• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Wants Elder Scrolls 6 To Be Playable For A Decade, Like Skyrim

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a recent interview, Howard spoke about some of the worries he has been having over developing The Elder Scrolls 6, namely whether it will be just as huge among the fan base in terms of longevity. He doesn't necessarily mean in terms of how long the actual game will be, but in how long it will endure, or whether it will have the kind of legacy that Skyrim is currently still in the throes of. He added that the next game will likely need to be a "decade game," meaning that it will almost need to top TES5 which, as of now, is pretty much still as popular today as it was when it was released in 2011.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I guess it's going to be a long wait for ES7 then... hopefully ES6 lives up to the hype

Last edited:

tusharngf

giphy.gif

Todd we need new Elder scroll game every 5yr.

Who played Skyrim for a decade? I guess a considerable amount of people play many games that are X years old and throughout a decade. That doesn't mean it's more successful though.

1) There needs to be enough jank and awkward NPC banter to spawn memes for a couple of years.

2) They need 3-5 glaring flaws that inspire the community to fix them with mods. This meta game adds about three years to the game’s longevity.

3) Provide at least the illusion that you can play as something other than a stealth archer. This way people can say to themselves that they will play it differently next time.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Playable for exactly a decade just like Skyrim.

Then Bethesda will release The Elder Scrolls VI: 10th Anniversary Edition with improved fishing and bust all my mods again.

Phase

These long dev cycles on big name games is going to backfire on a few companies sooner or later when one of them is a flop. The "sure thing" isn't so sure once you start taking a decade to release a new iteration. A lot changes in 10 years.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think theres as much chance of a new elder scrolls coming to playstation as a playstation exclusive coming to xbox.

rolandss

I’m probably in the minority, but I REALLY hate this trend of milking games forever squeezing every penny out of them until the sequel finally comes. Fighting games are definitely guilty of this. Didn’t they say they want 10 years for Halo Infinite as well?
I don't think you're in the minority, but the industry has changed. Lots of big AAA games can no longer be a one off thing people pay for once and put down and don't touch again a couple months later. They need to keep people playing and paying. I'd say it's partially because making games these days is far more difficult/expensive and costly as tech as improved to allow them to cram in more content, detail, fidelity etc., so the bigger up front cost demands greater buy in and mileage out of the audience. Its also partly because it's a proven way to make money and been shown again and again it can be successful to keep re-releasing the same stuff. As a business model it makes sense, but for people who want new/original experiences it sucks. But yeah, I'm with you, I'm sick of it. Still weird to me we went a whole console generation without a new GTA title.

Do kids today even know the meaning of the word Sequel? I don’t think they have been given the chance to even find out.
By the time a new game is released it’s just considered a novelty.
IP holders are really killing the brand meaning in games these days.

I got 10 bucks on the entire Skyrim map being in TESVI. You know, just to be safe.
I will go the other direction and say TESVI will be released In little parts with seasons content. Eventually in 10 years the entirety of just Hammerfell will be released. One of the season will be just one city, and consist of picking a side of powerful family feuds.

Kacho

Gold Member
I will go the other direction and say TESVI will be released In little parts with seasons content. Eventually in 10 years the entirety of just Hammerfell will be released. One of the season will be just one city, and consist of picking a side of powerful family feuds.
Absolutely brilliant. How crazy would that be? You know they’re going to go big with TESVI. They have to.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Such a stupid thing to say. ESIII didn't become irrelevant when ESIV came out, and ESIV didn't become irrelevent when ESV came out.

These lazy ass devs just want to ride it out as long as possible.

Shubh_C63

Sounds amazing. but in this new era of all games being (deliberate or not) Gaas, nothing is a sure shot deal.
Skyrim-2 + Microsoft + GamePass. This could be a different game than people hoped. I don't mind though.

Except Bethesda actually expects Skyrim to be a 15 year game, because that's how long it's going to be in between games. So sick of Todd Howard's inane babbling.

MOTM

Banned
Such a stupid thing to say. ESIII didn't become irrelevant when ESIV came out, and ESIV didn't become irrelevent when ESV came out.

These lazy ass devs just want to ride it out as long as possible.
Calling devs who made some of the biggest and most expansive games in history "lazy" 🤦‍♂️

And you obviously totally missed the point he was trying to make.

Last edited:

Markio128

There’s nothing else quite like Skyrim, other than the earlier TES games. The amount of time you can spend just reading the books strewn throughout the world can take longer than it does to beat most games nowadays. Yes, it has bugs (not too many now), but the amount of love and care poured into it is abundantly clear, which is why it has endured. In fact, I’m playing through it again at the moment and I’m still finding new quests and items. And I still find it more engaging than most recent releases. If it was a drink, it would certainly be a fine wine.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

In a recent interview, Howard spoke about some of the worries he has been having over developing The Elder Scrolls 6, namely whether it will be just as huge among the fan base in terms of longevity. He doesn't necessarily mean in terms of how long the actual game will be, but in how long it will endure, or whether it will have the kind of legacy that Skyrim is currently still in the throes of. He added that the next game will likely need to be a "decade game," meaning that it will almost need to top TES5 which, as of now, is pretty much still as popular today as it was when it was released in 2011.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Who played Skyrim for a decade? I guess a considerable amount of people play many games that are X years old and throughout a decade. That doesn't mean it's more successful though.

Vanilla? Not many people. The Skyrim modding scene is off the chain, there's a hell of a lot of people who've played Skyrim on-and-off with different mods for a decade.

tassletine

I loathe the whole extended beta test crap that is going on now, No Man's Sky being the worst example.
It depends on who you ask of course, but Skyrim wasn't exactly playable on release, and I found going back to it years later wasn't much better. It was completely broken on PS.

When you've got games like RDR2 that come out with very few bugs, you can tell someone is doing their job right. This just sounds like an excuse for shitty coders to carry on being shitty.

Top Bottom