• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard announces Gamescom plans

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
http://eu.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20216483/

Overall Note:
  • "Mark your calendar for 18:30 CEST on Tuesday, August 16, when we release a special preview video of what we’ll be showcasing at gamescom 2016, including some new game content."
  • 500 demo stations, largest presence ever.
  • Daily livestreams here: https://gamescom.blizzard.com/en-gb/
  • "Dance and costume contests, signing sessions, quizzes, contests, and more"
  • Two performances from Video Games Live.
  • "We’ll also have some epic entertainment on the Blizzard stage, and a few surprises in store."
  • Nirolak's Note: In case the bolded pieces weren't obvious, if a surprise is coming, it's not listed in the lists below. I did put in a few notes detailing what's likely however.
Hearthstone:
  • Professional card-slingers and community personalities will battle it out in exciting Hearthstone showmatches on the Blizzard stage
  • Nirolak's Note: Thijs implied that there are probably additional surprises here.
Heroes of the Storm:
  • Brawlmania will deliver an epic Heroes of the Storm showdown on the Blizzard stage throughout gamescom, as six teams of influencers and pro players face off in themed showmatches
  • The Heroes of the Storm Europe Fall Regional tournament will take place from August 17-19 on the ESL Arena stage, with the winning team moving on to compete for a piece of the $1,000,000 USD prize pool at the Fall Championship at BlizzCon
  • Nirolak's Note: Dustin Browder has implied the next two heroes will be shown here.
Diablo:
  • In celebration of Diablo’s 20th anniversary, visitors to the Blizzard booth will be able to play all three Diablo games
  • A 3D artist from the Diablo development team will create a piece of artwork live on the Blizzard stage
Overwatch:
  • The world premiere of the new Overwatch animated short will be revealed on stage and via live stream on the Blizzard gamescom hub at 18:00 CEST on Thursday, August 18
  • The Overwatch Atlantic Showdown tournament will take place from August 20-21, pitting the top four teams from both North America and Europe against each other, with a $100,000 USD prize pool on the line
  • Nirolak's Note: There's a German Castle themed Overwatch map called Black Forest that's shown up in the files lately, so if you were betting on new content, I'd suggest betting on at least that.
StarCraft 2:
  • Professional StarCraft II players will face off in exciting live showmatches on the Blizzard stage
World of Warcraft Legion:
  • From August 18-21, the Legion Café will bring a recreation of The Fel Hammer to central Cologne to celebrate the upcoming launch of World of Warcraft’s latest expansion
  • Visitors to the Blizzard booth will be able to try out the new Demon Hunter class in advance of the August 30 release of World of Warcraft: Legion
  • Two of the top World of Warcraft guilds will race against each other in Challenge Mode dungeons live on the Blizzard stage

The world premiere of the new Overwatch animated short will be revealed on stage and via live stream on the Blizzard gamescom hub at 18:00 CEST on Thursday, August 18

There it is, the rumor of the new short was correct.

Alavard

Nirolak's Note: Dustin Browder has implied the next two heroes will be shown here.

Damn, only the next two. Based on the leaks, we basically already know it's Samuro (Orc Blademaster) and Varian Wrynn.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I didn't realize we are nearing the 20th anniversary of Diablo. Hopefully they have some cool shit in the works. HD remakes/ports of Diablo 1 and 2 (or even just 1) would be pretty amazing.

Mifec

"Nirolak's Note: In case the bolded pieces weren't obvious, if a surprise is coming, it's not listed in the lists below."

Nirolak are you gonna face Kripp in a rematch against his boogeymonster deck on stage? I assume that was you in his video.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Oh man, just think of it -

There are rumors that the original Starcraft is getting an HD remake unveiled after a major tournament soon...

It's the 20th anniversary of Diablo, so they can announce an HD remake of that...

Announce an HD remake of Warcraft 3 (and/or 1 and 2) during Blizzcon

All announced within a couple months of each other. It's too much to hope for, but it would be amazing.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Always hyped for some Blizzy goodness.

Meh. What about some new game announcments.

I think it's reasonable to expect Blizzard to coast out the next couple of years with aggressive Overwatch updates/expansions, 3D remakes of the Diablo and Starcraft franchises, and maybe one or two World of Warcraft expansions after Legion. Most of which I'm looking forward to, soooo, yeah.

I expect more new SC/Diablo at some point but not super soon, and maybe (if we're lucky) even a new Warcraft RTS (only after WoW is no longer getting new content though). What *is* unusual to me is the lack of a real cliffhanger or dangling plot thread from Starcraft II. Very un-Metzen of them not to leave breadcrumbs for an eventual Starcraft 3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think it's reasonable to expect Blizzard to coast out the next couple of years with aggressive Overwatch updates/expansions, 3D remakes of the Diablo and Starcraft franchises, and maybe one or two World of Warcraft expansions after Legion. Most of which I'm looking forward to, soooo, yeah.

I expect more new SC/Diablo at some point but not super soon, and maybe (if we're lucky) even a new Warcraft RTS (only after WoW is no longer getting new content though). What *is* unusual to me is the lack of a real cliffhanger or dangling plot thread from Starcraft II. Very un-Metzen of them not to leave breadcrumbs for an eventual Starcraft 3.

They wanted to wrap up the plotline because they weren't sure they'd get to make another RTS in the style they've done thus far.

They've noted their plans are to make DLC for StarCraft 2 until they can figure out a way to reboot RTS games to be more appealing to the modern market, and listed 45 minute campaign missions as one of the things they might be moving away from.

