• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin is a currency, rules US judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espresso

Banned
167578473.jpg

A judge in the United States has ruled that Bitcoin, a decentralised virtual currency, should be officially recognised as a form of money.

The landmark ruling opens the way for US regulators to sue a suspected fraudster, who is accused of misleading investors in a Bitcoin-based product he was selling.

It also mean transactions using the controversial online currency are now to be considered in the same way as other "real-world" currencies bought and sold in the US.

A document signed by US magistrate judge Amos L.Mazzant on 6 August details a US regulator's case against Trendon Shavers, the operator of a suspected "ponzi" or pyramid scheme. Mr Shavers sold Bitcoin investments online, offering artificially high interest rates.

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the body that polices securities markets, has charged Shavers, founder and operator of Bitcoin Savings and Trust (BTCST), with defrauding investors after it emerged that the Texan was offering returns of 7 per cent interest per week. In reality BTCST used money from new investors to pay the 'interest payments' of earlier backers.

According to the judge's letter, Shavers obtained 700,467 Bitcoins in principal investments from BTCST investors, worth approximately $4.6m at the time the investments were made.

Mr Shavers tried to claim that Bitcoins are not money and therefore not anything regulated by the US government, with no money changing hands. He contended that BTCST investments were therefore not real investments.

The SEC responded that these were indeed investments of money and therefore liable to US regulations, a decision with which the judge agreed. The ruling now makes Shavers's argument void and clears the way for a prosecution.

"Ponzi scheme operators often claim to have a tie to a new and emerging technology as a lure to potential victims," said Lori Schock, director of the SEC's Office of Investor Education and Advocacy, speaking to CoinDesk, a news website covering digital currencies.

Bitcoins can be bought and sold using an online exchange. The currency was created as a peer-to-peer online currency which people could exchange to pay for products and services. Bitcoins can also be changed for conventional currency, without the need for regulation from a central bank or government.

Speaking to the Independent, Jon Matonis, Executive Director of the Bitcoin Foundation, a body which promotes the use of such cryptographic money, said, "The ruling is interesting because it highlights the fact that Bitcoin is becoming recognised as commodity money in the same way that gold and silver are currently recognized as money.

"This commodity money classification is appropriate because the International Organization for Standardization recognizes gold, silver, platinum, and palladium as non-national units that do not require the backing of any third-party institution.

"It is looking like Bitcoin will soon be [considered the same way], which will become more important as global foreign exchange dealers adopt bitcoin as a trading unit on their existing electronic platforms."​

Source: The Independent

SJRB

Gold Member
Paving the way for bitcoins to be taxable, as laughable as that endeavor will end up being.

This is exactly what it is. Dutch government is also franticly looking for a way to make Bitcoin an official currency so it will be taxable.

It's pathetic.

Why is that pathetic? Why should it not be taxed?

Libertarians and those looking to make a quick buck are the only people that actually bother with bitcoin. You can certainly see why they'd be pissed at bitcoins being taxed.

I wonder if this will take off in the near future.

The way bitcoin is set up, it is basically impossible for anyone new to the game to get in. Speculators have ruined the currency from the sounds of it. Mining is hardly profitable anymore.

bounchfx

Anything can be a currency.

seriously, I'm not sure why they need to declare it one way or the other. things have value because WE give them value. people decided bitcoins were worth something and that's why they're used as they are... I don't think we needed a judge to OK it..?

Nesotenso

Many internet services and subscriptions. Even goods from online stores.

moneyforbtc.com converts bitcoins into USD.

so but bitcoins with usd. use those bitcoins to buy stuff online ?

is there an exchange rate ?

I am aware it functions as a form of encrypted transaction

jediyoshi

so but bitcoins with usd. use those bitcoins to buy stuff online ?

is there an exchange rate ?

I am aware it functions as a form of encrypted transaction

Things are bought and transferred directly as bitcoins. It's not super important understanding how they come about, just that they're essentially just generated.

Mully

From what I understand based on the thirty minutes Stuff You Should Know devoted to it, it sounds like a solid currency system that will stop having crazy inflation in the coming years as the amount of currency released diminishes.

RustyO

I still don't quite understand Bitcoins... my understanding is your chrun algorithims to decrpy encrypted data to get hash keys... and these give you BitCoins?

The whole thing sounds like one big Ponzi scheme to me.

From what I understand based on the thirty minutes Stuff You Should Know devoted to it, it sounds like a solid currency system that will stop having crazy inflation in the coming years as the amount of currency released diminishes.

What do you think happens with a finite limit of currency?

PS: I think I might go watch that "Stuff You Should Know"

Kickz

So for those predicting dollar collapse, how soon will that be? Are we good for atleast the next decade? Is the fact that prices are going up for everything related to the dollars value plummeting?

robochimp

This is exactly what it is. Dutch government is also franticly looking for a way to make Bitcoin an official currency so it will be taxable.

It's pathetic.

It already is taxed. When you convert your bitcoins to dollars you technically would have to claim a gain as income.

There won't be a line on your tax form asking you to declare your holdings in bitcoins, just as there is no such line asking you to claim your gold.

So for those predicting dollar collapse, how soon will that be? Are we good for atleast the next decade? Is the fact that prices are going up for everything related to the dollars value plummeting?

If you think the dollar will be collapsing soon, then feel free to give your dollars to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom