• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Tech Youtuber [Mrwhosetheboss] Exposes SCAM tactics in Mobile games

Sheesh....this is something.

What you have to understand about Big Youtuber like him is that they DON'T as in DO NOT bite the hand that feeds them. Mobile game companies love sponsoring ads on Youtube, especially Tech tubers.

So, even though I don't watch his content, I must commend him for this and we should also be ticked off by him too. I will explain.

We should commend him not for bashing mobile games as a form of gaming (this is to declare us from not blatantly causing a console war in this thread here) but rather reveal (expose) the addictive monetary tactics found in illegal drug addiction and gambling that have been INTENTIONALLY placed in mobile games.

As for being ticked off by him, it is us the gamers who have been preaching and announcing this bad tactic within mobile games, and yet the non-gaming community bats an eye at us.

he even breaks them down:

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I for one am grateful to learn that there are SCAM tactics in mobile games, I had no idea. I'll be watching out from now on, that's for sure.

(Didn't watch the video, and will not.)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Mobile gatcha games SCAMMING PEOPLE!

No Way What GIF by Big Brother

Wow pokémon unite is a trash pay to win game infact (i never played it because is not available in Belgium) and i don't understand why everyone have spitted on Diablo immortal and nobody spitted on this trash game...

Housh

I will admit that a big influencer getting the message out to masses is better than nothing. God forbid the education system teaches the hook method during health class when they go over drug/alcohol addiction.

VN1X

Banned

What you have to understand about Big Youtuber like him is that they DON'T as in DO NOT bite the hand that feeds them. Mobile game companies love sponsoring ads on Youtube, especially Tech tubers.

So, even though I don't watch his content, I must commend him for this and we should also be ticked off by him too. I will explain.

We should commend him not for bashing mobile games as a form of gaming (this is to declare us from not blatantly causing a console war in this thread here) but rather reveal (expose) the addictive monetary tactics found in illegal drug addiction and gambling that have been INTENTIONALLY placed in mobile games.

As for being ticked off by him, it is us the gamers who have been preaching and announcing this bad tactic within mobile games, and yet the non-gaming community bats an eye at us.

GAMERS RISE UP!

WE ARE THE REAL GAMERS!!1

Bragr

Banned
Youtube thumbnail scamming is a thing too, overly dramatic thumbnails with shocked expressions and dramatic headlines. It's purely to trick you.

"You will die if you don't pay", man fuck off with this shit. This guy is 100% scamming to get views as well.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This guy is so weird,hes like a somewhat legit channel but he presents his videos in the most obnoxious ways with the titles and thumbnails
Yeah that's the irony, you have to do those shitty looking thumbnails, or those red circles around something that isn't actually something etc to hit it big on youtube as a talking head. You've gotta pretend that oh gosh golly I'm gonna have to talk about my sponsor but luckily I love it anyway, figure out as many ways that you can ask people to subscribe, make challenges on subscriber numbers or views of videos etc etc.

Only paid for a dirty MTX mobile game when I was 12 years younger and I deeply regret doing it

Was this stupid game where you fly a plane and shoot people on the ground

I just used to play it on the toilet to waste time at work in the office. What the fuck was I thinking

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Inviusx

I mean he's not saying anything new here but if his channel has a younger demographic it will hopefully turn some of them away from this garbage. Good on him!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When someone has to go out of their way to get your attention (anything from obnoxious social media people or people knocking on your door to sell you some crappy thing), just avoid them. They are basically doing the last ditch attempt for sales and attention.

Filben

Satire for my fellow German speakers:

This is most certainly nothing new for us here and other educated gamers, but it's still funny as hell how Böhmermann mocks the practices and YouTubers, and makes satire within his satire.

Last edited:

SegaShack

Wow guys we all need to commend him! Wow! No one's ever had this thought before!

Everyone, alert your local news paper, mobile games are actually there to take money from people.

Breaking news! This same youtuber just told me that corporations only care about money! Wow! 2 revelations in one day.

We need to commend this man because he's speaking up about what hundreds of millions of people already know. How commendable! Wow!

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It's only positive that a channel that big mentions this kind of stuff, we, boomers, may know what F2P, Gacha and GaaS do, but kids that may stumble on this video may get some insight, whether they care or not is another story, after all it's Papa's money and not theirs.
Because we Boomers were taught the power of critical thinking and analysis either by our parents or at school. We also grew up before social media and we know life goes on perfectly fine without Facebook or Twitter.

Audrey Whitby Reaction GIF by AwesomenessTV

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ehh, it's easy to dunk on the guy for pointing out that water is wet, but if it helps get more people away from this stuff, more power to him.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man this video is overwhelmingly obnoxious to watch with the constant moving around and zooming in and out.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Man this video is overwhelmingly obnoxious to watch with the constant moving around and zooming in and out.
The content of his videos is good.
But its so heavily over produced it makes it hard to watch....i end up going to another tab so I just hear what hes saying instead of seeing all the over production he puts into his videos.
I hated Youtube for jumpcuts, but I think this trend of over producing videos might be even more annoying to actually watch.

Gamers Nexus is like my gold standard for tech youtubers.
Just give me the info, inject whatever personality you want but dont flash a whole bunch of graphics zoom in zoom out, scene change, travel to frikken spain to capture a 1 minute segment, stand in from of buckingham palace to say one sentence, then literally jump back in your seat for the final word.
Dude.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Whether or not you already know mobile games are a scam, a channel with the reach of mrwhosetheboss is definitely good for spreading the message. Contrary to what people on GAF tell you, the vast majority of people DON'T know that mobile games are a scam, especially parents and kids. More people knowing about this shit is a good thing

Last edited:
Oh great ,another youtuber with the same generic "lootbox bad" take. As if there weren't enough of those already. Look those things have existed for years, and will continue to exist for the foreseeable future. As long as devs make tremendous money from lootboxes and subscriptions in games, they will continue to put them in games and gamers who have spent countless sums of money in them, will continue to do so. One youtubers take, won't change a devs' outlook on the situation and it won't sway a lootbox gambling gamer away from his/her lootbox gambling habit. Many youtubers have tried, none have succeeded. MRWTB's take won't do jack shit either. Best get used to MT's & Lootboxes, they're big money makers and are thus not going away anytime soon.

Last edited:
Nice channel promotion , I thought this was known for the last 4 5 years
The fucker didn't researched this properly he doesn't know what diablo immortal is when it comes to hook hobby hobbit

Top Bottom