is my personal favorite:

screen-shot-2015-02-13-at-1-00-17-am.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom