• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and You: Navigating the Future of Tech (a NeoGAF discussion thread)

bigedole

I turned a 10K investment into well over 100K in less than a month. I'd like to claim I was an expert but it was all dumb luck. Lost quite a bit during the January crash but I'm still in the high 90Ks. I can't cash out because it'll bump my tax bracket and I don't have the money to pay short-term gains taxes on my profits. Aint that some shit GAF

How can you not have the money to pay short term gains on your profits? You'll have 90k, of which you'll owe 20-25k in tax, so you'll have 65-70k left...

I turned a 10K investment into well over 100K in less than a month. I'd like to claim I was an expert but it was all dumb luck. Lost quite a bit during the January crash but I'm still in the high 90Ks. I can't cash out because it'll bump my tax bracket and I don't have the money to pay short-term gains taxes on my profits. Aint that some shit GAF
What did you invest in?

Speaking of which, what are some of the most promising alt-coins currently?

TBiddy

Depends what you're looking for. If the prospect of doubling your investment in a short time is what you're looking for, you could take a look at some of the penny coins. But be aware, though, that this is not much better than gambling. If you're looking for something more long-term, you could take a look at AMB, MOD, VEN, WTC, ICX or some of the other established coins. NEO, XLM and XRB are also getting hyped.

As always, do your own research. Find a project that has a product, that you think has potential and decide if you want to invest in it.

Personally I'm bullish on CND, since they have an actual working product, coupled with apps for iOS and Android and a lot of potential to grow.

As a total n00b wanting to dip the toe in the crypto world, what would be the best Babby's First Wallet?

To be honest, I think wallets are overrated, unless you're investing large sums. Sure, it'd suck if someone hacked your exchange of choice and ran away with your coins, but still.

Sàmban

Banned
How can you not have the money to pay short term gains on your profits? You'll have 90k, of which you'll owe 20-25k in tax, so you'll have 65-70k left...
Yeah, I should clarify. I owe a little over that much in student + auto loans so if I cash out at the short term gains rate, I don't actually "make" any money. I want to sell at a decently positive net-worth; enough to maybe put a decent downpayment on property I can rent out or something. Idk wtf I'm doing honestly.

What did you invest in?

I "invested" about 10k in ripple at ~0.25 cents and sold when it was ~$1. Then bought roughly 40k worth of raiblocks with the profits at $3. Raiblocks blew up into a bull run. I was literally shitting my pants everyday at the thought of losing all that money in a potential crash. I couldn't take it anymore and sold at about $10. Raiblocks eventually ended up at like $30 before crashing to $15. Got pissed that I sold too early, so bought back and spread it all out into XLM, XRP, XRB, ARK, ICX, REQ and ETH. Bought pretty much all of those at new ATHs so I got heavily burned. Now I'm hovering in the high 90s. Hopefully I'll break into the 100s again soon.

To be honest, I think wallets are overrated, unless you're investing large sums. Sure, it'd suck if someone hacked your exchange of choice and ran away with your coins, but still.

Lol it's funny you say this when someone stole like half a billion dollars from an exchange last week. This is terrible advice regardless of how much you have. Get a wallet and get your shit off the exchanges.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Lol it's funny you say this when someone stole like half a billion dollars from an exchange last week. This is terrible advice regardless of how much you have. Get a wallet and get your shit off the exchanges.

Yes, and the other day someone was forced to transfer bitcoins from his wallet. Get your shit of the wallets! Unless we're talking large sums (like yours), wallets are more or less pointless.

Last edited:

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Wallets are a much safer option than exchanges. Some people need to have all their crypto stolen before they realize this simple truth. Be smart enough to forgo that painful lesson.
Yes, and the other day someone was forced to transfer bitcoins from his wallet. Get your shit of the wallets! Unless we're talking large sums (like yours), wallets are more or less pointless.
People can be forced to do anything under duress. So while being mugged it makes little difference if your funds are in a wallet or on an exchange, but most stolen crypto doesn't happen in person. It's someone sitting in front of a computer on the other side of the world making a living off of idiots who think it won't ever happen to them. Don't keep a balance on an exchange that you're not prepared to lose.

TBiddy

Wallets are a much safer option than exchanges. Some people need to have all their crypto stolen before they realize this simple truth. Be smart enough to forgo that painful lesson.

People can be forced to do anything under duress. So while being mugged it makes little difference if your funds are in a wallet or on an exchange, but most stolen crypto doesn't happen in person.

I was merely pointing out, that nowhere is safe. I've seen people recommend Wallet-apps, so you can carry it around on your phone.. which seems silly, to be quite honest.

If you're investing 500$, I'd say that the hassle of acquiring a wallet, transferring the coins (keep in mind, that there's a fee to withdraw your coins in most cases) and keeping the wallet safe is too much work. But each to his own, of course.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Right, so...

1) The most annoying part of trading in the crypto space is typically the conversion between fiat and crypto. Depending on where you live that could be a taxable event, your bank could have a prob with it, bank transfers to and fro can take days (an eternity in the crypto trading world), etc.

2) The crypto market is almost entirely pegged to Bitcoin to some degree. Meaning, on a good day 1000 cryptos will increase in value, and on a bad day 1000 cryptos will decrease in value. What do you do when you want to day trade crypto, buy low and sell high?

3) Typically the crypto exchanges that trade the smaller market cap tokens don't accept fiat deposits at all. Their trading pairs are mainly between bitcoin and the altcoin in question (and more recently ethereum trading pairs have emerged)

Enter: Tether, aka USDT, aka Monopoly Money. It's pegged to the US Dollar, so when you're holding crypto and the market is up, you can move your holdings to Tether and retain your gains instead of losing your position when the entire crypto market downswings at the same time. And because it's not really the US Dollar, there aren't any regulations for it and crypto exchanges can trade it and utilize it freely.

The problem, of course, is that Tether is NOT ACTUALLY THE US DOLLAR. Allegedly Tether is backed 1:1 with USD as more Tether is "printed" and released into the market to support the volume of crypto trading occurring, but to my knowledge there's no real evidence of this being true. At any point this can and probably will all come crashing down, and awareness of just how sketchy and precarious the whole Tether situation is is finally being paid attention to in the general crypto space.

^^

Annnnnnnnnd here we go (links care of /r/Cryptocurrency):

"U.S. Regulators Subpoena Crypto Exchange Bitfinex, Tether" - Bloomberg

"Bitfinex and Tether said to be subpoenaed by CFTC" - ForexLive

"Cryptocurrency exchange Bitfinex reportedly subpoenaed by top regulator" - Business Insider

"Bitcoin crashes anew as Bitfinex, Tether probed" - Macro Business

"Regulators subpoena Tether and Bitfinex" - Mashable

"Report: CFTC Sends Subpoenas to Bitfinex, Tether" - CoinDesk

"Why Tether's Collapse Would Be Bad for Cryptocurrencies" - WIRED

"Financial regulators subpoena major bitcoin exchange: report" - The Hill

"Bitfinex, Tether Get Subpoenas From US Regulators" - CoinTelegraph

"Tether and Bitfinex Crypto Companies Subpoenaed by U.S. Regulators" - Investopedia

"CFTC Looking Into Bitfinex and Tether As Digital Tokens Face Scrutiny" - NASDAQ

"Tether Reportedly Subpoenaed by CFTC" - ETH News

bigedole

So apparently this subpoena was issued back on Dec 6th. Dunno if this is just old news making the rounds or if something actionable is taking place...

Is there anything worthwhile I could mine on a gtx 770 assuming I have access to free electricity and 24/7 operation? Worthwhile to me is $100 a year in this scenario.

So apparently this subpoena was issued back on Dec 6th. Dunno if this is just old news making the rounds or if something actionable is taking place...
It's new news because I don't believe it was known before... Generally, I think in the US subpoenas from courts are public record, and you can find them digitally or at least through a courthouse request. But, ... and I'm not American and my law is mostly just supplementary commercial (civil) law, so I'm not too sure ... but I think that because the subpoena was a discovery subpoena rather than a trial subpoena, and especially because it was from a regulator rather than a judge, then it's not made private and sent only from the regulatory to the discovery party.

