• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and You: Navigating the Future of Tech (a NeoGAF discussion thread)

jurassic park water GIF

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
A buddy just lost a minimum wage salary after his BTC shorts got liquidated and was very depressed earlier. I felt really bad since I know he really spends a lot of time doing TA and studying his positions. I am just dumb and hold.

Kinda similar to this dude, but my buddy isn’t this guy, he actually has a good day job that allows him to make these types of bets without really inflicting much risk on his long term net worth, but it hurts still.

Last edited:
guys don't forget the manna project

think this is the site

Currently site is on wait time, but when it is back online, they'll be giving everyone who registers free manna coins for life, I think.

Odysee also seems to be giving free LBRY coins to those who go there, it's like a youtube alternative. Have made like $1 after a few days of browsing and interacting in their platform.

There are also a lot of mines or devices coming into the market, after the helium escapades(Helium mine could do even $1700 and even in rare cases $4500+ a month while consuming $5 of electricity), I'm tempted to see the new mines in action like atmotube pro(atmotube pro generates about $2 in crypto with a price of $200, but currently sold out), dpn, and akash.

Would have tried some of the bitcoin ether asics, but they consume a ton of electricity, do a ton of noise, and they essentially become kinda outdated within a few years.

Last edited:

Irobot82

guys don't forget the manna project

think this is the site

Currently site is on wait time, but when it is back online, they'll be giving everyone who registers free manna coins for life, I think.

Odysee also seems to be giving free LBRY coins to those who go there, it's like a youtube alternative. Have made like $1 after a few days of browsing and interacting in their platform.

There are also a lot of mines or devices coming into the market, after the helium escapades(Helium mine could do even $1700 and even in rare cases $4500+ a month while consuming $5 of electricity), I'm tempted to see the new mines in action like atmotube pro(atmotube pro generates about $2 in crypto with a price of $200, but currently sold out), dpn, and akash.

Would have tried some of the bitcoin ether asics, but they consume a ton of electricity, do a ton of noise, and they essentially become kinda outdated within a few years.
Shitcoin peddling should be banned on GAF.

A buddy just lost a minimum wage salary after his BTC shorts got liquidated and was very depressed earlier. I felt really bad since I know he really spends a lot of time doing TA and studying his positions. I am just dumb and hold.

Kinda similar to this dude, but my buddy isn’t this guy, he actually has a good day job that allows him to make these types of bets without really inflicting much risk on his long term net worth, but it hurts still.

Watching a bit of that video. His stages of grief are fascinating. If his "gamble" paid off, he'd be broke again in a matter of time anyways.

godhandiscen

Watching a bit of that video. His stages of grief are fascinating. If his "gamble" paid off, he'd be broke again in a matter of time anyways.
Yeah, the guy even recognizes he is a little fish in a small pond and yet he assumes madman leverage.

Irobot82

Manna is free though, only need register once the system comes back online, LBRY is free too just need to go to a youtube alternative.

And mining shitcoins is quite profitable for some. Had you mined the doge shit during early days you'd have a few lambos right now.
The fact that the system isn't "online" says everything you need to know.

GamingKaiju

Eth has had a nice little bull rally the past few days that demand zone around $2k is proving to be very resilient. Hard to predict the next direction but I’m still very bullish overall.

A blockchain doesn't need downtime to upgrade. It softforks with the new upgrade and people accept the new chain. Only centralized systems go offline. It's a shitcoin.
Wasn't xrp also a centralized shizzat, isn't china doing centralized shit, you think dollar gonna survive mass printing( LOL ), likely fate of dollar is digital dollar, a centralized crypto you'll be paid in and use, probably one day not even paid with but actually given as Universal Basic Income.

Manna is a sacred name, maybe this won't have value despite taking a sacred name, but they did take a sacred name just like ether, the ether was never disproven it was only renamed to the quantum vacuum, they still searching for graviton the particle that transmits gravity.

