• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul - Season 6 | The Final Season

Sybrix

Loved the episode; but felt Kim leaving Jimmy was really rushed.

Are we now going forward with Saul in his mansion etc?

How did get that mansion? Would love to see a 10 min synopsis of him moving and decorating etc

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Loved the episode; but felt Kim leaving Jimmy was really rushed.

Are we now going forward with Saul in his mansion etc?

How did get that mansion? Would love to see a 10 min synopsis of him moving and decorating etc
Yeah, no idea where he got all that money from, he did lose a bit of hair so maybe there was a massive 5-10+ year time skip.

I didn’t think we were that far behind BB though.

Thaedolus

New prediction:

Kim is somehow a factor with the present day black and white scenes- either someone’s using her to lure Jimmy out, or she’s flipped or something and helping someone find him. I’m guessing the former and it ends poorly

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Great episode; I found it to be far more interesting and surprising than the prior (Lalo showdown) one. This felt true to the series and had plenty of complex layers for all the characters.

It was clearly also a send-off to the entire timeline of pre-Breaking Bad (we get "endings" for everyone: Mike coming face to face with the necessary evil of his "justice;" Gus having nothing left to live for but revenge, to return to that poolside one day and finish them all off; Kim's recognition of her own despicable tendencies, which was a huge theme towards the end; etc).

So... now we're finally left with the post-Breaking Bad scenes. I can't wait. For once, none of us has even the slightest clue where this story will lead, since we're out in the wide open possilities again instead of being locked into the narrative binds of a prequel timeline.

What they did to Howard is one of the most calculated Evil things I've seen on TV.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that wine interlude with Fring at the bar; was it Gustavo giving up on happiness or a life that could have been?
I think it serves several purpose.

- a small celebration for Gus beating Lalo and outwitting the cartel
- further implies that Gus is gay, as this topic has always been open to interpretation in both BCS and BB
- Gus deciding from here on out it's pure business and revenge for Max. He's shredding whatever last ounce of humanity left in him.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
An interpretive question about the prior episode:

When Saul sends Kim to do Lalo's plan instead of himself, how do you interpret his intentions?

I assumed that he wanted to save Kim, thinking: Lalo will just kill us both afterwards anyway, it's a no-win, so Kim needs to leave this apartment and save herself. His face gave me that sense, when he said somewhat sadly "you gotta go."

But, if you agree with that... what was Kim's interpretation? She tried to go through with it. Was she (A) doing it to save Saul despite his intent to save her, or (B) did she misinterpret his intentions?

I think that moment, either way, is the critical decision point for their relationship. It mirrors when Heisenberg asked Jimmy to kill to save his life, but a bit inverted. Since she found herself going through with it, she realized the dark things she was capable of in her life with Saul, even murder, and that was the end for their relationship, even if it took a while to fully materialize in her mind.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
An interpretive question about the prior episode:

When Saul sends Kim to do Lalo's plan instead of himself, how do you interpret his intentions?

I assumed that he wanted to save Kim, thinking: Lalo will just kill us both afterwards anyway, it's a no-win, so Kim needs to leave this apartment and save herself. His face gave me that sense, when he said somewhat sadly "you gotta go."

But, if you agree with that... what was Kim's interpretation? She tried to go through with it. Was she (A) doing it to save Saul despite his intent to save her, or (B) did she misinterpret his intentions?

I think that moment, either way, is the critical decision point for their relationship. It mirrors when Heisenberg asked Jimmy to kill to save his life, but a bit inverted. Since she found herself going through with it, she realized the dark things she was capable of in her life with Saul, even murder, and that was the end for their relationship, even if it took a while to fully materialize in her mind.
I belive Saul just wanted her to get out of there. She decided to to the deed to save him. I took it as she understoodhe was saving her.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I belive Saul just wanted her to get out of there. She decided to to the deed to save him. I took it as she understood he was saving her.

Agreed. So it's interesting that he tried to save her but she refused to give up when they were beat. She has to win, no matter how far she has to go. This was what we saw when things fell apart with the Howard scam and she turned the car around rather than ever give up the game, or later when she went all-in on the lies she was willing to tell to Howard's grieving wife. Within Saul's world of scams--even when he tries to stop her--she has to win, and can & will do anything.

And then her recognition of what she has become was why she fled from Jimmy forever.

