• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Hints at Length of "Very Big" Starfield

3liteDragon

Starfield is going to be a very big and long game, which should come as no surprise to those that have played Bethesda Game Studios' previous games in The Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises. How big and how long, Bethesda isn't quite saying, but during a recent interview, Bethesda Game Studios and Starfield director Todd Howard confirm the game is "very big" and designed to be played for a "long time." However, it also doesn't sounds like it's going to be anything above and beyond what the studio has done in the past, at least in this regard.

“I don’t want to set any crazy expectations for that. You know, we have cities and we build them like we built the cities we’ve built before," said Howard when asked about the game's approach on cities. "And we have lots of locations that we’re building like we’ve built before. And we want that experience of you exploring those to be, you know, as rewarding as we’ve done before. There are some different spins on that given the subject matter, but we like that about games. We want to point in a direction and walk and have our curiosity be piqued, and hopefully rewarded.”

Howard continued, noting the game will be "very big." "People are still playing Skyrim and we have learned from that. We spent more time building Starfield to be played for a long time, if you so chose that you just wanted to keep playing it. It’s got some more hooks in it for that, that we added later to a game like Skyrim… while still making sure that somebody who just wants to play it, and go through the main quests and ‘win’, or feel they’ve accomplished something large is doable." Unfortunately, this is where the insight ends. Right now, there's no total hour count or details on map size. That said, it sounds comparable to Skyrim, which takes 30-40 hours to mainline, 100-110 hours to beat with side content, and 231 hours to 100 percent. In other words, it's going to be big and long, just like Howard says it is.

Starfield is set to release on November 11, 2022 via the Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PC. For more coverage on all things Starfield, click here.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

This is why I love Bethesda games so much. They can keep me interested for literally 100s of hours. The side quests in their games are generally much better than the main quests in most other games. One of my favorite things in games is exploration and discovery and Bethesda is the king of exploration. Damn, I can't wait to finally play Starfield.

Rheon

This is why I love Bethesda games so much. They can keep me interested for literally 100s of hours. The side quests in their games are generally much better than the main quests in most other games. One of my favorite things in games is exploration and discovery and Bethesda is the king of exploration. Damn, I can't wait to finally play Starfield.

This.

I'm playing Skyrim again for the nth time and yesterday I came across a substantial side quest I'd never come across in all the 10 years I've been playing the game.

Starfield is gonna be epic.

kretos

Banned
well it's a big space out there

hope there is some kind of jetpack or something to explore space/moons etc and not just planets

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Howard continued, noting the game will be "very big." "In other words, it's going to be big and long, just like Howard says it is.
giphy.gif

------------------------------------

I'll believe about 65% of what he says and hope for the best. I've loved just about every single game from BGS since Morrowind and I'd even say I'm a bigger fan of the studio than most. But I'll take everything said about Starfield with a HUGE grain of salt until I actually see it for myself. Really looking forward to it, it's been so long since we've played a full on BGS game.

Last edited:

DavJay

Most anticipated is Avowed, this and Elder Scroll VI. If New Vegas 2 becomes a thing then we are in for a fine generation of gaming.

Last edited:
Every generation Bethesda's major singleplayer RPGs are among the best games of that whole generation. Never once have they failed to be, and the same will be true again of Starfield. Hell, it could possibly end up being their best game yet if they nail the vision as closely as it seems they might.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
What can you tell me about Todd?

HTA7unO.png

"Hello, my friend! If you seek knowledge about mighty Todd, you have most certainly come to the right person. In mortal life, Todd was a Nerd possessed of unmatched technical skill, limitless wisdom and the power to see into men's hearts. Todd mastered the power of the Voice, and with it he united the lands of men into a great Studio. In southern lands, he was known by the name Toddy Howards. Here at Neogaf, we honor him by his proper Nerd name. So great was his reign in life, when he ascended to the heavens he was made lord of the Divines. If you want to know more, I'm sure you can find any number of tomes on the subject."

Last edited:

Caio

I'm hyped about this one, and hope it will be GREAT ! I like big and long games, and I hope Devs will put a lot of effort in creating marvellous alive environments and a more sofisticated collision and detection system, physics, animations and stronger AI. I'm expecting a big jump considering the much more powerful CPU available and some extra budget and resources from Microsoft. Sure I'll stay always tuned on Starfield.

