• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda has added Denuvo to Ghostwire: Tokyo

Kilau

Gold Member
? That's not something I ever argued.
There's xbox console and xbox pc, both have a "store" and both have "game pass".
The part I bolded, "xbox version of the game on pc"

What does that mean then? There are plenty of games on pc game pass that aren't on xbox even though MS has lumped them all in under xbox.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The part I bolded, "xbox version of the game on pc"

What does that mean then? There are plenty of games on pc game pass that aren't on xbox even though MS has lumped them all in under xbox.
But they are on xbox by being on xbox pc, "xbox" doesn't mean console.

Kilau

Gold Member
Yes it's all together in that ecosystem now. There are still games that are only available on one or the other and MS still calls it PC game pass and differentiates it that way. We are totally off the original point, and I don't think we disagree on this one.

I'm not sure why it's the publishers fault that they introduce stuff like this when it's the pirates that are causing the problem.

What people should be saying is "these fucking pirates have now caused my gane to have to have DRM shit in it.".

drotahorror

I checked this out on PC via gamepass and it's pretty much not good. Lots of stutters, DLSS lowers my performance? what. Maybe I didn't make it far enough but I've played for almost an hour and a half and it's just very slow and boring. Game should probably pull me in in that amount of time.

Bro you are fuckin insane.

There is a PC (computer for slow people) gamepass version and an Xbox (this is a console) gamepass version (if you are using gamepass to play the game).

BQR2E0u.jpg

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Bro you are fuckin insane.

There is a PC (computer for slow people) gamepass version and an Xbox (this is a console) gamepass version (if you are using gamepass to play the game).
Thanks for the ad hominem, but your own screenshot contradicts you, it says pc game pass and game pass for console, the one without designation says ultimate, which is for both pc and console.
Also this is not something I ever argued, game pass has nothing to do with playing xbox pc games.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
What a horrible decision by microsoft. They'll get tons of negativity just to protect a small DLC for a game that's a year old. I hate pc gaming - you can suddenly get screwed and there's nothing you can do about it.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm not sure why it's the publishers fault that they introduce stuff like this when it's the pirates that are causing the problem.

What people should be saying is "these fucking pirates have now caused my gane to have to have DRM shit in it.".
Sorry but you are an idiot.

Pirates dont have to deal with Denuvo DRM.

Legitimate buyers shouldnt be forced to have drm on bought products.

Piracy doesnt equal lost sales, in fact it can boost sales.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, for as long as it's a AAA game, this is just going to keep happening, unfortunately. At least until there's something else.

The thing that's irritating is any build on digital platforms should not have Denuvo whatsoever. It existing on a digital platform IS your "anti-piracy" measure. So they're just doubling up in the worst way considering Denuvo fucking sucks and always affects performance.

Sorry but you are an idiot.

Pirates dont have to deal with Denuvo DRM.

Legitimate buyers shouldnt be forced to have drm on bought products.

Piracy doesnt equal lost sales, in fact it can boost sales.
So Publishers put DRM into games even though by having their games pirated means greater sales.
There's only one idiot here fella.

Nydius

You’re right and he stares back at you every time you look in the mirror.

DRM has NEVER deterred or limited piracy. Every form of DRM dating back to the stupid CD copy protection encryption that could be foiled with a fucking Sharpie has been broken. The only thing DRM systems do is harass and inconvenience legal owners, and it’s been this way since the days of the dumb Sony BMG root kit nonsense.

Denuvo is a prime example as it frequently affects the performance of games. That only harms the people who buy the game, while pirates who have cracked/stripped Denuvo get a better experience.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
So Publishers put DRM into games even though by having their games pirated means greater sales.
https://www.theticketingbusiness.co...can-boost-movie-box-office-sales-study-shows/

Word-of-mouth generated by post-release digital movie piracy can lead to an increase in box-office ticket sales, new research has found.

The study led by the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia in the US revealed that pirated movies that are circulated illegally online after their theatrical release generate on average a 3% increase in box-office income.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...acy-doesnt-hurt-game-sales-may-actually-help/

"This positive effect of illegal downloads and streams on the sales of games may be explained by the industry being successful in converting illegal users to paying users," the study authors write. Increased game sales may come from piracy as "players [get] hooked and then [pay] to play the game with extra bonuses or at extra levels,"

https://cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf

For games, the estimated effect of illegal online transactions on sales is positive – implying that illegal consumption leads to increased legal consumption. This positive effect of illegal downloads and streams on the sales of games may be explained by the industry being successful in converting illegal users to paying users. Tactics used by the industry include, for example, offering gameplay with extra bonuses or extra levels if consumers pay.”

You were saying?

Last edited:
What a horrible decision by microsoft. They'll get tons of negativity just to protect a small DLC for a game that's a year old. I hate pc gaming - you can suddenly get screwed and there's nothing you can do about it.
On the contrary with PC gaming there's always something that you can do. Fan patches and mods don't exist on consoles. Hell I've fixed games by editing a few lines in a config.ini :messenger_face_steam:

Yeah sure.
If you pirate a game and play it you won't go and buy a copy. If you can't get a pirate copy you will buy it,
If someone gets a pirate copy of a game and likes it their word of mouth would be "hey, I will show you where to download it and if you want I will copy it for you.

