• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blind Squirrel was indeed working on Mortal Kombat Remaster but it was cancelled, first screenshots

Shin

Banned
Back in December 2018, we informed you about the cancelled remakes of the first classic Mortal Kombat games. And while a lot of people believed that Blind Squirrel Games was working on new remasters for these fighting games, it appears that this remastered collection has also been cancelled.

Let’s take things from the beginning though. In 2017, the team behind Mortal Kombat HD Kommunity, also known as Mortal Kombat HD Remix and Mortal Kombat Returns, was given the green light to develop remasters of the first three Mortal Kombat games. However, and out of nowhere, Warner Bros informed the team in early 2018 that it no longer needed it for this particular project.

“At the end of August we were once again in front of Ed Boon, this time presenting a playable version of Mortal Kombat Returns. Ed loved it and not soon after he advocated to WB executives that they should talk to us about partnering to release the game.

After several pitches later to the highest level of WB’s production, finance and sales teams, the team received a call saying, “Your project is heading toward a green light.

After about a week another phone call, “Sorry we’ve decided to go in a different direction and we won’t be needing your group. We can’t trust development of such an important project to a team without any completed game titles.” This occurred around mid January 2018.”

Since then, a lot speculated that another team was working on this remastered collection. Rumours surfaced in late 2018, suggesting that Blind Squirrel was working on Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remaster and we can now confirm that while the team was indeed working on this project, it has also been cancelled.

iLXXQS3.jpg

Credit: DSoG
Note: view the source above for more screenshots and the full article.

Nymphae

Banned
I wonder if it would be possible to literally use the original performance capture data they had but at a higher resolution. It would be pretty awesome to use the exact same models but with additional animation frames, effects, and clean ups that they couldn't do back then.

Wonko_C

Is this the same that started as a MUGEN fan project that was going to supossedly move to Unreal Engine?

I guess this is doomed to never happen. They attempted this last generation but ended up just releasing standard emulation of the original arcade trilogy. Truly disappointing news. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

theHFIC

No Remaster, just give us a PS4/XBO re-release of the Mortal Kombat Kollection. Take advantage of the hardware for arcade perfect emulated versions of MK 1, 2, 3/ UMK3. Give netplay and local multiplayer. The PS3 version was one of the most complete and well emulated releases of the original 3 arcade games.

I'll take MK Trilogy too.

zenspider

It' a shame. The team obviously has passion for the project, and it looks like they were going in the right direction.

Looking forward to the thread bump when a half-assed official remaster releases.

JimmyJones

Banned
I would have been all over this shit! Tis a damn shame! I have zero interest in MK11. MK9 was awesome but I don’t like the direction they took after that.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It would be a really strange and interesting look if they had re-done all the sprites by recording everything fresh with cheap 90s costumes. But this time it would be with HD cameras and the ability to show way more frames for the animations without having to compress it to hell.

lock2k

Banned
That is very strange? I owned the original PS version and I have the PC version and I have never had any issues or bugs for that matter?

Me neither.

Only had a blast playing it and I have it installed in my PSP and I boot it from time to time.

I've been waiting for a super high-res remake with the original sprites, in fact pretty much anything 90s that used real-world scan-to-sprite technics (like Duke Nukem 3D).

AND, here's the legal caveat
if you live in dumbistan, well you have few rights and fuck you, but if you do live outside of dumbistan, you don't plan on monetising your fan project, and the rightholders haven't or have been unwilling to maintain their backlog to today's standards (in every sense), you absolutely have the RIGHT (yup, legal right) to make a remake/remaster of an original title for the purpose of adaptation, archiving and culture.

Believe it or not, but unless rightholder not only deposit the project/title for a remaster/remake and ACTUALLY have a prototype of it as proof of working title, they have no right to C&D or demand a fan remaster/remake be suspended.

But here's the subtlety (of course there are some): you don't actually have the right to use any copyrighted material in other supports outside of information, research, education or parody purposes. You actually HAVE to be doing your remake/remaster by following the original title as close as possible for it not to be considered a derivative. So as far as right is concerned anywhere in civilised countries, companies had no right to have some of these remasters like the Kotor2 remake and countless other projects, removed.

johntown

Banned
It crashed all the time for me. And then the load times...
The load times I can understand. The crashing could possibly be attributed to GFWL and not the actual game itself. I cannot speak to your PC or knowledge either so I am just making assumptions here.

No worries though......I was just curious since I never really had any issues.

93xfan

Banned
The load times I can understand. The crashing could possibly be attributed to GFWL and not the actual game itself. I cannot speak to your PC or knowledge either so I am just making assumptions here.

No worries though......I was just curious since I never really had any issues.

I had the PS1 version. Swapped out the game and the same issues occurred.

Top Bottom