So it's new now because someone leaked it. I think it was Bloomberg that broke the news and it had an 'unnamed source familiar with the matter.' Coincidentally, the day before the parties also broke off with their auditor. So, the plausible leak source could be an insider (either within the parties or maybe with the frustrated auditor?) that, upon seeing the audit end, decided to leak the subpoena to Bloomberg. I guess...

Could just be coincidence but since it was a leak you gotta assume some timely intention.

trew

Neo Member
Is it worth investing now since the prices have tanked? Or should I hold on hoping the prices tank even more?

Is it worth investing now since the prices have tanked? Or should I hold on hoping the prices tank even more?

it could go down further, but as much as everything has already gone down today chances are you could buy just about anything and a few months from now you will have made a profit, as long as it isn't some scam that completely dies like bitconnect. as of this post the total market cap is 489 billion, it has reached over 800 billion and I expect at some point in 2018 it will hit a trillion. I think once people start putting new money into the market from Robinhood we could see the market take a jump back up. The crazy thing is even when we have days like this where the market tanks there is always some random stupid coin that no one would have ever thought to invest in that would have more than doubled your money. Like right now almost everything is red but there is some coin called "bunnycoin" that has gone up over 200% in the past 24 hours

Depends what you're looking for. If the prospect of doubling your investment in a short time is what you're looking for, you could take a look at some of the penny coins. But be aware, though, that this is not much better than gambling. If you're looking for something more long-term, you could take a look at AMB, MOD, VEN, WTC, ICX or some of the other established coins. NEO, XLM and XRB are also getting hyped.

As always, do your own research. Find a project that has a product, that you think has potential and decide if you want to invest in it.

Personally I'm bullish on CND, since they have an actual working product, coupled with apps for iOS and Android and a lot of potential to grow.

Yeah, I've previously invested into some of the penny coins and have had success with them. Since they are a lot like gambling, I didn't invest in them heavily and thus the returns are small.

CND seems a good candidate for what I'm looking for: a working product that has a potential.
Any other similar alt-coins with hype surrounding them?

bigedole

This is going to sound unreasonable but can we please not have posts like this in this discussion? I love the cryptocurrency subreddit but there is SO much shilling that goes on there, and if someone wanders into this topic just hoping to learn about crypto or read discussion among GAF members on their thoughts regarding the space and different coins, I really don't want them to come across these "This one is going to go up 10x!" type of posts. If you had just left out the last half sentence, I would've gone on my merry way, but it definitely triggered me :p Maybe we can nip it in the bud quickly. I'm happy to discuss performance of coins and speculation, but this is just straight shilling.

EDIT: Removed my quote of the original post as it looks like it was removed.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This is going to sound unreasonable but can we please not have posts like this in this discussion? I love the cryptocurrency subreddit but there is SO much shilling that goes on there, and if someone wanders into this topic just hoping to learn about crypto or read discussion among GAF members on their thoughts regarding the space and different coins, I really don't want them to come across these "This one is going to go up 10x!" type of posts. If you had just left out the last half sentence, I would've gone on my merry way, but it definitely triggered me :p Maybe we can nip it in the bud quickly. I'm happy to discuss performance of coins and speculation, but this is just straight shilling.

Agreed.

shpankey

not an idiot
Rejoice everyone, because I cashed out today this definitely means a huge jump is imminent! Lol

Mine is only temporary and as soon as I find a new bank to work through I’m doubling down. But I’m sure it will cost me much more. Just my luck. 😉

Last edited:

bigedole

Lot of people get caught up in what ifs with crypto investing. Perspective is totally warped. Most investors are floored by how well Amazon's stock has performed since last summer, but at 40% in 6ish months, no one would be happy about that in the crypto world :)

prag16

Banned
Man, I'd be wary of this stuff. All speculation driven, and no intrinsic value. And not always easy to convert to actual currency. Just don't see how any of these coins will ever truly become a viable medium of exchange. And if they don't, they'll all return eventually to their intrinsic value: Zero.

Right now they're only a real medium of exchange to any significant degree among criminals. Regulators are already getting involved in some countries. The SEC and / or CFTC won't sleep on these forever.

Whole thing is kind of baffling to me. Exhibits many qualities of a pyramid scheme. In order for anyone to cash out and take profits, it always requires a steady stream of new investors coming in willing to pay more and more for the coins. Lots of red flags. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out over the coming months/years.

A crypto become a viable means of exchange I think, if it's possible in the short run, assumes piggybacking off a current one. Sort of the way Acxsys Corporation operates Interac e-transfers in Canada, or if if one major processor such as Visa or PayPal or Apple Pay came together with Amazon -- either on their own blockchain or their own exchange. Personally, it's why I don't expect any current decentralized CC to become a virtual-FIAT, and why they won't use a centralized one when they can just create their own and control the supply/volatility.

It's also just an infrastructure challenge, and consider how long it's taking the different forks and parties involved in Bitcoin to get where it's at. It would take years and years for others to catch up, and even Bitcoin or Cash are nowhere near it. So instead of one of them successfully getting their payment processing and adoption to that point, I think that's why instead of a blockchain coin catching up its payment systems, it'll be a payments systems institution that just adopts blockchain to it -- much lower barrier of resistance.

Is why I sort of expect that if a crypto becomes a more common form of payment it'll be a new centralized one in partnership between a major institution like that; and, any of the original decentralized cryptos will remain in virtual-asset (rather than fiat) territory. One of them could become more accepted as payment much later, piggybacking off the first centralized one, but I think it'll be a centralized one with controlled volatility that does it first because the thing that interests institutions the most about cryptocurrencies for payments and transfers, is not the decentralized nature, but just the blockchain ledger, and the way it allows them to evolve past current payment or transfer interbank networks like Interac or SWIFT.

PSYGN

Yeah, I've already taken out my initial "investment". The rest is funny money to me, 1000% return in 6 months? lol. I put most of it into Ethereum and NEO early to mid last year. I guess I got lucky, but I researched them before I went in. I do think there are awesome ideas and technologies behind ETH and NEO, and obviously the blockchain idea in general, but whether it gets adopted and used is the big question. All spec driven. As other users have mentioned companies will likely take the good parts of the blockchain idea and roll their own flavor. I'm going to HODL until next year, and if it doesn't crash by then I will be delighted for money I don't really feel I deserve; if it crashes hard before then I will see it as entertainment because I didn't lose any money.

Last edited:

Corrik

I don't know much but couldn't you put it into bonds and slowly withdraw it over time?

^I'm not American so maybe my tax understanding is off, but I think the IRS considers any trade a taxable event as of this year. So, selling BTC into USD to buy bonds, you'd have to pay capital gains on the BTC. Then, as of this year (and this is where the US is different than Canada or a lot of Europe, I think), even if you trade (not sell) the BTC to buy, say, ETH, you still need pay the capital gains on the BTC. The IRS decided any crypto sale or trade is a taxable event.

Fuser

Apologies no harm meant :)

I'm currently down on all coins I own, difficult to know if to just HODL or buy more and HODL. Should be an interesting year.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
*sigh* made $150 this week on crypto... wtf is going on. It's so easy, no wonder so many people are doing it. It's literally point and click free money printing. Remember as a kid, seeing those little "magical money printer" scams, then paying the $5 for the magical money printer, but it turned out to be a little roller thing that you had to put money in to fake print money out with? That's crypto. Only instead of fake money it prints out real litecoin or bitcoin which you can exchange for real money.

Graphics cards are fucked. We're all fucked. And I gurantee you a few years from now when some crazy journalist figures it all out, we're all simply laundering money for some big wig. It's the only way I think this whole thing could possibly make sense. There's no way. No fucking way I am contributing to any sort of economic activity otherwise.

TBiddy

If you ignore that a lot of the alt-coins have actual working products and use-cases, then sure, it could look like a big scam.