In any case it is free, and there are trade offs between decentralization security and utility, as coin bureau says, the perfect crypto still eludes to a degree.

The government wants the poor to do tons of paperwork and beg year after year for scraps. That is evil, tons of homeless. They don't want to forgive debts, yet the lord's prayer says you should forgive debts to be forgiven your own.
Matthew 6:9-13 (ESV)[29]
"Pray then like this: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'"

Ellery

Wasn't xrp also a centralized shizzat, isn't china doing centralized shit, you think dollar gonna survive mass printing( LOL ), likely fate of dollar is digital dollar, a centralized crypto you'll be paid in and use, probably one day not even paid with but actually given as Universal Basic Income.

Why would the dollar not survive? And what would a digital dollar do compared to how paying works now?

Why would the dollar not survive? And what would a digital dollar do compared to how paying works now?
Digital dollar can survive uncontrolled inflation, physical dollar cannot. Debt is massive(due to uncontrolled printing and aid), and only way to reign in uncontrolled inflation is to increase interest rates at the top to take the excess money out of the system, but they say increased interest would affect US GOV DEBT MAKING IT UNTENABLE AND FORCING AUSTERITY ON US, thus it seems tough times ahead for the dollar, as FED raising interest rate is like sticking a knife at US heart, between a rock and hard place, unless I've been misinformed.

But the dollar might survive, who knows, all life is digital in nature, the world is digital, made up of digital information, which is why my digital information manipulation skills are so very very dangerous.

Last edited:

Ellery

Digital dollar can survive uncontrolled inflation, physical dollar cannot. Debt is massive(due to uncontrolled printing and aid), and only way to reign in uncontrolled inflation is to increase interest rates at the top to take the excess money out of the system, but they say increased interest would affect US GOV DEBT MAKING IT UNTENABLE AND FORCING AUSTERITY ON US, thus it seems tough times ahead for the dollar, as FED raising interest rate is like sticking a knife at US heart, between a rock and hard place, unless I've been misinformed.

But the dollar might survive, who knows, all life is digital in nature, the world is digital, made up of digital information, which is why my digital information manipulation skills are so very very dangerous.

I mean nowadays J Powell just types a digital number into a Computer to "print" money. They don't print all of that physically, do they?

Or do you mean that a digital dollar would actually be backed by something? If they can just increase the supply of digital dollar the same way they do now then it is the same fiat system kinda

Irobot82

99% of dollars are already digital. There is way less physical dollars.

The only thing the dollar on a blockchain will do is allow the government to monitor what people spend money on.

"which is why my digital information manipulation skills are so very very dangerous" - WTF ok Samurai! You know the way of the blade.

Last edited:
I mean nowadays J Powell just types a digital number into a Computer to "print" money. They don't print all of that physically, do they?

Or do you mean that a digital dollar would actually be backed by something? If they can just increase the supply of digital dollar the same way they do now then it is the same fiat system kinda
problem is if inflation comes out of control, a billion dollar bill would be problematic to print, you can do controlled burns and destruction if centralized, you can burn dollars out of existence and bring them into existence. Remnants of the physical system make it difficult to remove dollar from system without fed increasing interest at the top.

For example instead of taxes you could introduce a burn rate per transaction removing it as it moves

Last edited:

Ellery

problem is if inflation comes out of control, a billion dollar bill would be problematic to print, you can do controlled burns and destruction if centralized, you can burn dollars out of existence and bring them into existence. Remnants of the physical system make it difficult to remove dollar from system without fed increasing interest at the top.

For example instead of taxes you could introduce a burn rate per transaction removing it as it moves

Oh true. I think I have heard about some sort of expiration date linked to the Digital Yuan.

bigsnack

OOF, that sucks. With it being so easy to see when the seesaw gets lopsided, you simply can't afford to put this much risk on and hope to make it out alive.

