• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Forest Games, the studio behind the recent Destroy All Humans remakes, has cut about 50% of staff

Kuranghi

I enjoyed the first remake (having never played the original) but that second one hit the clearance bins pretty quickly around where I live. I think the novelty wore off after the first one.

I enjoyed the 2nd one too but the game is broken on PC still and by the time it came to PSN+ the excitement for it had worn off. Its not peak gaming but I had fun, though the UFO abduction missions were bizarrely rote.

CamHostage

I enjoyed the first remake (having never played the original) but that second one hit the clearance bins pretty quickly around where I live. I think the novelty wore off after the first one.

It also never came to Switch, which is a shame IMO since these mess-around playground games are most accessible to me on a portable.

I liked the approach THQ Nordic (an Embracer Group company) was taking in remaking old games as a testing ground and developer training exercise before moving into a brand new game in the franchise. DAH wasn't anything I really loved, but I could see them doing some wild, original stuff with a new game after redoing 1/2 (I didn't assume they'd bother with Big Willy/Path of Furon.)

Unfortunately, it's not looking good for pretty much any Embracer project at the moment.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You can’t remaster something from that era, call it a remake, and thennn sell it for almost full price…well you can, but don’t expect to survive it, unless you are a huge studio.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I'm glad we got the Kingdoms of Amalur remaster before Embracer began its epic collapse.
That's a very solid remaster of a fantastic game.
Load times were still ass though. That was the one thing I really cared about with that remaster. Especially when moving into a building.

MikeM

The gaming industry is really cutting over the last year. Terrible for all those out of work.

That sucks, I was really hoping to see them do something else with Destroy All Humans.

It was such a miracle for that series to come back at all, sucks it figures it'd be so short lived.

xrnzaaas

The first remake was so bad I didn't even buy the sequel. Reminds me of the Medievil remake - they've upgraded the graphics, but left A TON of outdated and annoying mechanics (like not being able to do anything if you haven't prepared well enough for the final fight).

Maybe I'm too old for this shit, but I would expect that a modern remake was more accessible and, well, modern.

Last edited:
Top Bottom