Nikodemos

If you ignore that a lot of the alt-coins have actual working products and use-cases, then sure, it could look like a big scam.
Which currencies are linked to actual products/software applications?
Somebody mentioned Cindicator (CND) earlier in the thread, and I think Ripple (XRP) also has some sort of actual software. Then there's stuff like PotCoin (POT) but I don't know how viable it is.

TBiddy

Which currencies are linked to actual products/software applications?
Somebody mentioned Cindicator (CND) earlier in the thread, and I think Ripple (XRP) also has some sort of actual software. Then there's stuff like PotCoin (POT) but I don't know how viable it is.

I think most (if not all) have some form of use-case. How many that are actually ready for use, I can't tell you. Modum, Ambrosus, ICON, IOTA and others are almost ready to launch, as far as I know. There's also some listed here:

But that said, there's no doubt in my mind, that a bunch of the coins/token will crash and burn in the near future, when people start to realise, that there's no actual value behind it.

bigedole

It's all a big hope right now. It's just like the dotcom bubble. Lots of new startups with big ideas, but no one can really predict which ones will pan out so they invest in everything. Lots of money is pumped into the market, lots of newly formed companies with no working product bloat in value from these investments. Eventually, a significant number of the companies fail to deliver in any meaningful way, FUD causes investors to sell sell sell and the bubble bursts causing the market to collapse in a spectacular crash.

Now replace startups with blockchains and it's the exact same thing. Anyone saying there's no intrinsic value isn't really making an honest effort to understand what's going on. Just like google and amazon survived the dotcom bubble, some awesome ideas are going to survive the blockchain bubble. There absolutely is real value in blockchain technology and I don't know why anyone would say otherwise. Like the poster said above me, a lot are going to crash and burn, but some are going to survive and if you happened to invest early in those, then welcome to the gravy train :p

prag16

Banned
I assume you're talking about some of the alt coins which are actually thinly veiled startups posing (in a sense) as coins so that they can raise capital for their "companies" without having to go through the trouble of going to VCs or listing publicly, etc etc, or even incorporating as a company or an LLC... Are regulators going to let that continue?

As for block chain technology, of course there will be great applications that come out of this. When I say "no intrinsic value" I'm talking about the "coins" as a prospective medium of exchange. That's not going to happen on any significant scale. Certainly not in their current form and/or any time soon. It's purely a speculative bubble, just like .com. Doesn't mean great stuff didn't rise from those ashes; that can happen here too with block chain. But before that happens a lot of people are going to lose their shirts.

I have been reading about exchanging sites. all of them have people who lost their money due to hacks, or investors got their accounts closed, frozen (Coindesk) without proper explanations, usually exchange sites let them deposit money, but they don't let them withdraw their money.

Kraken(some review sites list this is as one of the best exchange site, what a joke) is also a shit hole, the same thing, money and coins missing, buggy laggy website, no customer support.

How do you make money of cryptocurrency when the exchange sites are predators to hunt people's money? Decentralized trade sites maybe? If I read positive reviews about these centralized exchange sites , they doesn't seem genuine at all, most of the time, it looks like someone ordered them from Fiverr. Binance, Bitfinex with the Tether fiasco, Coinmama.... All of them looks like scummy attempt to get your money.

Last edited:

Harlock

2020 going to be interesting, in a way or another.

LCPrvUe.gif

bigedole

Hopefully no one's in a position where their financial well being rests on whether or not they sell their crypto. Gotta HODL and ride it out!

Corrik

The number 1 upvoted message on reddits crypto currency Reddit was the suicide hotline. (As of a week or so ago). And that was when bitcoin was at like 12k. I think it is what 8k now?

bigedole

I definitely feel bad for anyone who bought BTC at 19k because I get the feeling the community is moving away from BTC and towards ETH, but BTC will always have the recognition of being first so it's not impossible it can keep going up, but I'm certainly not one of those people who see it going to 100k. The real opportunity is trying to figure out what will be this year's Ethereum. I think Ethereum will be like BTC last year and have substantial growth (and I do believe the flippening is upon us within the next 2-3 months), but there will be something else that grows much more and challenge's Eth's position by the end of the year.

Top Bottom