Sybrix

Are we thinking now the next 3 eps will be Gene only?

How did Saul go from his apartment with Kim to that mega mansion?

Won't that be explained?

Are we thinking now the next 3 eps will be Gene only?

How did Saul go from his apartment with Kim to that mega mansion?

Won't that be explained?
The last episode pretty much reveals that that Jimmy fully becoming Saul Goodman (the change in personality, behavior, the mansion, the hookers etc) is due to him coping with the loss of Kim. That he is the indirect cause of person he loves leaving him. Although they both love each other, being together means innocent people around them will get hurt or die because they both bring the best and worst out of each other.

Jsisto

Am I being naive in hoping that perhaps this ends with Jimmy(as Gene of course) and Kim somehow reuniting and getting new identities somewhere? It’s clear Jimmy is a changed person. Would be nice to close out the breaking bad series with a somewhat optimistic ending.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Jimmy gets his money from the sandpiper settlement, which was about to go through and was a lot of money.

I don't think they really need to explain that further, maybe people just missed it... a McMansion in New Mexico isn't going to really even cost you that much money lol It's Saul being depressed and blowing that money... but he also probably really threw himself at his "work" which isn't exactly low paying either.

Super stoked they are leaving so much room for the BB/post BB timeline stuff. Was worried it would be only touched upon but they basically wrapped up all the "story" threads for everyone but "Saul and Gene" and hopefully some Kim sprinkled in.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
My theory from the start was that the show would end on a reshot of this scene from a different angle, probably a static one-take from behind Walter. Not the full thing, just enough that we know what's going on.

The way things are now and with the Gene stuff, probably not, but it would've been neat.

Sybrix

Fun video regarding fan theories, some actual hints to future episodes also:

Spoilers in vid - 8:27 for something interesting also

My theory: Kim is related to Jessie

Last edited:

partime

I got my timelines mixed up. I thought we first saw Saul in Breaking Bad working in a back office of a hair salon. Did that happen in Better Call Saul?

IntentionalPun

I got my timelines mixed up. I thought we first saw Saul in Breaking Bad working in a back office of a hair salon. Did that happen in Better Call Saul?
Yeah that's what Jimmy was doing pre-Saul days.

We meet Saul in BB at his strip mall office when Walt goes to see him about Badger. Early season 2 stuff when Walt was having Jesse ramp up sales.

Last edited:

Joyful

So I'm confused.

Who exactly is the antagonist in these last episodes?

Hmm Im gonna guess howards wife.
she was already suspicious before he had to go into hiding in breaking bad timeline

that or howards law partner

Last edited:

Sybrix

Great episode but can someone explain the meaning of it? Was it that he just cant stop himself?

Basically blackmailing the guys, if they rat Gene out, they both go down with him due to that robbery.

Really good episode, i just wonder again where it goes from here....

They all black and white now?

Ironbunny

Basically blackmailing the guys, if they rat Gene out, they both go down with him due to that robbery.

Really good episode, i just wonder again where it goes from here....

They all black and white now?

Ah. I'm talking about the meaning of the whole episode. I get what was going on but just wondering what is the episode building for.

Sybrix

Ah. I'm talking about the meaning of the whole episode. I get what was going on but just wondering what is the episode building for.

Ah ok, i think someone said it in here, with only 3 episodes left, who is the antagonist now? It's Saul.

I think that little stunt Gene did has re-kindled his love for crime and being Saul, the bit at the end where he was trying on the loud shirt and tie, something Saul would wear, looks like Gene is in the game and Saul is back.

As for how Walt and Jessie come back, no idea at all.

Last edited:
Finally we get a Gene episode and I'm kinda mixed.

This episode really should've been the first episode in S6. I don't understand why they followed up with the bombshell of Kim leaving Jimmy with this. I think the episode is good, but it's a pretty standalone episode story wise since it only deals with Gene solving his Jeff problem. Speaking of Jeff, I don't really like the recast. I think the actor did a good job, but his portrayal is so different from his appearance last season that it feels like a different character altogether.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I might be wrong but that could be the end of the story. Him hanging up the shirt and tie could be the end of Saul. The intro tape getting cut short might also be hinting at that. I took it that those were Gene watching his old commericals and he's watched them so much they are worn out (they quality degrades with each season). The robbery was Saul appearing again to deal with Jeff. Now he has blackmailed him Gene can go back to his quiet life.

