• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda is "putting the finishing touches on Starfield"

Hezekiah

Banned
pDN-PMk7GDNL_x2ohbGESvuAagMh1KxXfrp8x3anHW4.jpg

Game Pass sign up page says early 2023.
Get people to sign up, and then apologise profusely when it comes out in Q3.

Jormatar

Bethesda games have just as many bugs as any massive open world game, and are generally way more complex.
This is simply not true. Unless with open world games we are catering into likes of Cyberpunk when it comes to bugs.

There are plenty of open world games out there that you can play without encountering bugs every 15 minutes. Whatever resources Bethesda puts into their worlds to make them standout from the rest, they borrow those resources from other areas of the game like combat and graphical fidelity.

This is simply not true. Unless with open world games we are catering into likes of Cyberpunk when it comes to bugs.

There are plenty of open world games out there that you can play without encountering bugs every 15 minutes. Whatever resources Bethesda puts into their worlds to make them standout from the rest, they borrow those resources from other areas of the game like combat and graphical fidelity.

You can do that in Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4 very easily, so I don't get your point. Unless your only experience is on the PS3 or you go out of your way trying to break these games? I played all those games at or near launch and barely noticed any substantial bugs, let alone anything that would affect my enjoyment of the game

Rheon

This literally makes no sense. You take extra time to polish because you feel it's needed obviously. In what way does delaying a game mean you're not actually doing the finishing touches?

Anyway, super excited for this!

I don't know about you, but to me when I hear 'finishing touches' it implies the game can meet a release date 5 months down the line.

I don't know about you, but to me when I hear 'finishing touches' it implies the game can meet a release date 5 months down the line.

No... game development is a complex process. Finishing touches can incorporate all types of different disciplines, and considering nobody is perfect, it's not impossible to realize much later that you're going to need a little extra time to get it to where it needs to be.

You can do that in Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4 very easily, so I don't get your point. Unless your only experience is on the PS3 or you go out of your way trying to break these games? I played all those games at or near launch and barely noticed any substantial bugs, let alone anything that would affect my enjoyment of the game

Say it louder for the people in the back. I've played every major Bethesda game since Oblivion AT launch and RARELY experienced game breaking or significant bugs. I'm not one of those people who is desperate to go out of my way to find bugs or break games. If I encounter a bug, big deal! I just reload the game, but I don't recall a single major bug in any new Bethesda release I've played. That doesn't mean they don't exist. It's just that hasn't been my experience.

The closest to one I experienced was some issue with horse armor back on the 360 with Oblivion. I also initially confused being sent flying by a giant in Skyrim to be a bug. NOPE! It was an actual design decision to have them knock me that far. I was nowhere near powerful enough to take on that enemy.

If the game comes out without bugs/ crashes I will be impressed. It would actually mean Microsoft has helped.
If it's the same release like other bethesda games, then nothing has changed.

Last edited:

NickFire

Looking forward to seeing the game in action today or Sunday (not sure on schedule for today).

Still wish they should stop saying their aim is for it to be the most played Bethesda game though. I get marketing and all that jazz. I just can't help reading it and then thinking of the obvious.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I've got to be honest, I love this kind of shit, it's part of the Bethesda charm. I played Fallout 4 on the Xbox One and the game was pretty much flawless other than a few times where it lagged/ dropped frame rates in well over 100hrs of play.

I didn't get any kind of hilarious bugs like this one, or dragons flying upside down or that Dr. in New Vegas with his head spinning around. I hope they leave a few of the best/most memeable graphics bugs in the game this time.

Fools idol

Banned
I remember that hype train for Skyrim and how polished it was said to be and the disappointment I felt literally 5 minutes into the game and seeing bugs and janky glitches almost immediately.

That said I have hope that it is on the least par with Skyrim post-fixes at launch.

oldergamer

Most of the concern here is coming from sony fans. The gameplay was good enough 2 years ago for sony to try and buy exclusivity while they were in talks to be bought by MS

Its what i said in the other thread. They are in the bug fixing phase now. No active development. The entire team fixing issues. Ms would be helping them with QA testing. To those that said it took cyberpunk 8 months after launch to get things in a ok state, that is true, but cd project didnt have the entire CP team on the patches post launch, so that slowed the speed dramatically.

Games this large may need a 8 months to a full year of bug fixing. Some of it can be automated with AI these days so actual humans have to look for functional buys and not test the world for holes.

K2D

Banned
I'm hoping it's something fresh.

But if it has to be one of your choices, it better be a Skyrim/FO kind of game. Wont touch it if it's like NMS or 76.
There was certain difference in polish between the one group and the other, not to mention NMS was basically a $60 Early Access game.

oldergamer

I mean...i'm not even interesting in this but finishing touches on a project as big as this one isn't something you can do in 3 months.

The game may be playable from the start until the end and still need a year of "finishing touches".
Nobody said they just started the finishing touches. Finishing touches is bug fixing. Not development of new features. I swear you guys will make up any situation to try and claim a point from a pretty simple statement

Elysion

Banned
I’m very curious about the scope of this game. Cb2077 was only a single city, and that gave CDPr more than enough trouble. Rockstar’s open world games are huge and usually fairly polished, but they have literally thousands of people working on each game. Bethesda only has a couple hundred people, and this time they’re not just creating the landmass for a single province, but presumably whole planets. Unless the game is structured similarly to Mass Effect or The Outer Worlds, where we can only visit small, cut off sections of each planet, this is going to be Bethesda’s biggest project by far. I assume there’s a lot of procedural generation involved, and that the number of visitable planets is fairly low, otherwise this would never come out.

Jennings

The instant this comes out it will single-handedly disarm and obsolete Star Citizen. You heard that one guy, this game will be in the hands of literal billions of players, no matter how they want to engage as a user. Everything we've heard about Starfield points directly at the fact it's going kickstart a whole new generation of games before the current gen is barely even two years old. My socks weren't just blown off, they've been reduced to string.

Can't wait to see starfield manifesting in front of me on the 12th. Sucking me into another dimension, where all dreams are possible while I join Todd Howard on our little space voyage alone, embracing each other. The warmth of our bodies will be enough to fuel the spaceship that has a trajectory set to the center of the galaxy, where Phil Spencer awaits. All the secrets of the universe will be revealed there, even when Star Citizen will come out of alpha.

I'm sorry for anyone who has eyes right now.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
You know there is something wrong with this industry when finishing touches requires an extra year.

Not sure if serious. Games are a crazy complex codebase these days, and that’s not a problem. Fixing bugs and polishing rough ends can take a while. This isn’t 1985

Also, not sure where you’re getting ‘extra year’ from. The game’s been delayed from November 2022 to H1 2023.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I certainly hope they dont give another date this weekend, it would be pretty embarrassing to delay it twice

It's already delayed into H1 2023, at worst they will give a date within that window.

But I don't think they'll give an exact date at the show. They have half a year left to do that.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Man, the pressure must be insane, if it is in a poor state then announcing it's going swimmingly will just pile more pressure on. If they'd released on schedule people would expect some Bethesda bugs, but now they have to get it finished AND it's got to be polished at launch.

Ozriel

M$FT
Man, the pressure must be insane, if it is in a poor state then announcing it's going swimmingly will just pile more pressure on. If they'd released on schedule people would expect some Bethesda bugs, but now they have to get it finished AND it's got to be polished at launch.

Barely any AAA game in the past few years didn’t get some sort of delay. Horizon Forbidden West, GOW Ragnarok, Gotham Knights, Harry Potter, Suicide Squad etc. why would Starfield’s case be unique in terms of pressure levels?

It does seem like the delays were aimed at reducing that pressure to be out by November. And I don’t think anyone sane expects any massive open world game to be bug free.

Topher

Gold Member
Don't pretend it's anywhere near as prevalent and from the exact same users no less.

But yes, those are sad losers as well.

I don't know how "prevalent" it is in either case, but it isn't just "Sony warriors" regardless. Better to just call out "warriors" in general, I think, rather than pretend it is just one group. It certainly is not.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Barely any AAA game in the past few years didn’t get some sort of delay. Horizon Forbidden West, GOW Ragnarok, Gotham Knights, Harry Potter, Suicide Squad etc. why would Starfield’s case be unique in terms of pressure levels?

It does seem like the delays were aimed at reducing that pressure to be out by November. And I don’t think anyone sane expects any massive open world game to be bug free.
Because, as I said, if the game is in a poor state, as rumoured, and the head of Xbox says it's finished and will be a hallmark for the brand, and the delay is solely for it to be polished, then expectations will be set higher than if the game had met it's originally announced date.

What I find interesting about people always trying to associate Bethesda with buggy games is the fact that many of the very people in this thread behaving like Bethesda always releases games with bugs, some of their own favorite game developer's most recent major titles - this includes Sony first Party also - have launched with major bugs present at launch.

Top Bottom