• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul - Season 6 | The Final Season

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I actually think I’d strongly prefer for Kim to stay gone. Bringing her back here somehow at the end doesn’t feel thematically consistent or necessary.

Frankly I don’t care about trying to fit Walt or Jesse in here somewhere either, so I hate that I heard rumors which keep me expecting it.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I actually think I’d strongly prefer for Kim to stay gone. Bringing her back here somehow at the end doesn’t feel thematically consistent or necessary.

Frankly I don’t care about trying to fit Walt or Jesse in here somewhere either, so I hate that I heard rumors which keep me expecting it.
Gotta setup that next spin-off, Walt and Jesse 2, Electric Boogaloo

YCoCg

I don't remember who that cab driver, Jeff, was supposed to be.
Dude was recast because the actor they've had since like Season 1 was busy for the final season, which feels like a bit of a cop out since the current Jeff looks nothing like the other one.

Reactions: RNG

Banned
Dude was recast because the actor they've had since like Season 1 was busy for the final season, which feels like a bit of a cop out since the current Jeff looks nothing like the other one.

yeah I was super confused at first, he really neither looks nor acts like the original guy

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
awwww shit

the next episode is titled "Breaking Bad"

iu

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
From the link:

But at the very least, that title—and the released synopsis, “The partners escalate their enterprise to new levels”—is clearly angling to make us think we might be back in ABQ, possibly at the height of Heisenberg’s reign.

Hmmm... that summary makes me think it may be something rather different than anticipated by the title. It's at least partly going to take place in the black-and-white time, so it's possible that description refers to Saul's "partners" as Jeff and the other guy. In other words, it's possible that the taste of that last heist was too good and reminded him of what he once was, so he decides to go back to those 2 kids with a bigger idea and a bolder plan of some kind, truly "breaking bad" again here late in his life. I could be wrong, though.

Last edited:

E-Cat

From the link:

Hmmm... that summary makes me think it may be something rather different than anticipated by the title. It's at least partly going to take place in the black-and-white time, so it's possible that description refers to Saul's "partners" as Jeff and the other guy. In other words, it's possible that the taste of that last heist was too good and reminded him of what he once was, so he decides to go back to those 2 kids with a bigger idea and a bolder plan of some kind, truly "breaking bad" again here late in his life. I could be wrong, though.
I think it's both that and a flashback to Breaking Bad, making parallels between the two.

So tonight's episode, loved it, but can someone explain the phone booth scene where he tries to get ahold of Kim? Did she just not take his call?

Thaedolus

Of course Skyler is the one with a happy ending, no word on Walt Jr, I suppose we can only presume that she ate him.
The last time we saw Skylar she was chain smoking in the presence of her baby in a dumpy apartment…I think she took some sort of plea deal but it wasn’t much of a happy ending

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Wouldn't Saul be rather rich still?
Hes was wealthy doing his lawyer services and made even more bank working with walt, I guess he must of lost a lot of it because the majority of his wealth would be in banks and he had to disappear and call the vaccum guy quickly, but a guy like Saul in his line of work would of had at least $1million in cash, I suppose $125k for the vaccum guy, like $300k for his nee apartment he has about $500k left plus his $30k cinabon salary. Shit could be worse, hes not rich but he aint poor. I guess fancy restaurants and hookers will have to be limited now. Working at a cinabon must suck a bit, but with his savings he could buy a few properties and air bnb them. While he's got off pretty well, its certainly not what he wants to do and will make less money.

So, he does have quite a bit of money?
Glad they addressed this.

iorek21

Loved this weeks episode, but I feel to much dread ever since 6x09, like that was the true series finale and what we’re getting now is just what little remains of Saul.

I don’t think I’m going to like where the show is headed, but I’m all in to see it.

E-Cat

After that episode the whole story of Breaking Bad takes on another meaning. If Saul had listened to Mike, everything Walter was building would have stopped, but Saul has always been there to advise Walt, urging him to continue by allowing him to build his own empire. If that hadn't happened, Walt would surely have been arrested after a short time. Saul Goodman has been in the middle of every major storyline, he is the real main character of this universe; Walter was the umpteenth victim of Slippin 'Jimmy.

Sybrix

The "inaudible” conversation in the phone booth is actually pretty audible in the German dub. Here is what is said (caution, heavy spoilers).

German: „Du hast keine Ahnung was ich getan, oder nicht getan habe, okay? Wieso stellst DU dich nicht, auf mich musst du keine Rücksicht nehmen, ich kann nur EINMAL gehängt werden. Okay, hör zu, Kim, wieso reden wir überhaupt darüber. Wir beide sind zu clever…

English translation: (The beginning is inaudible…but it’s mid-sentence and he is already upset about what Kim must have said): “(…) you have no idea what I did or didn't do, okay? Why don't YOU turn yourself in, you don't have to be considerate of me, I can only be hanged ONCE. Okay, look, Kim, why are we even talking about this. We're both too smart...“

This confirms he is talking to Kim. Kim must have told him he should turn himself in, to which he reacts angrily.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

After that episode the whole story of Breaking Bad takes on another meaning. If Saul had listened to Mike, everything Walter was building would have stopped, but Saul has always been there to advise Walt, urging him to continue by allowing him to build his own empire. If that hadn't happened, Walt would surely have been arrested after a short time. Saul Goodman has been in the middle of every major storyline, he is the real main character of this universe; Walter was the umpteenth victim of Slippin 'Jimmy.
Really? Gus had the final say, he definitely wanted Walts product. Theres no way saul had much to do with Gus choosing to do business with Walt, Gus even very nearly backed out with Walt.