Obviously all markets are manipulated to some degree. However, with fewer participants in the crypto space, it's just that much easier for the guys with the deeper pockets to wait for an opening and then crush the people that get a little too cocky.

Last edited:

Synless

gaf, help me learn how to buy into projects like this one: https://spores.app/

I usually only buy off exchanges like Binance.US or Coinbase. I need to figure out how to get into these low cap projects that are not listed.

gaf, help me learn how to buy into projects like this one: https://spores.app/

I usually only buy off exchanges like Binance.US or Coinbase. I need to figure out how to get into these low cap projects that are not listed.
Hey Synless Synless

For majority of the "low cap projects" you are talking about, they are generally either on Uniswap or BSC (Binance smart chain); in order to determine where you can buy the token you are looking for, check out the token on CoinGecko. By searching for your SPO (spores.app token) on CoinGecko you can see here:
Kep4Bp1.png

You can see circled in red that it is an etherum contract, so it would be traded on Uniswap. This means you will need to install MetaMask on your browser, create an eth wallet and fund it.

Below you can see which exchange has the most volume for whatever token your looking for; As you can see below, the only exchange for SPO is currently Uniswap (Note: Always ignore they first two exchanges, they are sponsored ads and will appear regardless if the token you are looking for is listed there)
0vqwQAJ.png

Let me know if you need a hand setting up Metamask, but there's are plenty of guides for this online

Synless

Hey Synless Synless

For majority of the "low cap projects" you are talking about, they are generally either on Uniswap or BSC (Binance smart chain); in order to determine where you can buy the token you are looking for, check out the token on CoinGecko. By searching for your SPO (spores.app token) on CoinGecko you can see here:
Kep4Bp1.png

You can see circled in red that it is an etherum contract, so it would be traded on Uniswap. This means you will need to install MetaMask on your browser, create an eth wallet and fund it.

Below you can see which exchange has the most volume for whatever token your looking for; As you can see below, the only exchange for SPO is currently Uniswap (Note: Always ignore they first two exchanges, they are sponsored ads and will appear regardless if the token you are looking for is listed there)
0vqwQAJ.png

Let me know if you need a hand setting up Metamask, but there's are plenty of guides for this online
Let me ask you this. I was researching this last night, setup my MetaMask account and purchased these tokens. I had to manually add the token as a unique token to my MetaMask account, I used the uniswap when I did it. I get an error saying “unable to load balance”. The only way I know the total of my tokens is through my Etherscan receipt.… what gives? I can’t get it to show I own any tokens.

Let me ask you this. I was researching this last night, setup my MetaMask account and purchased these tokens. I had to manually add the token as a unique token to my MetaMask account, I used the uniswap when I did it. I get an error saying “unable to load balance”. The only way I know the total of my tokens is through my Etherscan receipt.… what gives? I can’t get it to show I own any tokens.
Yeah I don't like that MetaMask cannot detect the contract itself and get added to your token list but I believe it is on their road map. You should be able to open MetaMask, add token, and use contract address from CoinGecko (See first picture in above post). After adding this contract during your add token step, it should fill out all other fields and then appear in your wallet.

Currently at work or I would share steps with my MetaMask :/

what's the best way to get into this? i'm in the UK and maybe i'm too old but the whole crypto thing confuses me. i read that some banks don't like if you put money into crypto. i seen one a while back that Barclays stopped payments to Binance. I've got a Barclays account. Also with Bank of Scotland.

i'm not looking to make money off it. i don't even know where i could spend coins but i want to check it out. won't put a lot of money into it but would be cool to have some coins.

what's the best way to get into this? i'm in the UK and maybe i'm too old but the whole crypto thing confuses me. i read that some banks don't like if you put money into crypto. i seen one a while back that Barclays stopped payments to Binance. I've got a Barclays account. Also with Bank of Scotland.

