• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda debunks Era, says that the physical version of Redfall WILL come with a disc, in new update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://mp1st.com/news/redfall-phys...ain-no-discs-and-instead-come-with-game-codes
Original
Redfall physical version copies will not contain a game disc like other physical versions of games and instead include “Xbox Play Anywhere” codes.
This information comes from an official FAQ found on the Bethesda website.
Here’s the full question and answer:
The webpage was spotted by a ResetEra user, with the thread commenting on the not-so-pleasant discovery.

While games are becoming more and more commonly sold via online platforms, physical sales still do fairly well, with PlayStation and Nintendo Switch games getting physical copies for all their high-profile titles.

It’s worth mentioning that the statement doesn’t technically outright state that the physical version won’t have a disc, especially given the fact that selling a physical copy without the actual disc can seem somewhat strange.

Until we get word from Bethesda themselves on the matter, all we can do is wait for the physical copies to arrive on gamers’ doorsteps or hit the shelves.
Bethesda debunks
Update: Bethesda has updated the support article and has now said that the physical edition will come with a disc (thanks, Tom Warren)!
FpMvkjrX0A4Xfi6

I didn't see this situation posted much on this site (unless I missed it) but elsewhere there was a whole campaign to crucify Phil and some choice words about Xbox going around about how the game wouldn't come with a disc even with the physical edition.

Granted, these days the disc is just DRM and is nearly digital itself in practice anyway, but Bethesda finally came out and said that the physical retail version of Redfall WILL contain a disc. Trade-ins are still possible.

knocksky

Banned
Are games even on the discs these days?

In 20 yrs would you be able to put a disc in a PS5/XsX and play it?

That question is valid for all the Xbox One revisions too. Many discs these days are basically just for access.

In theory, in the future there might be something you can download to a card or USB to allow games to be playable from the disc by plugging it into the console, but as for just putting the disc in and the game working? I doubt it.

knocksky

Banned
That question is valid for all the Xbox One revisions too. Many discs these days are basically just for access.

In theory, in the future there might be something you can download to a card or USB to allow games to be playable from the disc by plugging it into the console, but as for just putting the disc in and the game working? I doubt it.
Pretty much. That is why I don't get the drama over discless boxes nowadays. Even with a disc in a box it's pretty much useless

Mr.Phoenix

Good point, The only thing the disc serves right now is to deliver the game to your SSD.

Tobutress your point though, its not even if in 20yrs you can put a disc in your PS5/XSX, it's more like would the PS7/XSX3 even have disc drives? The only way to pay for the discs we have now on those consoles would be to download them from the stores. Just look at the PS1/2/3/XB/360...etc.

DaGwaphics

They've always put a disk in everything else right?

Now that digital is so prevalent anyway I don't see the point in selling a case with a code inside. Just make some kind of game card and put that in the store, why use the plastic and all that and then not have a disk in there? But you used to see it all the time on PC, so anything is possible I guess.

Generic

Correcting it that quickly means that they read all this shit.

Bethesda: release a statement about the bullshit always online. Show you're not tone deaf and ignoring everyone. Patch it out later, just say something.
Maybe it's always online because it's an online game?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I saw that and that is good but are the full games on the physical discs?

That is only an issue if its a smart delivery cross-gen game, where the disc has the XBO version and if you need the Series version, you gotta download it.

Shouldn't be an issue going forward with new-gen only games, I suppose, since that's gonna be the version on disc.

However, Redfall requires a persistent connection so this won't be applicable in that scenario anyway.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
That is only an issue if its a smart delivery cross-gen game, where the disc has the XBO version and if you need the Series version, you gotta download it.

Shouldn't be an issue going forward with new-gen only games, I suppose, since that's gonna be the version on disc.

However, Redfall requires a persistent connection so this won't be applicable in that scenario anyway.
Sounds good. Hopefully Redfall is a one off

dotnotbot

With games like COD you can expect the worst. If I remember correctly newest COD requires you to download most of the data.

But SP oriented games like Sony exclusives are fully on the disc. And Sony's approach to separate PS4 and PS5 versions has one major advantage that you can get both fully on disc, instead of one being just a download.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
GT7 also requires it iirc.

Expect all service games with retail boxes to have the same issue.
GT7 is also a game that I complained about having an always online focus but at least with GT7 you can still race on a lot of tracks offline

GT7 is also a game that I complained about having an always online focus but at least with GT7 you can still race on a lot of tracks offline

Isn't that after a day 1 install though? Can you race on tracks offline taking the disc out of the box the first time without doing anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom