• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard and Nvidia investigating reports Diablo 4 is killing RTX 3080 Ti GPUs

Just an fyi, might be nothing, might be something but always limit your framerates as a general rule not just for Diablo 4. Anyway more details below.

Update: The Diablo 4 team are investigating reports of RTX 3080 Ti graphics cards crashing or dying while playing the game's closed beta. Customer support says Blizzard is "working closely with Nvidia to identify affected hardware configurations and gather as many data points as possible to assist in the investigation."

For affected users, the team offers the following advice in a forum thread(opens in new tab):

If your card is still not working, try these troubleshooting steps:

• Conduct a complete power cycle (AC OFF->AC ON) and see if GPU can be detected under Windows.
  • If GPU can be found under Windows, do a clean driver install.

How to limit your frame rate within the Nvidia Control Panel​

• Open Nvidia Control Panel (right click on desktop)
  • Scroll down to Manage 3D Settings
  • Change Max Frame Rate to On
  • Choose a max frame rate (your monitor's refresh rate will do)
  • Click Apply
  • You may need to restart the game or your entire system for the changes to apply

Stay safe playing the beta.

feynoob

Banned
That is a lot of money in the drain.
caught ted GIF

Feel sorry for those who lost their cards.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dowloaded fornite last night to play some of the newer UE5 demos and for whatever reason, a game took like 3 minutes to load. I checked the CPU because my fans was on full blast and it was at 100% consuming almost 200 watts! Almost up to 85 degrees.

I dont know if it was precompiling shaders or what but ive never seen my cpu stay up that high outside of cinemark. Always have GPU and CPU temps on when playing new games.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Fuck this dude

Why? I don't want to fuck him...

All jokes aside, why the hate towards him. I subbed to his channel a few month ago and I dont have any problems with him.

I watched the video this morning, and it seemed very logical that its not the actual game bricking the gpu.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Oh snap thanks for posting this I have a 3080 Ti and I just installed Diablo IV was getting ready for the weekend, I guess I’ll get it on PS5 now.

PC heh

sendit

Limit your frame rates peeps (multiple options to do this). There is no reason to go above a monitors refresh rate.

sendit

We still get the benefit from the input lag of higher frame rates than the screen refresh rate.
A cunt hair difference that no one will notice.

For example, if you're fluctuating between 144-200 FPS in Diablo 4 on a 144 hz monitor. It's probably best to limit frames to 144. I would rather have a screen tare free experience over fluctuating input latency.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Hasnt it been proven that Crypto mining doesnt affect the cards as much as people think they do.
Maybe you could get lucky and find a bargain, or maybe you would buy something that some scammer has "refurbished" from parts that have failed. I don't know how much people think this happens compared to how much it happens.

HTK

Banned
I'm about to boot up Diablo IV with my EVGA 3080 Ti, I capped the frame rate at a measly 120fps. Wish me luck.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sadly, the most likely explanation is people bought burnt out second hand crypto mining cards and this was the first game they played with them.
what, since when crypto mining actually stress the card in any capacity. You will get more beat up card, if you take from some "gamer overclocker", basis for making money while mining is to have as low consumption as possible. And since it has to run 24/7, then the biggest PCB killer, thermal cycle stress (cold, hot, cold, hot, ...) is also minimal.

I can understand why crypto miners are unpopular with normal gamer, but lets not get low IQ

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
what, since when crypto mining actually stress the card in any capacity. You will get more beat up card, if you take from some "gamer overclocker", basis for making money while mining is to have as low consumption as possible. And since it has to run 24/7, then the biggest PCB killer, thermal cycle stress (cold, hot, cold, hot, ...) is also minimal.

I can understand why crypto miners are unpopular with normal gamer, but lets not get low IQ
Are we forgetting the AMD 6000 series cards dying because of a driver update that ended up actually being a bad batch of ex crypto cards?

Wildebeest

Naturally, all crypto miners are consummate professionals when it came to their server rooms and never let the cards overheat. And certainly nobody would take second hand cards dumped onto the market that were visibly scuffed with obvious heat damage and "refurbish" them to make them look nice and new. That would be low IQ and unethical, just for money, nobody would do these things just for mere money.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Are we forgetting the AMD 6000 series cards dying because of a driver update that ended up actually being a bad batch of ex crypto cards?
Do we? I don't know, AMD card (post RX580) wasn't really popular for crypto mining. So it wasn't immediately obvious. But sure low quality products like Radeon VII, were dying due to memory issues after ETH mining, sure, but that card had HBM memory.

winjer

Gold Member
If true that's some God-tier engineering work right there. Bravo Blizzard, good job mates.

This is not an issue with the game, it's an issue with the analog controller on the GPU. Similar to the situation where 3090 FTW3's were dying in the game New World.
Diablo 4, just happened to expose the fault's on some GPUs hardware designs of the 3080Ti from AIBs.
NVidia and Blizzard are already working together:

Hello everyone,

The Diablo 4 team has been investigating the reports of GPU issues mentioned in this thread and elsewhere online. The team is working closely with Nvidia to identify affected hardware configurations and gather as many data points as possible to assist in the investigation.

If your card is still not working, try these troubleshooting steps:
  • Conduct a complete power cycle (AC OFF->AC ON) and see if GPU can be detected under Windows.
  • If GPU can be found under Windows, do a clean driver install.
If that doesn’t work, please reply and include the following information or logs:
  1. GPU card vendor and model number
  2. Display resolution when running Diablo IV
  3. Display mode (Windowed/Windowed Fullscreen/Fullscreen)
  4. Max Foreground FPS, Max Background FPS
  5. Diablo IV graphic quality settings, preset with Low/Medium/High. Or more detail with custom settings.

ManaByte

1. Max Foreground FPS, Max Background FPS

Will be interesting to see how many people with dead GPUs have these uncapped.

I learned my lesson from having WoW uncapped in the background and it eventually wore out a GPU. After that I always cap both foreground and background FPS.

CGNoire

I dowloaded fornite last night to play some of the newer UE5 demos and for whatever reason, a game took like 3 minutes to load. I checked the CPU because my fans was on full blast and it was at 100% consuming almost 200 watts! Almost up to 85 degrees.

I dont know if it was precompiling shaders or what but ive never seen my cpu stay up that high outside of cinemark. Always have GPU and CPU temps on when playing new games.
:eek: shit sounds scary.

it might be nothing but my 4080s fans starting going 100% for no reason playing the beta. i thought it might be hitting insane temps but was still at ~40C. not sure if it's the game or the new drivers. thought i'd share just incase it happens to someone else and panics lol. my 4080 is a founders edition.

And people still try to convince me that PC gaming is easy and plug and play as consoles... gtfo
It's not as simple as plugging in a power cable and hdmi cable but it's still easy to set up. and it ain't like games kill/brick GPUs all the time. i've had more consoles die on me than i've ever had games kill my PC hardware. it's absolutely not fair to take this as a reason to avoid PC gaming.

when it comes to PC yeah it might be more work but that's because you have more freedom. to play games on PC you just need to know how to build the PC, install Windows/GPU drivers and install Steam. everything else is a matter of preference.

you can get someone to build your PC for you if you dont want to do it. you can buy a prebuilt which comes pre assembled and with windows installed and some places will even make sure it's stable and has latest drivers/steam installed.

if you're just a casual player who wants no hassle then get a console. if you want the best gaming experience with the freedom to do what you want with your hardware then PC is the way to go. it requires more effort but you get so much more out of it.

MikeM

And people still try to convince me that PC gaming is easy and plug and play as consoles... gtfo
PC can be a big pile of shit sometimes. You pay big money and dumb things can happen because something doesn’t like a driver or whatever.

In saying that, PC offers the best fidelity and fluidity if you have the dollars and sometimes the patience.

Consoles are the place if you want minimal headaches.

Madflavor

Alright I’m a PC player, but come on now. It’s not easy. Consoles you just buy the thing, plug it in, and play it til the end of its cycle. PC Gaming requires research on your end to get the most bang for your buck, know what builds are right for you, see which games are well/poorly optimized, etc. Occasionally you have to perform maintenance on it, and if you want to upgrade you have to spend more money and do more maintenance.

It’s not rocket science but it’s a lot of extra work in comparison to Consoles. Eventually you become so educated on Graphical Specs, you fall into a rabbit hole and inevitably become an overly-critical, snobby fuck, over every aspect of a game’s visual quality, that you enjoy gaming less than you used to.

In other words you’re The Master Race, but you lose your gaming soul in the process.

Last edited:
Top Bottom