Riky

$MSFT
Big hope for side missions, hope you can just go to a random planet or moon and land with no idea what's happening there if anything. Then picking up some sort of storyline, that would be great.

Last edited:
If the game remains mod-friendly like Fallout 4, Oblivion or Skyrim I won't be playing for dozens of hours or even hundreds...

Os1XsGo.jpg

Starfield is the game I've wanted ever since I played Mass Effect and found it to be too limiting in where I could go and when. The thing with Bethesda games is despite the jank, despite the clunky mechanics, the worlds are always packed solid with cool shit around every corner and I can be 2000 hours into the game as still stumble across something I hadn't seen yet. With mods this is dialed up to 11.

Last edited:

Arun1910

That's nice but bigger doesn't mean better.

If it's just filled with the same "randomly generated missions" in different places or just really dull mission design this won't matter.

We'll have to wait to see if the Quantity comes with Quality, something Ubisoft seem to also lack these days.

Stuart360

I'm hyped about this one, and hope it will be GREAT ! I like big and long games, and I hope Devs will put a lot of effort in creating marvellous alive environments and a more sofisticated collision and detection system, physics, animations and stronger AI. I'm expecting a big jump considering the much more powerful CPU available and some extra budget and resources from Microsoft. Sure I'll stay always tuned on Starfield.
I really hope the places in the concept art make the final game. I would think they do as it was Bethesda thmselves that released the pics.

E3y6SZMXEAAFy-m-fbcd.jpg

E3yMK-AXoAQ1gVC-4058.jpg

E3yMMptWEAERRzH-c3cf.jpg

E3yMNhcXIAACqFH-e6b6.jpg

E3yMSBAXwAIM66A-5d1f.jpg

E3yMVyzWEA0elFp-9548.jpg

E30T2RvVkAE6-oH-d916.jpg

My imagination cant cope!. This is going to be epic.

Spidey Fan

Banned
What can you tell me about Todd?

HTA7unO.png

"Hello, my friend! If you seek knowledge about mighty Todd, you have most certainly come to the right person. In mortal life, Todd was a Nerd possessed of unmatched technical skill, limitless wisdom and the power to see into men's hearts. Todd mastered the power of the Voice, and with it he united the lands of men into a great Studio. In southern lands, he was known by the name Toddy Howards. Here at Neogaf, we honor him by his proper Nerd name. So great was his reign in life, when he ascended to the heavens he was made lord of the Divines. If you want to know more, I'm sure you can find any number of tomes on the subject."
Baby Babies GIF

Stuart360

There is a lot of variety just in those scenes, this is going to be amazing!
I get a real 'The Mandalorian' vibe with this game. A solo guy with his ship, exploring all these different planets and locations.
I do hope you can have squad mates though.

Fredrik

There is a lot of variety just in those scenes, this is going to be amazing!
Yeah and we know they can create cool unique places going by The Elder Scrolls, this game will set their imagination free, a new planet can be whatever they want, the potential here is through the roof!

M

Mr.Vodoo

Unconfirmed Member
I want to play this game. But then I remember how buggy Skyrim was at launch and well after. And also how lackluster the combat was when compared to the likes of the Dark Souls, and The Witcher. I hope things are much different with this thing.

Caio

I really hope the places in the concept art make the final game. I would think they do as it was Bethesda thmselves that released the pics.

E3y6SZMXEAAFy-m-fbcd.jpg

E3yMK-AXoAQ1gVC-4058.jpg

E3yMMptWEAERRzH-c3cf.jpg

E3yMNhcXIAACqFH-e6b6.jpg

E3yMSBAXwAIM66A-5d1f.jpg

E3yMVyzWEA0elFp-9548.jpg

E30T2RvVkAE6-oH-d916.jpg

My imagination cant cope!. This is going to be epic.

So you want me to be even more hyped than what I'm already :D yeah this is the kind of landscapes I would love in the final game, I want to be blown away. Can't wait mate.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Although I'm looking forward to this game, Todd Howard is one of the biggest deceivers in video game history.

I would say he's the king of video game bull shit, but that award goes to Peter Molyneux.

Any promises made about Starfield I'll take with a bucket of salt.

Top Bottom