E-Cat

Really? Gus had the final say, he definitely wanted Walts product. Theres no way saul had much to do with Gus choosing to do business with Walt, Gus even very nearly backed out with Walt.
Walt and Gus hadn't even met at this point. It was Saul who first set them up ("I know a guy who knows a guy"), but he didn't really become Walt's lawyer until he went to visit him at the high school. Before that, Mike had conducted an investigation on Walt and said he "wouldn't go near him" and called him "a complete amateur". "If the cancer doesn't get him, it will be the cops or a bullet to the head". Him and probably Gus too viewed Walt as a complete wild card, very unlikely they would have initiated contact on their own knowing how discrete an operation they run. Had Saul dropped the idea then and there like Mike urged him to, that would've been the end of it most likely. It probably took considerable persuasion by Saul and Walt being a client for Gus to even agree to meet with him, he was the driving force behind the wheel.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Walt and Gus hadn't even met at this point. It was Saul who first set them up ("I know a guy who knows a guy"), but he didn't really become Walt's lawyer until he went to visit him at the high school. Before that, Mike had conducted an investigation on Walt and said he "wouldn't go near him" and called him "a complete amateur". "If the cancer doesn't get him, it will be the cops or a bullet to the head". Him and probably Gus too viewed Walt as a complete wild card, very unlikely they would have initiated contact on their own knowing how discrete an operation they run. Had Saul dropped the idea then and there like Mike urged him to, that would've been the end of it most likely. It probably took considerable persuasion by Saul and Walt being a client for Gus to even agree to meet with him, he was the driving force behind the wheel.

Yeah so saul eventually convinced Mike to ask Gus, and Gus agrees, Mike would of told Gus that walt is a noob , so the decision was GUS's, Saul introduced but he was not really responsible for it all, its still had to go through gus and it doesn't make sense that Gus would do it through the saul introduction but wouldn't find out about Walt otherwise, Gus would of found out sooner or later being the biggest meth dealer in that area.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Excellent episode.

Aaron Paul didn't try hard enough to be young Jesse again. I know he's been very proud of his gruffer man-voice in recent years, but Pinkman at 20-whatever never sounded anything like that. He could have tried a bit harder. At least the scene was shot so as to downplay him, and Walter was portrayed perfectly. Saul and Walter together feel like they could have been cut from deleted scenes.

Great casting on Kevin Sussman as the cancer victim, he's such an underrated character actor. He also worked perfectly on The Dropout.

I like that we're no longer in the territory of "oh it's cute, Saul pulls some more tricks later in life." Instead, we're facing a very dark reality and seeing just how morally compromised he's always been. That same "never let the scam go" obsession is what made Kim do horrible things to Howard and even to tell damning lies about him to his grieving wife, so it's true that their game has always been something darker than they admit. It seems Saul is about to get his reckoning, and in the Breaking Bad moral universe that's usually no light thing.

How did I not recognize him?

Jsisto

My current theory. Jeff’s mom stumbles upon something other than cat videos on her new computer. Maybe a “better call Saul!” video, or a news article showing a picture of him, and puts two and two together. They definitely seem to be going somewhere with this, as evidenced by her seeming to grow suspicious.

E-Cat

Yeah so saul eventually convinced Mike to ask Gus, and Gus agrees, Mike would of told Gus that walt is a noob , so the decision was GUS's, Saul introduced but he was not really responsible for it all, its still had to go through gus and it doesn't make sense that Gus would do it through the saul introduction but wouldn't find out about Walt otherwise, Gus would of found out sooner or later being the biggest meth dealer in that area.
Well that's my point, if Saul had ditched Walt he would have never convinced anyone, thus never introducing Walt to Gus, so they would have never met.

Last edited:
Well that's my point, if Saul had ditched Walt he would have never convinced anyone, thus never introducing Walt to Gus, so they would have never met.
I highly doubt Saul's introduction matter at all.

Gus would've eventually learned of Walt because his product was that good. In BB there's flashback of Gale telling Gus how good Walt's meth is and it's Gale's insistence that led to Gus working with Walt.

E-Cat

I highly doubt Saul's introduction matter at all.

Gus would've eventually learned of Walt because his product was that good. In BB there's flashback of Gale telling Gus how good Walt's meth is and it's Gale's insistence that led to Gus working with Walt.
Gus already knew about Walt in the last episode. But in the BB Gale flashback, that is when he had learned through Saul that Walt wanted to work with him. I'm not saying that Gus was manipulated into making the final decision on the matter (impossible), but that it was Saul who gave it the necessary jolt to get the ball rolling. Without Saul, and after Mike's initial report on an amateur with a volatile partner, do you think Gus would've told Mike to approach him, like "psst, we see you're a player, wanna be part of a covert industrial scale meth cooking operation"? Do you think Mike would've agreed after that whole tale about the Betamax being a complete waste of time? And we know Gus absolutely despised lose ends, remember the finger twitch after that light interrogation by the DEA? Maybe it's not impossible what you're saying, but I deem it unlikely.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Its certainly a possibility, but its also not an unlikely possibility that they still would of met.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Would have.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It almost seems too obvious Saul is going to go down hard that it's either a major misdirection, or it's setting up for Kim to return somehow in epic fashion. Some have speculated the last episode will be Saul representing himself at trial, but that would be too hokey IMO. I think Kim coming back would be cyclical, but kinda hokey too. I actually think it would be a wild twist if Kim was a witness to the prosecution if there was a trial, but not sure if it makes sense in regards to the story, since she has no incentive to turn against him since she's already long gone.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It almost seems too obvious Saul is going to go down hard that it's either a major misdirection, or it's setting up for Kim to return somehow in epic fashion. Some have speculated the last episode will be Saul representing himself at trial, but that would be too hokey IMO. I think Kim coming back would be cyclical, but kinda hokey too. I actually think it would be a wild twist if Kim was a witness to the prosecution if there was a trial, but not sure if it makes sense in regards to the story, since she has no incentive to turn against him since she's already long gone.
If it turns out that there’s some kind of trial at the end, his defense attorney would be Oakley. They planted the little bit of info that he flipped from prosecutor to defense, and I’d expect that to pay off, plus having someone like Oakley defend him would be poetic in a way.

Thaedolus

I have a hard time seeing them make it through a whole trial plot line start to finish in two episodes. There’s gotta be some Chekhov’s gun hiding in plain sight that they bring back, and I bet it leads to his demise.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I have a hard time seeing them make it through a whole trial plot line start to finish in two episodes. There’s gotta be some Chekhov’s gun hiding in plain sight that they bring back, and I bet it leads to his demise.
Agreed — if we see a courtroom, I’d expect to see Oakley, but in general I don’t expect some big trial either.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don’t think there’s going to be a big trial. At least not fully on screen. If there is one, I expect it to be edited to where only a very small part of it is shown.

Or… for example there’s a scene with say Saul in prison and then it jumps back to the trial and just shows a brief scene or two, but doesn’t show how the trial plays out, because they wouldn’t need to if it’s edited that way. You already know Saul is in prison so he gets convicted.

It would be poetic for it to end with a trial since he’s a lawyer,but at the same time, there’s plenty of evidence against him so it’s not like he would have any chance of winning. Which is why they wouldn’t need to show it if they did it.

They have to fill two more episodes left with something though. There’s not much left. I hope they don’t continue this con thing they’re doing for another episode, that would be lame. If he gets busted, I hope it happens early in the next episode so they can turn the page and focus on the next part of the story. Because I have to admit, the last two episodes were good, the show always is, but it wasn’t nearly as compelling as the New Mexico stuff. Right now is is just basically watching Saul be a small time con man.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Because I have to admit, the last two episodes were good, the show always is, but it wasn’t nearly as compelling as the New Mexico stuff. Right now is is just basically watching Saul be a small time con man.

I don't know... while some of it has felt like they're wasting a little more time than they should given the episode count left, overall I've found these black and white episodes far more compelling than the first half of the season when they were setting up a scam on Howard. It was during those episodes that I realized Saul and Kim are in such a dead end as persons--and as characters, because there is little left to show us other than the full magnitude of how perverse their game had becomes--that I wanted them to rush to the inevitable breakup as quickly as possible, and fast-forward to show us more of the final consequences at the end of his life. I enjoy this quieter time when Saul has no real confidant... he's still just pulling scams but without even a Kim beside him to enjoy things, he has nowhere to hide from himself.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't know... while some of it has felt like they're wasting a little more time than they should given the episode count left, overall I've found these black and white episodes far more compelling than the first half of the season when they were setting up a scam on Howard. It was during those episodes that I realized Saul and Kim are in such a dead end as persons--and as characters, because there is little left to show us other than the full magnitude of how perverse their game had becomes--that I wanted them to rush to the inevitable breakup as quickly as possible, and fast-forward to show us more of the final consequences at the end of his life. I enjoy this quieter time when Saul has no real confidant... he's still just pulling scams but without even a Kim beside him to enjoy things, he has nowhere to hide from himself.
I thought they dragged out the lead-in to the Howard plot a little too long(although that pre break episode was AMAZING so it paid off) but the show right now really misses Kim and Mike. The thing about Saul to me is a character that is greatly enhanced by those around him. He feeds off of others. When he's around Kim and Mike he's so good. He's still good around others, but the people he's around with now he can't play off them nearly as much. There's no chemistry, and Saul is a chemistry-driven character. He's not overly serious or stoic. He's not a loner type. He's affable and charismatic. Kim was so damn good, I hope she makes another appearance.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Incredible episode. I'll have to think about it for a while, but easily the finest hour of the show yet.

I actually love what they did with Kim, all of it.

Is the finale 1hr, or more?

Last edited:
Top Bottom