i'm not looking to make money off it. i don't even know where i could spend coins but i want to check it out. won't put a lot of money into it but would be cool to have some coins.
Not 100% sure as I am not in the UK, but I don't have friends in Europe who majority of them use either;
- Binance = Slightly sus exchange but the biggest market by volume & i've never had issues with it
- Coinbase = Most regulated (Just had an IPO a few months back, but has quite high fees unless you use coinbase pro
- Kraken = Also very reputable exchange, but I found the UI garbage and its aimed much more at institutional investors

Even some other reputable exchanges would be; crypto.com or like bitstamp. Goodluck and make sure to check out terms of service to find out if they are allowed in your country or not

Synless

Yeah I don't like that MetaMask cannot detect the contract itself and get added to your token list but I believe it is on their road map. You should be able to open MetaMask, add token, and use contract address from CoinGecko (See first picture in above post). After adding this contract during your add token step, it should fill out all other fields and then appear in your wallet.

Currently at work or I would share steps with my MetaMask :/
It had something to do with the phone app. I did it on my computer following your steps and it worked perfectly. Thank you!

GamingKaiju

Probably the last chance at this price for people to get in on Ether. Network upgrade coming in and the price has been on an impressive bull run considering all the BS Musk keeps tweeting out.

EDPrYce.png

Last edited:
Probably the last chance at this price for people to get in on Ether. Network upgrade coming in and the price has been on an impressive bull run considering all the BS Musk keeps tweeting out.

EDPrYce.png
Depends greatly upon how the rollout goes. There will definitely be movement. Whether it is positive or negative will be almost entirely dependent on the perception of how the rollout goes.

GamingKaiju

Depends greatly upon how the rollout goes. There will definitely be movement. Whether it is positive or negative will be almost entirely dependent on the perception of how the rollout goes.

True but I think Ether will be leaving this price range with the strong demand from the previous low of 1.8k. The market will move but it might too fast to get in again at such a good price.

godhandiscen

The last time my gains went supernova like this, we were 2-3 months away from the 2020 crash. Let’s see if history repeats itself.

Atm, I just keep looking at the number on my brokerage account to get a smile every other hour.

edit: lol I meant to make this post in the stock & options thread. But yeah, I feel we are about to hit an epic peak before another crash.

Last edited:

A got a token amount for fun after watching Max Kieser on RTuk.

Its a bit of fun indeed.

But from what I have seen of Max the point of crypto is to store value whilst fiat crashes and possibly replace / become currency.

If that is the case, why would you ever sell it?, unless it is just a stock to people who trust fiat or are people riding waves , cashing out and putting into assets like gold?

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
What's Plein?

A got a token amount for fun after watching Max Kieser on RTuk.

Its a bit of fun indeed.

But from what I have seen of Max the point of crypto is to store value whilst fiat crashes and possibly replace / become currency.

If that is the case, why would you ever sell it?, unless it is just a stock to people who trust fiat or are people riding waves , cashing out and putting into assets like gold?

You wouldn't. When everyone accepts Bitcoin or other crypto as payment you won't need fiat. But we're not there yet and probably never will be.

I hope nobody kept waiting on 20k - 25k BTC and that everyone got in around 30k.
I couldnt convince myself 30 was the bottomto stack, still expecting a 15-20 floor, but now an ath is looking more likely

i was very close to dumping in more at 30 too, if only it lingered another 2-4 weeks … oh well.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

Whatever is going on with Crypto it is definitely not retail
It isn’t. This is what is going on, took me a bit to realize it.

The senate pushed a bill that plans to add higher surveillance on crypto transactions and tax most parties involved at a higher rate.

This bill essentially defeats many of the purposes of crypto. The market is currently being manipulated by whales based on extremely bullish and bearish potential outcomes related to this bill.

I am thinking about cashing out a bit if the vote passes the senate as Biden has announced support for the bill which means that the vote on the house has also a high chance to go through.

The vote is today so expect to see another price inflection right after the vote is announced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom