• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Lead Designer Ferret Baudoin has passed asay

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The games industry veteran's game credits included Neverwinter Nights 2, Dragon Age 2, and Fallout 76.

News of his death was announced on Facebook, with the creator of a tribute group writing that he "died suddenly on October 15, 2022."

"He [was] surrounded by his family. He loved real life as much as games. He was a devoted husband, father, brother, and son," the statement said.

Baudoin began working in games as a QA tester at Activision in 1997. Throughout his career he's worked at various companies in senior game design roles.

At Obsidian Entertainment he was lead designer on Neverwinter Nights 2 and while working at Bioware, he served as senior designer on Dragon Age II.

During his ten-year stint at Bethesda he worked on Fallout 4, Fallout 76, and he also listed Starfield on his resume.

Baudoin was eulogized by CEO of Something Wicked Games and Bethesda alum Jeff Gardiner on Twitter.

"I'm crushed right now," he said. "Ferret Baudoin took over as lead designer on Fallout 76 for Wastelanders. An eternal optimist and a dear friend. We had lunch several times since I departed Bethesda. He will be dearly missed."

Emil Pagliarulo, design director at Bethesda also shared his thoughts on his colleague's sudden passing.

"It's so rare to meet someone who has been doing the same thing for so long, and doesn't possess an ounce of cynicism," he explained. "That was Ferret. I will forever miss his passion for games and his boundless, joyous collaborative energy."

The cause is unknown, but could be cancer since the family now donates to a cancer fond.

Cancer is fucking bullshit.

I loved Fallout 4, one of my favorite games despite its issues and I still find myself wanting to reinstall it and take another run through the game.

Rest in peace
Tpqe0Da.jpg

He wrote the Silver Shroud quest for Fallout 4 and honestly it’s pretty much my favorite quest in the series for me, even going back to 1 and 2.

kiphalfton

I loved Fallout 4, one of my favorite games despite its issues and I still find myself wanting to reinstall it and take another run through the game.

Rest in peace
Tpqe0Da.jpg

Look at that waist to hip ratio. God bless him and anybody else who worked on that design.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Thanks for sharing OP.

Condolences to family and friends.

Thanks for the fun times I had playing your games Mr Baudoin. Enjoy playing games in the infinity of the universe. ❤️

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Too young to die. Rest in peace.

Rest in peace
Tpqe0Da.jpg

Same here. I'm a huge RPG / exploration type games fan. Fallout 4 might be a piss poor RPG but it offers some of the best exploration in gaming!

Top Bottom