• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Hints at Length of "Very Big" Starfield

Fredrik

I know Starfield was in development before Star Citizen and No Man's Sky but I expect Starfield to be the handsome, *almost* perfect space action/role playing/adventure/sci-fi game "offspring" of those two games.

Star Citizen:

KyiV9w99BYdgDRvAa83oFmN5DBXXg5nVHfMq3juEyv4.png

source.jpg

Plus:

No Man's Sky:

No_Man%27s_Sky_science_fiction_spaceship_video_games_planet_landscape_clouds_in_game-1504063.jpg!d

no-mans-sky-4mb.jpg

Equals:

Starfield:

starfield-trailer-screenshots-microsoft-and-bethesda-e3-2021_tuyf.1080.jpg

screenshot-34-1623602522079_c4ep.1080.jpg

screenshot-31-1623602522076_d4qd.1080.jpg

screenshot-32-1623602522077_3nju.1080.jpg
I’m at 450+ hours in No Man’s Sky, I love it, there is nothing like it. But I don’t think Starfield is going that route at all, that would either take forever to create or the planets would lose all the magic from their previous RPGs.

I think a more realistic expectation would be 5 very diverse and detailed planets, similar to The Outer Worlds in scope but more detailed with different biomes and packed with content, interesting characters and quests. And more planets as expansions later on.

I would be perfectly fine with that since I know how great they’re at crafting the lore and worlds.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I sure hope "we have cities and we build them like we built the cities we’ve built before" doesn't mean they are still instanced off and not actually part of the open world. That would feel incredibly dated and last gen (last-last gen really). Same with entering buildings etc. There's no reason for that not to be seamless on these new consoles with fast storage.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I sure hope "we have cities and we build them like we built the cities we’ve built before" doesn't mean they are still instanced off and not actually part of the open world. That would feel incredibly dated and last gen (last-last gen really). Same with entering buildings etc. There's no reason for that not to be seamless on these new consoles with fast storage.
Like every space game, it'll probably have tons of planets to explore. But each planet you are funneled to some areas and 1-2 cities. The rest of the planet is magically "inhabitable".

Great Hair

Banned
What can you tell me about Todd?

HTA7unO.png

"Hello, my friend! If you seek knowledge about mighty Todd, you have most certainly come to the right person. In mortal life, Todd was a Nerd possessed of unmatched technical skill, limitless wisdom and the power to see into men's hearts. Todd mastered the power of the Voice, and with it he united the lands of men into a great Studio. In southern lands, he was known by the name Toddy Howards. Here at Neogaf, we honor him by his proper Nerd name. So great was his reign in life, when he ascended to the heavens he was made lord of the Divines. If you want to know more, I'm sure you can find any number of tomes on the subject."

This might actually be good then?
Seems promising. Bethesda can do large scale exploration.

Astronauts are usually known for being kind of stiff in their movement, and aren't action stars. This setting actually plays to their strengths in game design if done well. Could be awesome. The art looks good so far.

Although I'm looking forward to this game, Todd Howard is one of the biggest deceivers in video game history.

I would say he's the king of video game bull shit, but that award goes to Peter Molyneux.

Any promises made about Starfield I'll take with a bucket of salt.

Here We Go Eye Roll GIF

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I need Starfield to have expansions. For a game like this it is an absolute must. Can't wait for this to be ready. It's coming out holiday 2022 right? So far awayyyyyyyyyyy.

I'm praying Bethesda allows mods on console for Starfield. There's a reason people play BGS games for literal decades.

My fuck-stupidly overpowered melee Khajiit with high level support skills (that actually matter thanks to Ordinator), who punches overpowered Diverse Dragons to death with my bro Inigo says hi.

Edit- It's why I hope BGS never walks away from their engine. I don't know of any company using a proprietary engine that just gives the tools away to modders (for the purpose of making their games have incredibly long tails).

Last edited:
Like every space game, it'll probably have tons of planets to explore. But each planet you are funneled to some areas and 1-2 cities. The rest of the planet is magically "inhabitable".
That is the reason why most don't attempt a No Man's Sky or Scam Citizen scale. I'll take a tightly crafted world over some randomly generated/overloaded barren wasteland any day.

Last edited:
I hope that it's good, it sounds promising AF. But, I have a sorted history with Bethesda. I'm always hyped before the game releases. Then it releases, still hyped! I play the game, a few hours in and it's great... but, I eventually lose interest and leave the game. I don't know what it is about their games, their world building is pretty damn great but they never get me with the follow through. I think it's the game play... oh and those bugs. But, since they don't have to build for another separate platform, they can dedicate more time to the stuff that matters.

On a side note, they should give all speaking assignments for Todd Howard to Phil LOL

I'd take smaller wild areas for more fleshed out cities. Other games mastered cities and bethesda still havent,. They're kings of the waste land but even if its just one huge city, I'd love that.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Maybe I'm just pessimistic because of FO76, but if Starfield isn't a generational leap like Skyrim was, that Bethesda style is going to be as dated and stale as Far Cry and Assassin's Creed and Elder Scrolls 6 is going to be an afterthought. Wonder if they sold to Microsoft because things were going wrong internally? 76 was a bust, they did that "Blades" mobile cash grab, the Skyrim "remaster" was a cash grab, the writing post-Skyrim has been trending down, and combat and traversal have always been weak points you can forgive if the game is absorbing.

abcdrstuv

Banned
They haven't had a new idea in a decade, other than the settlement building, UI has never been a strength, either, but Skyrim and Fallout 3 had an alchemy (4 a little bit) that made the games greater than the sum of their parts.

Top Bottom