• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther 2 star Letitia Wright (Shuri) rumored to have COVID, production shut down and Disney is covering it up with an injury story

ManaByte

Last week Disney halted production on Black Panther 2, claiming that Letitia Wright suffered an injury on set and while they were able to shoot around her scenes, it was no longer possible to continue without her:

The Marvel feature, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, is temporarily shutting down due to the severity of the injury sustained by star Letitia Wright, sources close to the production tell The Hollywood Reporter.

She went home to London, where due to her anti-vax stance, she might not even be able to return:

Logistical challenges await for studios that are working with stars who haven’t gotten the shot. Disney’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever star Letitia Wright — who portrays the lead Shuri, the sister of Black Panther T’Challa (the late Chadwick Boseman) — is not vaccinated, sources say. After sustaining an on-set injury in August, the Guyanese-born British actress went home to London.

Now, a return to the U.S. for a possible shoot in Atlanta, where Wakanda Forever is based, could be an issue. On Nov. 8, the CDC implemented rules that require all non-immigrant, non-citizen air travelers to the U.S. be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination status before boarding a plane. Wright is not a U.S. citizen. Disney declined to comment.

Now the rumor is that she actually did catch COVID and the injury story is just Disney trying to save face:

It's going to look REALLY bad if they refused to recast T'Challa after Chadwick Boseman died of cancer, but then decide to recast Shuri just to make a release date.

Last edited:

Mistake

Just because she doesn’t want the covid shot doesn’t make her “anti-vax.” Unless you show me she’s spreading stuff around like vaccines give autism, let’s quit wacko rhetoric. Not sure why disney is trying to save face unless they’re following the vaccine mandate

Imagine destroying a multi-million dollar project because of your anti-vax beliefs.

Should probably just scrap the movie at this point and do some crazy time jump or something. Have a Wakanda set in the year 4000 in space and they have to time travel back to alter events because of a future apocalypse. And altering the timeline makes it so Black Panther is Michael Jordan because his dad never left.

ManaByte

Just because she doesn’t want the covid shot doesn’t make her “anti-vax.” Unless you show me she’s spreading stuff around like vaccines give autism, let’s quit wacko rhetoric. Not sure why disney is trying to save face unless they’re following the vaccine mandate
She was chased off Twitter last December after sharing an extremely whack-o anti-vax video:

Imagine destroying a multi-million dollar project because of your anti-vax beliefs.

Should probably just scrap the movie at this point and do some crazy time jump or something. Have a Wakanda set in the year 4000 in space and they have to time travel back to alter events because of a future apocalypse. And altering the timeline makes it so Black Panther is Michael Jordan because his dad never left.

Was just thinking that they should scrap it and any setup for future stuff that's in the movie be moved to Disney+ shows.

Last edited:

Mistake

She was chased off Twitter last December after sharing an extremely whack-o anti-vax video:
From your article it seems she was asking a lot of questions, and instead of getting proper guidance, got flamed for it. But yeah, probably shouldn’t have shared the video considering her status

(double post, on mobile sorry)

Last edited:

ManaByte

From your article it seems she was asking a lot of questions, and instead of getting proper guidance, got flamed for it. But yeah, probably shouldn’t have shared the video considering her status

It wasn't just "asking questions". It was one of those crazy vaccine conspiracy videos from one of those internet pastors who continue to spread misinfomation about the shot.

Black Panther was 90% ideo-political messaging and 10% bad movie.
Kinda ironic to see one of the main cast turn out to be an anti-vaxxer. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Disney covering up for her shows yet again how little backbone these companies really have.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Chadwick was born to play Black Panther, if they decide to make Black Panther 2 their first job is to find a new black panther, not creating a hellscape of covid, anti-vax and waiting for injuries to reocver. Stars go missing all the time in movies for various reasons.
Movie GIF

Mistake

All this talk about recasting makes me genuinely surprised these corporations haven't tried using sound and video libraries to bring back the dead. I'm sure the backlash would be immense, but I wouldn't put it past them

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol imagine stopping production on a potential billion dollar movie because of one person's beliefs. gotta love this new world. Employees used to be expendable and would get replaced immediately. now employers are going out of their way to protect them. crazy.

Alx

I don't understand why they would want to hide the fact that she got Covid. It's not like it's a shameful disease like AIDS could have been at some time, and I suppose she never claimed to be 100% immune to covid while not taking a vaccine. Catching the virus doesn't prove you wrong whatever your stance may be towards the vaccine, the only opinion it can disprove is "covid doesn't exist".

Thaedolus

If you don’t get a safe and effective vaccine which reduces the chance of serious complications by like 90% in the middle of a pandemic, you’re an antivax retard and should be shamed as such

Mistake

Yes, it does. The vaccine has been administered a few billion times, stop with the 'both sides' BS.
It also hasn't been a few billion times ;)
If you don’t get a safe and effective vaccine which reduces the chance of serious complications by like 90% in the middle of a pandemic, you’re an antivax retard and should be shamed as such
Something something political thread something something

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Hilarious.

One anti-vax twat shutting down an entire multi million dollar movie 🤣 And Disney can’t afford the bad press if they let her back on the film without the vax. Glorious, glorious stuff.

Nice for Chadwick’s legacy though, eh? One of his co-stars happy to put people suffering from the same thing he had in grave danger.

Last edited:
Wonder if they are rethinking/regretting putting such an important franchise in the hands of an anti-sciencer. IMO, the M'Baku guy from the first one would have been a better way to go even before this. I don't really think she has the chops to carry such a big movie.

Also, Civil War was the best version of BP. Best attitude, best action, best suit.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Bullshit, you're the one who quoted me. Now who's spinning things?
I responded to what you said and spoke in general terms, not attacking you personally. Again, if you identify as a retard trying to spin things, then that’s your problem. I never said anything specifically about you, unless you heard “retard” and felt attacked.

Xenon

Was just thinking that they should scrap it and any setup for future stuff that's in the movie be moved to Disney+ shows.

Quote from the first article
The video, which was from the YouTube channel “On The Table,” questions the legitimacy of the COVID-19 vaccine. It also appears skeptical of climate change, accuses China of spreading COVID-19 and includes transphobic comments.

I'm surprised she is able to walk free with such dangerous thoughts, let alone star in a movie that will edutain millions.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
"I don care.."

I truly liked that version of BP better than the movie version. I don't like that they changed him so much in the standalone movie even though I liked the movie overall.

That first time seeing it in theaters tho... It was emotional. Not gonna lie. Especially seeing them go into Wakanda for the first time.

Top Bottom