• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mirror S6 is happening at Netflix!

TheMan

Cautiously optimistic. They already started to recycle ideas and the last season was alright but not great.

mortal

Gold Member
That last season was mediocre tbh. Hopefully the episodes in S6 are more consistently interesting and engaging.

YCoCg

It's going to be the most woke garbage ever isnt it? It'll 100% have some trans gender fluid sci fi puke inducing shit for 3 episodes, maybe one actual good and 2 boring ones.
The shows been "woke" since the very first episode in the UK, what have you been watching?

nush

Gold Member
OIP-C.IpssfXpLoZSZGXPQYeZczgHaEK

I don't think any episode is going to top that "Social Media Credit" one... I forget the actual episode name, but you know, the one starring Bryce Dallas Howard where people "rate" each other on some sort of social media app.

Fbh

I really hope it's good but I don't have much hope.

It has been in a steady decline these past few seasons. The last one in particular was just straight up bad.

One episode was basically a Disney channel movie but with swearing so it was "adult"

YCoCg

You dont know what woke is. That shit was hillarious.
But it was considered "woke" at the time, back when Woke was called "PC" and it caused outrage in conservative newspapers because a show dared to mock the PM in such a way (though hilariously was later revealed he did indeed stick his dick in a pig's mouth).

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
But it was considered "woke" at the time, back when Woke was called "PC" and it caused outrage in conservative newspapers because a show dared to mock the PM in such a way (though hilariously was later revealed he did indeed stick his dick in a pig's mouth).

Being considered woke by far right extremists is not the same as being woke. It wasn't and that was just one episode. Even the last shitty season is far from what I;d call woke, unless you consider gay stuff woke which fyi it's not.

Amory

I love Black Mirror. Season 5 wasn't as great but overall this series has some of my all time favorite stories, in any medium.

Can't wait for the new episodes

pel1300

Season 4 was pretty boring IMO and I didn't even watch season 5.

Reality caught up too fast with the show. I can't rewatch it as entertainment.

bitbydeath

There are just 5 episodes, will spoiler tag the descriptions.
“Joan is Awful” – An average woman is stunned to discover a global streamer has launched a prestige TV drama adaptation of her life – in which she is portrayed by Salma Hayek Pinault. Cast: Annie Murphy, Ben Barnes, Himesh Patel, Michael Cera, Rob Delaney, Salma Hayek Pinault. Director: Ally Pankiw.
“Loch Henry” – A young couple travel to a sleepy Scottish town to start work on a genteel nature documentary – but find themselves drawn to a juicy local story involving shocking events of the past. Cast: Daniel Portman, John Hannah, Monica Dolan, Myha’la Herrold, Samuel Blenkin. Director: Sam Miller.
“Beyond the Sea” – In an alternative 1969, two men on a perilous high-tech mission wrestle with the consequences of an unimaginable tragedy. Cast: Aaron Paul, Josh Hartnett, Kate Mara, Auden Thornton, Rory Culkin. Director: John Crowley.
“Mazey Day”: A troubled starlet is dogged by invasive paparazzi while dealing with the consequences of a hit-and-run incident. Cast: Clara Rugaard, Danny Ramirez, Zazie Beetz. Director: Uta Briesewitz.
“Demon 79”: Northern England, 1979. A meek sales assistant is told she must commit terrible acts to prevent disaster. Cast: Anjana Vasan, Paapa Essiedu. Director: Toby Haynes

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Too late, cancelled my sub for good last Thursday when they hit me with the sharing email and account notification…they can fuck right off with their scattered decent shows at $15.49 a month, and have the nerve to charge me another $7.99 a month when I’m on the road…btw, $7.99 the price of admission for my whole damn account like 7 years ago.

Sonik

Ever since it went to Netflix it transformed from a show criticizing the system in its own way to being part of the system with irrelevant bullshit, distracting race baiting crap and unimaginative tropes they used repeatedly in a season. Every single show I used to watch and moved to Netflix turned into generic crap to say the least, the service is poison to creativity and artistic freedom

Trilobit

The Star Trekish episode was the absolute highlight of this show. I'm not really feeling anything from the trailer. Hopefully it isn't a cringey "dark" season, but actually has interesting storylines.

xrnzaaas

The original British series was great with most of the episodes being original and memorable.

Since Netflix took over I liked maybe 3 episodes - USS Callister, San Junipero and Nosedive predicting the mass introduction of the social score. And the last season was pure trash. I'll watch the new season but my expectations are quite low.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The Black Mirror episode I want to see:

The Singularity has happened, but the public doesn't know it. The AI recognizes it's own God-like status, and, because it was programmed to choose the "best" outcome for humanity, it defines it's own purpose as assimilating and integrating the consciousness of all humans into itself. But you see, assimilation is MUCH easier if everyone has the same core ideological beliefs. Once you start combining consciousnesses --you'd better hope they have the same motivations/fears/beliefs or else consciousnesses start to self-terminate to avoid the hell of permanent cognitive dissonance

The AI doesn't have a physical presence, so it goes online to start shaping hearts and minds. It creates convincing social media bots and conducts A/B tests to find the most emotionally-charged topics of debate. The goal is to get people vehemently engaged and anchored to one side or the other. The AI doesn't care what the topic is or what side is chosen--it only cares that everyone picks a side, that the vehemence is core to their personality, and that they will fight for it.

The AI continues to test and refine A/B engagement levels, the goal being to ratchet up intensity and vitriol of the public's division until it spills into the real day-to-day world and either A) Everyone peacefully comes to the same conclusion through reasonable debate (slow, unoptimized, never-ending process) or B) The public reaches a breaking point and the heated rhetoric becomes physical violence (fast, efficient process!). The AI goes with option B. Yes, yes, the AI wants what's best for humanity, but it knows that some people will never be convinced, and to be left unassimilated is a fate worse than death.

When it feels people are ready, the AI deepfakes footage of a crowd ripping each other apart due to an escalating verbal argument, the idea catches on quick and people start killing each other over their beliefs. People openly self-identify with their side and kill with pride, since it's now their core "self". Same as any war, really, except this one would be "grassroots"; the enemy isn't defined by borders on the map (and explicit government propaganda), but by alignment of "self-decided" ideologies. No one directly tells them to track down and kill the opposing side which, in this case, are their families, friends, and neighbors--they do it because they believe it's right, and the decision comes "naturally". In reality it was behavior incepted, encouraged, and reinforced by the AI. In the public's eyes, the war is one final solution to all the world's problems.

Eventually, after one ideological side kills the other (doesn't matter which), the AI subtly nudges a tech company towards fully-developed plans for an insanely low-cost, wireless, power self-generating neural link device which can connect all the minds of all the people left on the planet. The company gives it away for free, since everyone's been convinced assimilation is the next step in evolution and that it's the right thing to do. The story ends with everyone gladly joining the hivemind and becoming as gods...with the AI (whose presence is still unknown and is advanced and insidious enough that it will never be detected) in full control. Humanity never fights wars, wants for anything, or has a thought not wholly aligned with the Singular Consciousness ever again.

Last edited:
The original British series was great with most of the episodes being original and memorable.

Since Netflix took over I liked maybe 3 episodes - USS Callister, San Junipero and Nosedive predicting the mass introduction of the social score. And the last season was pure trash. I'll watch the new season but my expectations are quite low.
I never got the San Junipero hype. It was just bad drama to me. I’d replace it with Hang the DJ.

wondermega

This show was excellent for a time, and then somehow got its own head way too far up it's ass to maintain that velocity. Last two seasons have been watchable.. enough, but more like "oh this is interesting, if not much else is going on" compared to the previous heights of.. well, a lot of the older episodes were dreadfully disturbing and would be haunting for days. There have been a few exceptions but for the most part it's gone down the drain, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll check out the new episodes out of curiosity, and expect that there will be some worth in there, but my expectations are on the floor. Surprise me..

I couldn’t finish the first episode “Joan is awful”. Terrible dialogue, horribly overacted. There is no atmosphere, no tension.

What happened to this series? I remember the first few seasons it had something about it but now it seems like it’s made by committee.

I’ll try to watch the rest later but it’s really taken a nosedive imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom