• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda's legacy titles coming to Steam (The Elder Scrolls Arena, The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall & more)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Q: What if the game I own on the Bethesda.net Launcher is not available on Steam?
A: With the sunsetting of the Bethesda.net Launcher, we will be making several of our titles available on Steam that were previously unavailable. This includes The Elder Scrolls Arena, The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall, Creation Kit for Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition, and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. The Fallout 76 Public Test Server (PTS) is currently available on Steam as well.

Also they postponed the migration a little
Q: How will I play my games?
A: We encourage our Bethesda.net Launcher community to continue their experience on Steam. In April, you will be able to migrate your Bethesda.net library to your Steam account. Any title you own on the Bethesda.net Launcher will be available to you free on Steam. Your purchases will carry over to your Steam account. Many game saves will also transfer, however some may require manual copying. For more information on which games will require you to manually move your saves, please see our FAQ Entry "What happens to my game progression and saves?".
Q: What will happen to the Bethesda.net launcher?
A: You will continue to have access to the Bethesda.net Launcher and access your games until May. Starting in May, you will no longer be able to play and access your games within the Bethesda.net Launcher.

ManaByte

Gold Member
FYI they actually released Arena and Daggerfall for FREE on the TES website a couple of years ago.

The only ones you can’t get on a modern PC at the moment are Redguard and Battlespire.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory coming to Steam?

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

(I'm aware it's been playable this whole time, but it might encourage a brief resurgence)

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I've got 3 to transfer over, when they finally get it going and i already have the older main titles in the Anthology box set i bought years ago but to be honest, i won't ever play them, they are too dated for me.

The only ones you can’t get on a modern PC at the moment are Redguard and Battlespire.
Those titles are available through GOG, but some users aren’t too pleased with those versions. The news of the older games coming to Steam is a few weeks old, and I’m one of the few people who has been waiting for this. But I’m excited primarily for Daggerfall. Arena is crap, it was crap upon release and it’s still that to this day.

Truespeed

What if you have a game on both Bethesda and Steam, but want to move the Bethesda version to another steam account?

Those titles are available through GOG, but some users aren’t too pleased with those versions. The news of the older games coming to Steam is a few weeks old, and I’m one of the few people who has been waiting for this. But I’m excited primarily for Daggerfall. Arena is crap, it was crap upon release and it’s still that to this day.
Both are crap compared to might and magic and ultima series of the time. It wasn't until morrowind that tes became good. It was too large and samey with no plot or epic gear before.

Last edited:
Both are crap compared to might and magic and ultima series of the time. It wasn't until morrowind that tes became good. It was too large and samey with no plot or epic gear before.
You’re absolutely correct, but most of these criticisms are understandable due to it being Bethesda’s first RPG. They were clearly influenced by Ultima, but didn’t have the experience or team to make a comparable product. Even though Arena is crap, Daggerfall has to be commended for expanding and refining the formula in the first game, even though it’s mostly randomly generated.
What if you have a game on both Bethesda and Steam, but want to move the Bethesda version to another steam account?
I’m not sure what you mean. If both games are on each launcher then the Bethesda version will overwrite the Steam one to my knowledge. If you want to transfer to another Steam account then it will work, though I’m not sure if we’re able to transfer games to different Steam accounts or simply one.

anthraticus

Banned
When Bethesda actually made cool RPGs. Not popamole garbage for casuals with handholding in the form of a quest compass which will make the player go on autopilot and just mindlessly follow the idiot marker, without really having to engage with the game. Plus the awful level scaling which undermines their RPG systems and makes everything feel pointless.

The true Bethesda died after Lefay and Peterson left and the Toddler & Rolston became project leaders.

Last edited:

Goalus

Someone would willingly choose the MS store over Steam?
I have five games in my Steam library and about 300 in my Xbox library (at least 50 of which are playable on PC) so it's not difficult for me to decide where I want to collect my PC games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve got these on GOG. They’re a lot of fun with guides. Too bad they can’t do some sorta remaster/remake. Give the games some quality of life improvements. They’re not expensive to buy on GOG. I almost wish GOG would make a handheld or something. All these launchers take time to manage. On a side note, Games for Windows is the only thing I can’t stand about some particular games, especially if the game never got updated. I haven’t booted up a TES game on PC in a while, but I own all of them on PC.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I bought Daggerfall when it originally came out. I would imagine it doesn't hold up that great today. Has anyone played this recently on current PC's? Is it a slog?

They're DRM free on GOG.

In fact, I think they're free if you buy Morrowind or Oblivion on
FYI they actually released Arena and Daggerfall for FREE on the TES website a couple of years ago.

Redguard and Battlespire are also on GOG DRM free.

T-Cake

I was actually disappointed to log in to my Bethesda account and find there were no digital transactions whatsoever. But then I came to my senses and was happy.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today, Bethesda added five classic titles to Steam, mainly from the Elder Scrolls franchise, including two of its lesser-known and more obscure spin-offs, Redguard and Battlespire. Here’s the full list.

• The Elder Scrolls Arena
  • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  • The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
  • An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire
  • Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
But not only are these now available on Steam, but some of them are free. You can grab Elder Scrolls Arena and its sequel Daggerfall for free. Plus, the online multiplayer shooter Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory costs 0 bucks at the moment. And while there isn’t any indication from Bethesda that these are temporary deals or mistakes, I’d suggest grabbing them ASAP just in case someone at Bethesda made a mistake during this big move back to Steam.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Arena and Daggerfall were both very unpolished with tons of bugs. Maybe it got all tidied up and patched, but those two games would freeze all the time.

Enemies would magically appear beside or from behind attacking you without you seeing it coming. At least for Oblivion/Skyrim monsters dont just appear.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I was literally going to ask if there was a system to do some mods. I’d like to try these but have never actually been able to mod anything properly. I bought morrowind to try mods and none of them would work. Not sure what I was doing wrong

This game is extremely easy to mod. You literally just copy/paste to mods folders and to quote Todd "it just works".

Arena and Daggerfall were both very unpolished with tons of bugs. Maybe it got all tidied up and patched, but those two games would freeze all the time.
These versions are the original releases and haven't been patched or tidied up. As for the games freezing, I'm not sure what you're talking about as I've never encountered a problem with them.

Stuart360

Interesting. The only reason why i have never tried the early Elder Scrolls games is because i'm a couch PC gamer, and the games never had controller support.
I just noticed though that on the Steam pages it says 'partial controller support' for all of the games except Arena. Did they actually add in controller support?, cool if they did.

Top Bottom