• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock 4 Might Be PlayStation Exclusive According to Leak

sircaw

Banned
this is fantastic news,

As long as the game is more like one or two and definitely nowhere like three, i will be playing it.

I am getting my ps4 pro ready "lollipop_disappointed:

Sony’s Worldwide studios and and Microsoft studio do develop games lol??
Or they pay a non 1st party studio to make an IP owned by Sony or Microsoft?
What are you on about?

MS went and bought a publisher that already had a ton of established IP like Doom and Fallout.

I cant remember when Nintendo or Playstation has done a moneyhat like that lol
Nintendo and Sony don't have that Microsoft kinda paper

gamer82

I’d be down for another bit hope for a more horror sci-if style. Didn’t really like the last one. I’m down for a dead space or remastered collection.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
And when Sunset Overdrive 2 launches only on PlayStation keep the same energy
Why? According to this thread it would be fine because of the new made-up rule below.
If you are actually funding the creation of the game itself and make/lose money depending on how that game preforms, you are allowed to do whatever you want regarding exclusivity.
Basically anything that makes the Bethesda deal look good for Xbox is allowed.

Next Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Elder Scrolls were all already planned and in production way before March 2021. Starfield for 4+ years so it doesn't even fit anyway. They were not part of the creative process at all. Tokyo Olympics in here.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

If you are actually funding the creation of the game itself and make/lose money depending on how that game preforms, you are allowed to do whatever you want regarding exclusivity.

Sony has no real connection to the development of Bioshock 4 if it is just a timed exclusive. They just hand some cash out and say fuck you to anyone on a different system. It is a dirty and shitty practice regardless of who does it.
Is your name Reed Richards? Because, that's one hell of a stretch.

Dr Kaneda

None of that really matters. Sony bought some studios, they make games for Sony. MS bought some too. Just that the Bethesda purchase is fresh in everyone's mind.

Sony hasn't made shit, their bought studios make their games. They've just had good success in getting good results from their acquisitions.
Of course it matters. Since it's 1st game released in 1996 Insomniac went 16 years and 16 straight games all released on ONLY Sony consoles. It's audience was ONLY playstation users.

MS have bought a studio/s that for their entire histories, across multiple decades, have released loads multiplatform games and built up a massive multiplatform audience. You're a spacker if you can't see the difference.

I mean it's fair game, MS can 100% do what they want and it's a good strategy but to say the two are the same is moronic.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This will justify their purchase of Take-Two this coming Wednesday.
Was thinking the same thing.

I said in another thread Xbox should acquire Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics and leave the rest of SE, but now I'm thinking they should buy ALL of SE. Even though I can't stand Japanime games there are a lot of people wanting them on Xbox and buying the entire company will prevent Sony from more future moneyhats.

Kilau

Gold Member
Was thinking the same thing.

I said in another thread Xbox should acquire Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics and leave the rest of SE, but now I'm thinking they should buy ALL of SE. Even though I can't stand Japanime games there are a lot of people wanting them on Xbox and buying the entire company will prevent Sony from more future moneyhats.
Anytime Sony tries to buy exclusivity, MS just swoops in and buys the whole studio or publisher.

Imagine how different gaming would be now if MS had that approach from the start.

Is a Bioshock without Ken Lavine even that exciting of a franchise? It's not like Bioshock 2 set the world on fire. And if this rumor is true it's dumb, because moneyhatting games solely to keep them off another platform doesn't help any gamers unless they're the losers who need to participate in list wars to feel validated about which plastic box they bought.

And no, comparing these types of deals to an acquisition is just fanboy nonsense, an acquisition actually tangibly effects the games and massively helps the studios via several ways (not needing to fundraise, being able to collaborate with other 1st party studios, and more time and resources), the games being exclusive is merely an unfortunate side-effect, not the main purpose of doing it. An acquisition actually benefits owners of that console because it helps the games be better, a moneyhat doesn't do that, even if the end result of no game on competing platforms is still there

I have a feeling most of the people complaining about the Bethesda acquisition or acting like it's the same as moneyhatting games like this would have no issue if Sony did it, and if your opinion of a decision depends on who is making the decision, then your opinion is worthless

Why? According to this thread it would be fine because of the new made-up rule below.

Basically anything that makes the Bethesda deal look good for Xbox is allowed.

Next Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Elder Scrolls were all already planned and in production way before March 2021. Starfield for 4+ years so it doesn't even fit anyway. They were not part of the creative process at all. Tokyo Olympics in here.

No you have it mixed up, anything that makes Sony's moneyhatting look good is allowed, if you think the vast majority of this thread or forum are xbox slanted then MAN are you incredibly Sony biased.

The "new made-up rule" is that the only thing that matters is who can play the game, not whether the games or studios benefit. Insomniac's games will benefit from being acquired, same with Bethesda's...... Final Fantasy or Bioshock 4 will not benefit from being paid a small amount with the sole intention of not allowing Xbox players to play them, and even if hypothetically those games are marginally better, the future games by those studios will not be improved by that deal. Equating the two is basically Sony fanboys trying to justify that practice because it's what Sony is doing. And I imagine the tables would turn if Xbox got exclusive Battlefield or something. Moneyhatting/timed exclusives are bad for consumers and bad for the industry and I feel the same way about every time Xbox does it too. Acquisitions are not moneyhatting

Loope

Ratchet has been a Playstation IP since the Start.

Bethesda has never done an exclusive game for XBox and Xbox hasnt built any of these IP’s ( Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Arkanes games, etc )...They just paid for a bunch of established IP’s. Thats a Moneyhat at the highest level lol.
Not the same at all

Probably because MS havent had much success making any relevant new IP’s of there own recently
I don't remember morrowind on the playstation, but i can be wrong though. I do remember playing it on pc and xbox.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Sony has no real connection to the development of Bioshock 4 if it is just a timed exclusive. They just hand some cash out and say fuck you to anyone on a different system. It is a dirty and shitty practice regardless of who does it.

This is ridiculous. lol.

They're both spending money to keep games off the other platform and build up their own platform. There's no way around it. This is just an excuse. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kokoloko85

Yes Morrowind was Xbox console exclusive. Todd Howard openly talked about how MS was instrumental to getting that game working on Xbox.

I have never heard the term 'money hat' when referencing a studio purchase only when denying a title on a competing platform for a limited time. 🤷🏾‍♂️

My point of money hat comes from the term buying a whole publishing team and its IP when not having anything to do with them.
Its not just a term for timed exclusives or video games in general.

Its 1 exclusive game and probably more to do with the PS2 not being able to play it with the tech. Its still Not an Ip made by MS, established by MS or anything like that.
Again Ms buying Bethesda is like Sony buying Insomniac and having Naughty Dog.

Its more like if Sony went and Bought Square. They had a bunch of Square Exclusives, but they didnt make or own any of those Ips.

MrA

Banned
If they're funding a game that otherwise wouldn't be made, neat!
If they're money hatting a project in development, lame
If they're buying take 2 to keep them out of tencents hands... I can live with that
Or this is as real as the vita bioshock

Zeroing

Banned
If it's going to be as awful as infinite no big loss then
That’s the perfect example of escape from reality I expect from people who make console wars.
meanwhile we gamers lost a big gaming studio that was 3rd party
because MS for over 20 years wasn’t able to build or manage any.

can’t be surprised of the moneyhat from Sony. It’s the butterfly effect… MS done it and so on…

we gamers lose! Still everyone just thinks of all this as “team VS team” and it should be about “us” as one group - gamers.

kinjx11

Banned
Another 3rd party game that will barely sell 5million copies after 14 months of release because it's an exclusive on a console

Good ol' Sony blocking sales and tanking the studio

wolffy71

Banned
If Playstation can lock down a massive AAA game like Bioshock then, in my opinion of course, what's happening behind the scenes has to be more than just money.

The metrics they're presenting to publishers in order to make such deals happen must be stark.
And in contrast the metrics sony is presenting must be disappointing for all the 3rd party games that dont beco.e exclusives. That's how it works right?

No but closing a deal for a third party exclusive game is nothing new. You’re acting like it’s going to happen for the first time ever.
No i did not say that and no i don't think Bioshock will be PS5 excusive forever if it is gone to be exclsuive it will be timed anyone that has know anything about Take Two and their games knows this lol it no secret.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If this is true, it will be a big exclusivity partnership between Take-Two & Sony in recent times.

Imagine if there is also any truth behind the rumor that GTA 6 will launch as a PlayStation exclusive ... Sony will be drowning in money even if it costs them $100 million for just 6 months of exclusivity.

My point of money hat comes from the term buying a whole publishing team and its IP when not having anything to do with them.
Its not just a term for timed exclusives or video games in general.

Its 1 exclusive game and probably more to do with the PS2 not being able to play it with the tech. Its still Not an Ip made by MS, established by MS or anything like that.
Again Ms buying Bethesda is like Sony buying Insomniac and having Naughty Dog.

Its more like if Sony went and Bought Square. They had a bunch of Square Exclusives, but they didnt make or own any of those Ips.
None of this changes the fact that Bethesda had a relationship with MS before Sony and they created an exclusive title on the Xbox before their multi-platform efforts years later. At the end of the day MS purchased a studio(s) and IP like Sony purchased studios and IP. The companies are not the same size so their purchases match the size of their respective companies.

This is still nothing like 'money hatting' an IP you don't own just to delay/deny it on other platforms. Sony did this with Destiny 1 and 2 and MS did this with Tomb Raider and GTA 4 DLC. It isn't good when any company does it.

Kokoloko85

None of this changes the fact that Bethesda had a relationship with MS before Sony and they created an exclusive title on the Xbox before their multi-platform efforts years later. At the end of the day MS purchased a studio(s) and IP like Sony purchased studios and IP. The companies are not the same size so their purchases match the size of their respective companies.

This is still nothing like 'money hatting' an IP you don't own just to delay/deny it on other platforms. Sony did this with Destiny 1 and 2 and MS did this with Tomb Raider and GTA 4 DLC. It isn't good when any company does it.

Sure thing. MS buying Bethesda was just like Sony buying Insomniac and Naughty dog lol. Is that what you want to hear?

Having 1 console exclusive And that IP not being owned by MS is the same as having decades worth of Exclusive IP owned by Sony.... totally the same thing lol...

Lets play make believe as you guys cant understand the difference and what Im saying.

Money hat can be a variety of things, its not just what you think?
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=money%2bhat&amp=true

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't think I can find it in me to give a fuck about a Bioshock game without Ken Levine.

mckmas8808

Banned
I have a ps5. That’s not the point, here. Timed exclusives are just bad for gamers, in general. The negative it brings far outweights the positive, for gamers. This turn it’s in your favor, the next it may not, screwing you for a year. Since not that many gamers will actually want to cough up $500+ because a game’s ‘’delayed’’ for a year, but only for your team (if you only have one console). Ain’t nobody’s ever gonna convince me timed exclusives are good for gamers, but you’re welcome to try if you have the need for it

My point is Microsoft buying Zenimax/Bethesda is also screwing me for life of those games (unless I get a gaming PC or an Xbox Series console). So I don't see how you view permanent exclusives as things that are good for gamers, but timed exclusives as being bad for gamers.

mckmas8808

Banned

Do you seriously think MS has\had a big hand in creating Starfield? Like come on bro. I could understand games that are "now" in pre-production, but Starfield isn't one of those games. And I doubt Elder Scrolls 6 is either. I'm willing to bet that Bethesda has already spent 10s of million of dollars on ES6. And again if a company like Sony says to Take Two that they'll be willing to fund half of the budget of a game, PLUS marketing cost you better believe they "DESERVE" to have some form of exclusivity of the game in some ways.

Be it first dibs on add-on content, full game release, etc.

Kiraly

If this is true, it will be a big exclusivity partnership between Take-Two & Sony in recent times.

Imagine if there is also any truth behind the rumor that GTA 6 will launch as a PlayStation exclusive ... Sony will be drowning in money even if it costs them $100 million for just 6 months of exclusivity.

GTA V sold 11 million copies in a single day and generated $1 billion in sales after just three. All at a time gaming was much smaller than it is today.

"$100 million" lmao

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
GTA V sold 11 million copies in a single day and generated $1 billion in sales after just three. All at a time gaming was much smaller than it is today.

"$100 million" lmao
I actually meant to write $300 million and wrote $100 million by mistake.

Either way, the point is that Sony would be paying for the amount of copies they won't be able to sell on Xbox (Rockstar doesn't release games on PC day one anyway, so it's Xbox and PlayStation for them). Even at $100 million, that's roughly 1.5 million copies. The avg. sales split is usually 75:25 in favor of PS, at least recently.

Yeah, $100 million won't be enough, but $300 million might be. And Sony can recover that cost if they sell 15 million copies. Any MTX sales would be on top of that.

Anyway, it's an old rumor that I was speculating on.

Starhowl

I don't know who's buying this, but I am not. My prediction instead: Bioshock 4 is going to be like omnipresent on all systems instead. :pie_raybans:

Top Bottom