I'm probably forgetting a lot of stuff though lol I need to rewatch the entire show once it's done. I knew someone recognised Saul but didn't click that it was this Jeff (didn't really help he was recast). I guess it could be seen as the return of Saul... who knows. Need to see what the rest of the episodes do.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Wouldn't Saul be rather rich still?
Hes was wealthy doing his lawyer services and made even more bank working with walt, I guess he must of lost a lot of it because the majority of his wealth would be in banks and he had to disappear and call the vaccum guy quickly, but a guy like Saul in his line of work would of had at least $1million in cash, I suppose $125k for the vaccum guy, like $300k for his nee apartment he has about $500k left plus his $30k cinabon salary. Shit could be worse, hes not rich but he aint poor. I guess fancy restaurants and hookers will have to be limited now. Working at a cinabon must suck a bit, but with his savings he could buy a few properties and air bnb them. While he's got off pretty well, its certainly not what he wants to do and will make less money.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Speaking of Jeff, I don't really like the recast. I think the actor did a good job, but his portrayal is so different from his appearance last season that it feels like a different character altogether.

That's my only complaint about the episode. This was so confusing that I had no idea what was going on. I had to pause it, looked up and then rewatched the previous Gene scenes, and still was confused because it wasn't the guy who had outed him in the mall. I was thinking "is this that guy's friend? did I still miss a scene?" In fact I never could figure out exactly who this guy was and that screwed up watching the episode quite a lot. They should have found a way to make it work. One easy fix would be reshoot the prior mall scene and cut back to it in a flashback, or even just shoot an add on to that scene where Saul remembers seeing that guy a few days later in the same outfit at the mall watching him, etc. Completely impossible to replace an actor without some explanation.

There were plenty of themes here. I think the core was watching him still show his old Jimmy / Saul side, and get to go back into that world, which he clearly enjoyed to a certain extent. It also had a bit of a layered moment when he fakes breaking down in front of the security guard, crying about how he has no family and no one would notice if he died. That's all true, and even though he was faking, the scene is meant to show us that he realizes this. When he's pulling off one last heist, he remembers what he used to be (and longs for it when he picks out that suit at the end) but is also made to remember that he's literally nobody now, so meaningless that not a single person would care if he suddenly ceased to exist.

Thaedolus

Kinda frustrating having what feels like a setup episode with only a few to go, but it was a good episode nonetheless and showed outright that Saul is still in there and wants to get out. Kinda goes back to what Howard said about him not being able to help it because it’s just in his nature. Saul coming back has been setup well as an inevitability. Any time Jimmy got any sort of success or stability, he flushed it down the toilet going back to his old ways. Makes sense for the series to end on him giving up Gene and finally facing the music after a final scheme.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There isn’t much left to resolve, honestly. Most story lines are wrapped up other than what’s Kim up to, and what happens with Saul. I’ve been expecting Saul to get busted and Kim make her return in some way related to that. But 3 episodes is way more than enough time to tie off those loose ends. So I hope they have something fun planned. Particularly with Walt and Jesse. I sincerely hope they aren’t just used in like one scene as a throw-in during a flashback. When it was announced they’d be appearing in this season, I’ve been hoping it’s some big reveal or interesting development we didn’t know about that occurred off-screen.

IntentionalPun

Walt and Jesse are not going to be in it much.

I'm not mad about that personally, that's not really the point of this show.

I think it's gonna mostly be Jimmy and Kim show, with mostly Jimmy.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Why did they recast Jeff?
Apparently the other guy wasn’t available due to scheduling conflicts. But to me this is really not acceptable, they had a long time between seasons to sort it out and the only regular cast member they needed to have in the same room on any of his scenes was Odenkirk.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Yes, it shocked me. The original Jeff was alot more menacing.
I spent much of the episode convinced that this new character must be one of the other guy’s little henchmen friends, and that I must have forgotten a scene where that was established.

Because the original character was exactly the kind of aggressive guy who tends to have a small circle of meek losers like this replacement actor following him and under his influence.

bitbydeath

I still don’t like how they treated Howard, none of it made sense for them to be going after him like that, if anything was going to turn Jimmy into Saul and break him and Kim up, it should have been Chuck’s death.

Top Bottom