The biggest thing that has reduced the amount of pirating of movies and almost killed off torrents is subscription streaming services.
The same will be in the game industry. When GP gets to the mass market there won't be any real need to play a pirate version of MS games when you can play them all for $15 a month.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The same will be in the game industry. When GP gets to the mass market there won't be any real need to play a pirate version of MS games when you can play them all for $15 a month.
The same already happened in the game industry with the popularization of digital media, where you can easily get a game from a trustworthy source along fast download speeds. No gamepass or any subscription model needed.

nkarafo

how about fixing the mouse/camera look so I can play it without getting a headache

But that would be an update which benefits the users.

The point of updating something is to benefit the publishers.

Can't believe the audacity and entitlement of so many people thinking the publishers have to cater to their needs!

MMaRsu

Banned
If someone gets a pirate copy of a game and likes it their word of mouth would be "hey, I will show you where to download it and if you want I will copy it for you.

The biggest thing that has reduced the amount of pirating of movies and almost killed off torrents is subscription streaming services.
Sorry, but you are plain wrong, and those researches show that.

nkarafo

Sorry, but you are plain wrong, and those researches show that.

I agree, that's wishful thinking.

But there is some wishful thinking by the publishers as well.

Truth is, people who pirate games do so because they can pirate them. They don't buy games, they just pirate.

It's not like they would buy all these games if they couldn't pirate them. You really believe someone who downloaded the whole Re-Dump scene of PS2 games or something would buy them if they didn't have that chance? And yet, each one of the publishers of all those 2.000+ games would claim they lost a sale. Each and every single one of them.

That's the biggest myth about piracy. Publishers want you to believe that 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale but that's pure science fiction. Only a tiny minority of pirates would buy games they can't pirate.

People who buy games buy them. People who pirate, pirate. That's it. The only thing DRM does is making the life of the buying customers harder.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The standard publisher line of "each pirated game is a lost sale" is obvious nonsense, but I don't really buy these studies either. You can break down pirates into three groups. One is those who don't care about the game and would never pay for it. This group is whatever, they've always been around, it doesn't matter, they pirate because for whatever reason they enjoy pirating. Two is those who do care about the game and would never pay for it. These people are stealing, they are getting the benefits of owning it without paying for it. The third is those who do care about the game and would pay for it. Basically the "extended demo" crowd. Some of those pay for it, some of those end up in the 2nd group, but in the end, the 2nd and 3rd groups probably cancel each other out so it's a wash.

But - I think this reality is limited to affluent regions like the US/Europe/Japan. I also think the rise of F2P gaming and gaacha shit is in response to large-scale piracy in regions poised for growth. A game like Genshin Impact simply could not come out as a boxed title for sale in a place like China, it's just not an option. They place basically no value on IP and as such you need to, well, give away the game before they do it for you.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
I'm assuming this is because of the big content update, but this is still a really strange decision imo.

I don't really care much about Denuvo though.

Fuz

Banned
Truth is, people who pirate games do so because they can pirate them. They don't buy games, they just pirate.
Not always true. It's more complex. And there are studies that show that piracy increase sales, for various reasons.

rofif

Banned
I don't think that's entirely accurate.
I think it is.
It's often kids who pirate games. They dont have the buying power to do otherwise.
I pirated everything and your mother when I was a kid. if I wouldn't do that, I would simply not play these games

Fuz

Banned
But that would be an update which benefits the users.

The point of updating something is to benefit the publishers.

Can't believe the audacity and entitlement of so many people thinking the publishers have to cater to their needs!
This is exactly why I think autoupdates are a scourge and should *always* be disabled.

Fuz

Banned
I pirated everything and your mother when I was a kid.
Well, I pirated a lot when I was a kid because of availability, mostly (the only game store was 60km from my house, and they didn't have *everything* I saw in magazines).
Then I bought legit copies of most of those games as soon as I found them.

rofif

Banned
Well, I pirated a lot when I was a kid because of availability, mostly (the only game store was 60km from my house, and they didn't have *everything* I saw in magazines).
Then I bought legit copies of most of those games as soon as I found them.
yeah me too. I have like a thousand games now. Bought everything.
But the fact is, my parents did not had the money. I would pirate or bust

Fuz

Banned
yeah me too. I have like a thousand games now. Bought everything.
But the fact is, my parents did not had the money. I would pirate or bust
Just curious. Did you buy any of those games now that you do have the money? Like, on GOG or Ebay or whatever?

rofif

Banned
Just curious. Did you buy any of those games now that you do have the money? Like, on GOG or Ebay or whatever?
yeah. On steam, on gog and on 360. I've not pirated a game for like 15 years now. For consoles I am "clean" since mid 360(I had modded 360 but bought the games later) and fully since ps4.
And for pc, thanks to steam, It's forever

Zathalus

I think it is.
It's often kids who pirate games. They dont have the buying power to do otherwise.
I pirated everything and your mother when I was a kid. if I wouldn't do that, I would simply not play these games
Same, as a kid I didn't have any disposable income so I just pirated everything. If I had not pirated anything it would not have equaled a sale as I just would not have purchased the game.

Now that I have disposable income I haven't pirated anything in 10+ years.

Top Bottom