• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIONICLE: Masks of Power Gameplay Preview (Fan Game Built in Unreal Engine 5)

Shifty

iu

I would have jumped out of my seat seeing this as a kid.

Tams

Gold Member
I'll be honest, I came here to shit on this, but just got a faceful of nostalgia.

I looks pretty good, despite the clearly stock assets. I will say that the combat looks rarher 'detached'; it doesn't feel like they are hitting each other, just hitboxes.

Why companies don't back/get involved with passion projects like this to a retail release is beyond me. Clearly they're not hurting the brand, quite the opposite.

Tams

Gold Member
Why companies don't back/get involved with passion projects like this to a retail release is beyond me. Clearly they're not hurting the brand, quite the opposite.

Because too often it turns out that the person who made it isn't fit to or capable of making an entire game.

And often they are opinionated about it because of their passion for it. This often does not go well with business decisions and deadlines.

Because too often it turns out that the person who made it isn't fit to or capable of making an entire game.

And often they are opinionated about it because of their passion for it. This often does not go well with business decisions and deadlines.

I get that but if the company is making nothing of note, why not back a little cash or resources to see something across the line and promote your brand/community at the same time. When was the last Bionicle game? 2003. A passion project of even 5 to 10 years at this sort of quality can have some team support for the missing talent, just leave the person/people running the passion project in charge with some stipulations. Editor vs content creator sort of thing.

CamHostage

Well, kudos to a fan-game studio actually making a game with the engine. That's a rarity... might actually even be a first for me.

Looks like a fan game, of course, but they're a talented bunch in certain fields (UE and the Marketplace are doing the heavy lifting, of course, but it's better than I can do for whatever I'm a fan of, that's for certain.) Could use some improvements in the combat mechanics, as has been mentioned, but all the hits are working and there's logic to the moves and contact. So good work so far.

...and because if they put out a call for designers to help for a team for their project, or put out a video of a fan-game with no brand that people could be fans of, who would care?

I imagine in due time, they'll get a cease-and-desist, pull the brand off of it, change the robot designs slightly, and continue on as an original creation called like Roboticle: Masks of Power...

mortal

Gold Member
Now that's impressive work for a fan project.

Combat looks a little clunky but overall very solid.

Banned
this is one of the only UE4/5 fan projects that actually doesn't look or come across as complete shit.

the fighting system look very bare bones so far but the mask switching and having different Bionicles opens a lot of doors for further development.

the fighting system they have there is already better than the ones in 90% of western action games,
given that the attacks don't seem to be context sensitive nonsene or use random animations without any clear pattern like most western games do nowadays.

Top Bottom