• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul - Season 6 | The Final Season

One thing that bothered me: when Saul tells his story about first meeting Walter White, it begins "2 years ago... "

I guess that's the correct timeline according to the show. But I hate it. It's far too narrow of a time gap. The way I prefer to read black-and-white events of Gene's life post-BB, it's at least 5 years later, preferably more. If it's only two years since he even first met Walter White (so, quite a trivially short time since the final episode of that series and his rush into hiding), then the sense of his long isolation and having to live his life for a time as the unassuming Gene is dulled quite a bit. It feels less significant that way. He looks much older than that, and I prefer to see him that way.
Yeah the time gap doesn't seem right. When I first started watching BCS I assumed.thr gene timeline was like 10 years later at how bad he aged.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Yeah the time gap doesn't seem right. When I first started watching BCS I assumed.thr gene timeline was like 10 years later at how bad he aged.
Honestly this "2 years" nonsense bothers me so much that I simply call it a writer's mistake and continue to read the end of the series as taking place about a decade later 🤷‍♂️

Otherwise everything becomes comical, because he barely even arrived at that Cinnabon (2 years since he met Walter White means basically less than a single year in hiding!), yet we were given writing and dramatic development that suggested he had dealt with that world for a long time. It's a really weird screwup that I can only assume was due to a misguided need to align these events with El Camino in some way.

Ionian

Having just watched it and as someone that watched Breaking Bad since episode 1 (Yeah I was that annoying person);

They nailed the ending on this. Two different shows, two different paces, two different stories.

Yet inter-twined. Callbacks felt a little forced in points but actually served the story and some improved it.

Don't want to post spoilers but I was happy despite the sadness of the tale.

I'd watch a spin-off but really don't think one is needed, would just dilute what was already a masterclass in story telling. The characters all had their own time to shine in both series.

I'd say let it rest at that.

(Unless a Walt Jr. breakfast cooking show is on the cards).

Ionian

Honestly this "2 years" nonsense bothers me so much that I simply call it a writer's mistake and continue to read the end of the series as taking place about a decade later 🤷‍♂️

Otherwise everything becomes comical, because he barely even arrived at that Cinnabon (2 years since he met Walter White means basically less than a single year in hiding!), yet we were given writing and dramatic development that suggested he had dealt with that world for a long time. It's a really weird screwup that I can only assume was due to a misguided need to align these events with El Camino in some way.

Time is never pointed out, I'm a dumbass and the connection is there but when did they say how long?

He's away, then kicks back into gear at the end of a season of flashbacks in colour?

Honestly I'm curious as I took it for what it is, where was the mistake? Genuinely as it went *whoooooosh* over my head.

This is an important point. When Jimmy tried to straight himself up and went to law school, Chuck sabotaged him and pushed him back to Slippin' Jimmy. He never got help, compassion, trust. Of course he'll go back being a con-man, he's been pushed into it. He's not at fault as much as the writers want us to think.

Chuck was an asshole and sabotaged Jimmy at numerous occasions, and that was his misguided way of helping Jimmy. However, ultimately it was Jimmy who chose to go back to his scamming ways. It was Jimmy who managed to get that job at Davis & Main. It was also Jimmy who threw that sweet job away because like Chuck said, "he couldn't help himself."

Ionian

Chuck was an asshole and sabotaged Jimmy at numerous occasions, and that was his misguided way of helping Jimmy. However, ultimately it was Jimmy who chose to go back to his scamming ways. It was Jimmy who managed to get that job at Davis & Main. It was also Jimmy who threw that sweet job away because like Chuck said, "he couldn't help himself."

Brilliantly put.

I doubted that theory last season but it's so blatant this one.

Even up until the last moment he tried, it's hard to have sympathy for him at the end when he does both again.

Yet, It's still hard to hate him despite the destruction he caused. I wouldn't call it a redemption arch, far from it. But the ending was better than he deserved.

Wonderful how it was set up how they made it obvious yet ambiguous. If you know what I mean.

Ionian

Another random addition, related but only slightly.

When BB ended, vaping shops went crazy with bluemeth flavours to cash in. Obviously under a *wink wink* thing. None lasted here.

Literally labelled them the same and were surprised when shut down, numerous ones on a main street for vape juice.

Most shops sell the same but it's just 'this' and per power vg. Was mental.

Thanks Vince Gilligan :D

Edit: the fact they were trample out 'head shops', could have played a part. They were the legal drugs back in the day that were trampled out as they kept getting their shops set on fire.

Never tried the head shop shit myself but honestly happened.

Bonus video of the time.

Last edited:

UncleMeat

After thinking about it a bit it was a pretty great finale. Hilarious that he fucked with that old prosecuter one last time. Gotta say though, I'm guessing in year 8 he's gonna be thinking he should've just taken the 7 years. I mean how long can that "clean conscience" feeling last?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Time is never pointed out, I'm a dumbass and the connection is there but when did they say how long?
I’m referring to when Saul starts his testimony (twice) with “2 years ago, a man walked into office... (etc, got kidnapped)... that was my introduction to Walter White”

So it was only two years from the time Walter and Jessie dragged him into the desert (his first BB episode) to the time of the final episode of BCS. Since at least a year passed for all the events after that point in BB, that “2 years” remark would mean that Gene was in hiding at the Cinnabon less than a year, probably much less.

That just doesn’t work for me.

Ionian

I’m referring to when Saul starts his testimony (twice) with “2 years ago, a man walked into office... (etc, got kidnapped)... that was my introduction to Walter White”

So it was only two years from the time Walter and Jessie dragged him into the desert (his first BB episode) to the time of the final episode of BCS. Since at least a year passed for all the events after that point in BB, that “2 years” remark would mean that Gene was in hiding at the Cinnabon less than a year, probably much less.

That just doesn’t work for me.

You're overthinking it dude.

I can see where you're coming from no doubt but looking at it, it kinda adds up as everything was working quicker.

dr_octagon

Banned
Chichanery and the court scenes are amazing. Kim, Howard and Chuck sold me on the show. The quality of acting of the supporting cast also makes a big difference.

In other shows, the minor characters are forgotten but BCS lets them shine and not just become a vehicle for the story or Jimmy.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Chichanery and the court scenes are amazing. Kim, Howard and Chuck sold me on the show. The quality of acting of the supporting cast also makes a big difference.

In other shows, the minor characters are forgotten but BCS lets them shine and not just become a vehicle for the story or Jimmy.
Everyone focuses on the returning Breaking Bad characters like Walt in the finale, but I was particularly interested in the new scene with Chuck. McKean is a brilliant actor.

Breaking Bad might be one of the best if not the best TV shows I've ever seen but I never could get myself to start watching Better Call Saul.

I really should change that and start watching.

Edit: balls. I thought it was available to watch on Prime Video but it apparently isn't anymore.

Last edited:
One question I have.

Does this series take place before Breaking Bad, or after Breaking Bad or a combination of both? From what little I know it seems like it's the latter.

Ionian

One question I have.

Does this series take place before Breaking Bad, or after Breaking Bad or a combination of both? From what little I know it seems like it's the latter.

It's both but mostly before, finishes after. Coloured scenes are before, black and white are after to make it obvious. Starts before, ends afterwards. It's really well done as the afterwards scenes are sparse until the end, then they go all in.

I'd avoid this thread if you don't want to be spoiled, it's quite a ride. ;)

It's both but mostly before, finishes after. Coloured scenes are before, black and white are after to make it obvious. Starts before, ends afterwards. It's really well done as the afterwards scenes are sparse until the end, then they go all in.

That sounds awesome. Thank you.

Oh sorry, one more question. Where can I stream it? I could have sworn it used to be available on Prime Video but I guess it's not anymore.

Ionian

Oh sorry, one more question. Where can I stream it? I could have sworn it used to be available on Prime Video but I guess it's not anymore.

Honestly, I have no idea. Sorry. :(

Does AMC have a streaming thing? I don't sub to any after Netflix ripped me off for Arrested Development - Season 4. Watched that, thought it was a travesty so gave the account to my missus to take over for her zombie fetish.

Mind you, I was still in the trial (free) stage, so was only time wasted but there was nothing else I liked so noped out.

I'm not American but I imagine there must be? I have no idea.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
I'm not American
Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The last shot was really sad
I liked how they did the two of them standing in different sides one going off to freedom because they had the courage to start again the other stuck left to rot because they couldn’t escape what they made. Metaphors and all that shit.
Bored Breaking Bad GIF by Steffen Wittig

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just finished watching the finale. I dont know how I feel about the final few episodes. I get that it is thematically true to the series, and I understand why people here like the ending, but it just didnt click with me. Though even the BB finale didnt do much for it.

I dont know. I like that Jimmy finally owned up to his mistakes but I dont like how he had to take 86 years for it. I get that endings have to be bittersweet but both Jimmy and Walter getting bittersweet endings feel a bit predictable and hollow. Not sure what I was expecting tbh, but these two shows are some of the best written stories ive seen in any medium and the fact that they dont have THE best ending ever is kinda disappointing.

dr_octagon

Banned
Just finished watching the finale. I dont know how I feel about the final few episodes. I get that it is thematically true to the series, and I understand why people here like the ending, but it just didnt click with me. Though even the BB finale didnt do much for it.

I dont know. I like that Jimmy finally owned up to his mistakes but I dont like how he had to take 86 years for it. I get that endings have to be bittersweet but both Jimmy and Walter getting bittersweet endings feel a bit predictable and hollow. Not sure what I was expecting tbh, but these two shows are some of the best written stories ive seen in any medium and the fact that they dont have THE best ending ever is kinda disappointing.
I think this is fair criticism.

There is a bit of romanticism with Walt and Jimmy. Yeah they get caught but after the mess they made to their family, it's not exactly justice.

It's not to say a violent shoot out is required but these people aren't heroes which isn't fully reflected in the endings.

PillsOff

Banned
What a season
They uped all of the visual storytelling n look to the level of the best Sergio Leone movies while story is just perfect.

Last 3 seasons of Better Call Saul turned this show into absolutely essential piece of movie history.

It is shocking how Breaking Bad saga not only managed to have 11 great seasons but finished at it's peak quality.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I just watched all of Better Call Saul for the first time and am halfway through my second watch of Breaking Bad. Yes, these are easily some of the greatest shows of all time.

But James/Jimmy/Saul/Gene/Kevin Costner's ending didn't sit right with me. I feel he took the longer sentence for Kim's sake, to prove he was taking accountability...but wouldn't 7 years have been enough suffering? I hope Kim visits him often and they offer conjugal visits because the thought of Jimmy rotting for that long without her makes me sad.

Top Bottom