• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 Update Shared by Ubisoft

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a jobs listing on LinkedIn, Ubisoft is currently seeking to hire a 3D Programmer to work on its Beyond Good and Evil 2 team. The position is within Ubisoft's headquarters in Paris. The studio where this opening exists is described as the same team behind games like Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Just Dance 2021, and Watch_Dogs Legion.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.

According to a jobs listing on LinkedIn, Ubisoft is currently seeking to hire a 3D Programmer to work on its Beyond Good and Evil 2 team. The position is within Ubisoft's headquarters in Paris. The studio where this opening exists is described as the same team behind games like Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Just Dance 2021, and Watch_Dogs Legion.
Games dead just give up

Astral Dog

They obviously don't put the resources since its just Ancel's pet project, Ubisoft probably has no idea what this is,or why anyone would care about BGAE in 2021.

A safer, low budget sequel closer to the original game at least could have a chance of getting released,but its too late

Great Hair

Banned

During this time, Ancel began working part-time with Ubisoft while splitting his time with Wild Sheep Studio, a company which he founded with Sony's money. In 2017, Ubisoft hired another creative director, Jean-Marc Geffroy, to work alongside Ancel on Beyond Good and Evil 2. That relationship quickly soured. Then a third director was added. All of this created friction that led to a situation where, "a good dozen people go on sick leave, probably more... Meeting people with tears in their eyes, it happens often" as one employee described it. The majority of the blame is placed on Ancel, however—blame that he calls "fake news".
Season 10 Richardlewis GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sybrix

Duke Nukem
Cyberpunk

This game will be added to the list of games that eventually come out 10+ years late and will be disaster.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a recent job posting for an Engine Programmer, Ubisoft outlines the duties of this new position as someone who will be working on the game engine for Beyond Good and Evil 2. What's most interesting is that this title does not come with the responsibilities of completing or designing the game's engine, but more along the lines of maintenance and fine-tuning. This new position is specifically tasked with tweaking the existing code for improvements on structure and clarity without making any larger changes that would alter the overall behavior of the program.

Given both the qualifications for this Engine Programmer position and its specific mission statement, this is likely a backend programmer who is being brought in to hone in on optimization and bug fixes. Ubisoft specifically hiring for this position as a developer for Beyond Good and Evil 2 could indicate that the base engine for the game has been completed, and is in the final polishing stages before it is ready for release. It should be noted that this doesn't mean that other important factors such as visual and audio assets or even level designs are finished at this point, but the foundation for them is being smoothed over.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ubisoft did provide a small update and confirming that development of Beyond Good and Evil 2 has been unaffected by recent events at the company. A spokesperson for the company elaborated that, "Beyond Good and Evil 2’s development is underway and the team is hard at work to deliver on its ambitious promise." Unfortunately, that's largely where the update ended, so for now, fans will have to continue to be patient.

phaedrus

Ubisoft did provide a small update and confirming that development of Beyond Good and Evil 2 has been unaffected by recent events at the company. A spokesperson for the company elaborated that, "Beyond Good and Evil 2’s development is underway and the team is hard at work to deliver on its ambitious promise." Unfortunately, that's largely where the update ended, so for now, fans will have to continue to be patient.
jUq2RbR.jpg

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oh look, Ubisoft dangling BG&E 2 in front of our faces, immediately following recent news in which they get exposed for fucking up big time.

It's like clockwork!

Seriously, wake up people. This isn't a game that will ever come out. This is just a bait for the gullible so that they would have something else to talk about on Twitter while the company is dealing with whatever shit storm is happening at the moment

kuncol02

Banned

They should cancel that "game" 10 years ago when after 5 years they had nothing to show. It's sequel to game that no one bought and they spend almost 15 years making it. How badly company has to be mismanaged to allow this shit?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Reminder that it's now handily overtaken Duke Nukem Forever's development cycle. BGE2 is the ultimate vaporware.

Filben

yeah, still in development on paper that is. Some conceptual prototype tops. That's of course unaffected by recent events and news.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

What are the odds that an enormously ambitious title like Beyond Good and Evil will ever see the light when Ubisoft can't even manage a game like Skull and Bones that's much more limited in scope?

How is it "too early" to discuss? This game was announced over a decade ago....

The gameplay looked pretty sick the last time they showcased it. What is causing the development hell I wonder?

I have a feeling there's no dedicated studio working on it. They probably constantly pull people off to finish other projects with higher priority, until this project is in a nearly finished staged. Which can take a while this way.
No insider info here, just a hunch.

yurinka

I have a feeling there's no dedicated studio working on it. They probably constantly pull people off to finish other projects with higher priority, until this project is in a nearly finished staged. Which can take a while this way.
No insider info here, just a hunch.
As usual in most AAA games they have teams in multiple studios working it. Some of these studios have multiple teams working each one on a different game, and typically part of that team remains always in the project and then there's part of the staff that sometimes moves (often temporally) from a project to another to support the one that needs a push to achieve a milestone (so higher priority) and need extra work.

In the case of this game there have been many job offers specifically mentioned to be to work in this game, so pretty likely at least most of them will be working in the game until shipped.

What are the odds that an enormously ambitious title like Beyond Good and Evil will ever see the light when Ubisoft can't even manage a game like Skull and Bones that's much more limited in scope?
They are developed by different teams.