Dark_castle

Diablo:
In celebration of Diablo’s 20th anniversary, visitors to the Blizzard booth will be able to play all three Diablo games
A 3D artist from the Diablo development team will create a piece of artwork live on the Blizzard stage

20th anniversary and this is all there is to celebrate it?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Give me an HD version of the Warcraft trilogy.

Warcraft 3 is still playable, but it still doesn't have true widescreen support.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
20th anniversary and this is all there is to celebrate it?
They're working on it.

diablocxr3h.png

They wanted to wrap up the plotline because they weren't sure they'd get to make another RTS in the style they've done thus far.

They've noted their plans are to make DLC for StarCraft 2 until they can figure out a way to reboot RTS games to be more appealing to the modern market, and listed 45 minute campaign missions as one of the things they might be moving away from.

Oh interesting, I hadn't read that.

Wasn't SC2 extremely successful?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh interesting, I hadn't read that.

Wasn't SC2 extremely successful?

It sold somewhere between 5.5 to 6 million copies, and then the expansions seemed to do in the 1 to 2 million range, maybe a bit higher when all was said and done.

If you're Sega or Paradox, that'd be astonishing. If you're Blizzard, your basis of comparison is Diablo 3 moving over 30 million copies between the base game and the expansion pack, Overwatch already hitting 15 million players, Hearthstone making hundreds of millions a year, and that's before we even get to World of Warcraft.

bjaelke

New game content at gamescom and new game announcements Blizzcon. Not a bad way to celebrate 25 years in the business.

georly

Nirolak's Note: Thijs implied that there are probably additional surprises here.

Hm. I wonder if it's actual game content or just 'surprise look who we got to show up on stage.'

Obviously won't be new cards since kharazan will have just come out, but maybe a new unique tavern brawl or... I dunno, what else does HS do that isn't an expansion/adventure that anyone could care about?

Lothars

I'm curious if the surprises will be the remade warcraft 1 and 2, that was talked about at a blizzcon a couple years ago.

Auctopus

I'll only be there for the media day so I'm bummed I'll probably miss these celebrations. Seems like a cool presence though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Last year they announced Legion at gamescom and had jack shit to announce at blizzcon unless I'm missremembering

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls was also announced at Gamescom.

That said, "some new game content" suggests updates to existing games instead of a new game to me.

wiibomb

Question to Nirolak's note... what are the kind of expectations I could take for the HS edit you made?

I don't expect anything at all, but I hardly know anything about what they usually announce

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Question to Nirolak's note... what are the kind of expectations I could take for the HS edit you made?

I don't expect anything at all, but I hardly know anything about what they usually announce

I would think something along the lines of a small feature like better stat tracking.

Diablo 2 goodies and Diablo 4 and I'm set,cmon Blizzard show me the goodies
I felt there was a chance of Diablo 4 here, but I think that's probably a bit later still given the language they're using.

Skunkers

A Diablo 2 remake/remaster would make me go batshit insane.

They should do a Diablo 2 Remake using the existing stats/formulas of D2, and a few QoL changes (like auto-gold pickup ala D3, and maybe eliminating scrolls?). I'd also prefer to skip a D1 Remake so I don't have to wait for D2, so maybe put in a mode where you can play through the D1 story using the D2 engine/classes.

Ah, it's nice to want things.

ncslamm

They should do a Diablo 2 Remake using the existing stats/formulas of D2, and a few QoL changes (like auto-gold pickup ala D3, and maybe eliminating scrolls?). I'd also prefer to skip a D1 Remake so I don't have to wait for D2, so maybe put in a mode where you can play through the D1 story using the D2 engine/classes.

Ah, it's nice to want things.

Agreed. Auto gold pick-up, respec anytime you want including stats, shared stash on account, and support resolutions up to 4k. I'd play the hell out of it...again.

Skab

It's worth noting that the hey're flying out one of the more well known Diablo streamers for this.

I don't think they would be doing that if they weren't going to be showing something new.

Agreed. Auto gold pick-up, respec anytime you want including stats, shared stash on account, and support resolutions up to 4k. I'd play the hell out of it...again.

D2 already has the perfect respec system for its gameplay.

akileese

I do wonder if Blizzard is gonna do a DII HD remake while working on Diablo IV as opposed to another three expansion. D3 is kind of like a dirty word to a lot of players even after the changes and fixes that make it fun. It could be better to just move on.

Dark_castle

A Diablo 2 remake would make me shit my pants hard. Retain the core gameplay, but build the game on whatever engine Diablo 3 is on, better graphical fidelity, but same art style, hell maybe add new difficulty, quests, classes, items, bosses, endgame contents like D3's rifts.

A man can dream.

frontovik

Banned
Kinda looking forward to the announcements and surprises, though my enthusiasm for Blizzard games have definitely soured during the past few years.

Nerokis

A Diablo 2 remake would make me shit my pants hard. Retain the core gameplay, but build the game on whatever engine Diablo 3 is on, better graphical fidelity, but same art style, hell maybe add new difficulty, quests, classes, items, bosses, endgame contents like D3's rifts.

A man can dream.

Diablo 2 is the poster child for long-term post-launch support. I dont see this happening for a number of reasons, but man, what a tribute to that legacy it would be for the remaster to come in the form of a free update for people who own the game. Revenue would come from a massive boost to D2 sales, and the console version. :p

Top Bottom