And Skull & Bones is a more risky title because it's a brand new IP instead of a known one, with a lead studio that isn't as popular/prestigious/experienced as the other one, and is from a unsafer/riskier/nicher genre where the devs aren't that experienced and successful, and also includes the MP GaaS which is an extra pain in the ass for the devs specially when the team isn't very experienced and successful with it.

20,000 employees but their output has slowed to a crawl in 2022.
Even if they got impacted from covid and had to delay some games, they had around a dozen releases in 2022, not counting GaaS game updates/DLCs.

This was a slower year for Ubisoft, but still a higher output than most big publishers.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

delay some games, they had around a dozen releases in 2022, not counting GaaS game updates/DLCs.

I'm not seeing a dozen new games released in 2022. I see:

• Rainbow Six: Extraction - GASS
  • Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection - Port
  • Trivial Pursuit Live! 2
  • Roller Champions
  • Assassin's Creed Origins - Port
  • Discovery Tour: Viking Age
  • Rabbids: Party of Legends
  • Wild Arena Survivors - Mobile Game
  • Rocksmith+ - Port
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
  • Clash of Beasts - Mobile Game
  • Just Dance 2023 Edition
Thats 9 new games, 2 of which are mobile games, and 1 Gass game. This is pitiful output from a company with 20,000 employees and over 30 studios.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

• Roller Champions
  • Rocksmith+ - Port
Thats 9 new games, 2 of which are mobile games, and 1 Gass game. This is pitiful output from a company with 20,000 employees and over 30 studios.

30 studios should release more than 12 games a year?

Are you aware of how long games take to make?

Tbf this makes complete sense. BGE 2 is one of (if not the) most ambitious game that ever got greenlit.

AND it's being made by one of the least ambitious publishers on the planet.

So yeah, kinda impossible to gauge this game by traditional timescales.

Probably gonna take atleast a decade of real dev time to hit even 20% of their aspirations.

(And yes, it will 100% be cancelled or morphed into something else entirely, once Ubi runs out of money and patience)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just fucking quit ubisoft.
Close the doors.
Sell splinter cell.

Nobody wants anything else

ShadowNate

Was the Prince of Persia remake cancelled?

I was looking forward to laughing the shit out of how that would turn out.

Shubh_C63

To Ubisoft I say its ok to make shitty treadmill games that people play. But once in a while showcase a AAA passionate GEM you can pin point when gamers say this company has no creativity.

Ubi did make For Honor and Division you know.
Make BGE2 your The Last guardian and surprise everyone.

yurinka

• Roller Champions
  • Rocksmith+ - Port
If this happens it's because you have no idea about game development, marketing, testing and publishing, ignoring the thousands of people required for these releases combined with the DLCs and game updates they released this year for games released in previous require the work.

And well, you also act as if they wouldn't have a lot of other games under development that will be released in future years, many of which have an insane size.

And btw, their mobile games or remastered ports -like the one from similar companies- also involve hundreds of people nowadays. And in particular, the mobile games require several years of development before and after launch.

If they have a bigger size than other publishers it's because outsource a smaller part of the games than other AAA publishers, and because they develop and release more games than the other publishers.

Go and check how many other AAA publishers had more releases this year, and how many of their GaaS from previous years (both in console+PC and mobile) got new content this year. I highly doubt you may find one with a bigger output than Ubisoft.

As an example, their mobile gaming studio of my city this year didn't release any new game this year, but they have been releasing content for 4 games they released in previous years, plus are working on multiple upcoming games.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

I was hyped more than a decade ago, it's dead now, forever. And nobody cares anymore. The whole project is purposeless.

If it will release one day, it will turn into an ultra expensive and massivee pile of shit aka online "multi milking live service pay more it's not enough DLC massive insert your credit card" dead on arrival project

It's time to change UBI, but it's probably too late.

delos GIF by Westworld HBO

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
BGE2 is a game nobody wanted in the first place. The first game that came out 20 years barely sold any.

This game is one of those franchises that has supporting gamers vocal about a sequel. So you always get a thread topic or two about it. Psychonauts and Abe's Odyssey games are similar. You get talk, but interest and sales arent there.

Ummm… they did do an HD remake… in 2011… that plays on modern platforms…

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/Beyond-Good-Evil-HD/C28HP82H7MN8

Admittedly, I forgot that Xbox has good BC, which makes it easily available there. Still, that's not modern platforms, that's one modern platform (Xbox Series). Steam/GOG seemingly only have the old version available, not the HD port. No Switch or newer Playstation. Point is, rn I'd prefer them keeping the original around better instead of continuing this farce here - part 2 died with Ancel leaving (and never looked like the thing people wanted to begin with).

Last edited:
Does anyone have faith Ubisoft can make good games anymore? Rainbox six siege is the only good thing they have going for them. And that zombie spin off they tried to sell was still a fucking insult and very poor.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Does anyone have faith Ubisoft can make good games anymore? Rainbox six siege is the only good thing they have going for them. And that zombie spin off they tried to sell was still a fucking insult and very poor.

I honestly think they should just make animated movies, since their gameplay trailers always impress (before the inevitable disappointment when you play the respective game).

Aldric

Does anyone have faith Ubisoft can make good games anymore?
No. Ancel leaving and them apparently shitcanning the Montpellier studio made me lose what little hope I had left. Their 2D UbiArt games like Rayman or Valiant Hearts were the last things resembling passion projects with a semblance of soul in them and I'm pretty sure we'll never see anything like that ever again.

Top Bottom